Rate your 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Final week of the year, always a good time for reflection. How was your 2019? Anyone desperate for it to be over? For me:

The Good: Moved cities, moved out of home properly, started my first job out of uni (going very well), no major family tragedies, no major illness, football teams went well.

The Bad: Still fairly isolated socially.

The Ugly: State of the planet

Overall: 8.0/10

The Good: survived (thrived really) the first whole year in my apartment- nothing at all went wrong in it re. maintenance so bonus. Had Term 3 off was wonderful, maintained friendships- and was delighted to see a good friend get married last month. Reconnected with family i had not seen in years. Had some new experiences which were fun.

The Bad: still no partner and nothing on the horizon really there at all. Had a few disappointments re this, this year. Geelong prelim loss yet again.

The Ugly: my aunty is really sick atm. Terminal i think.

Overall 8.

Last edited:
Good: Started my PhD, Went to Europe, Relationships strong, Nothing special at work but nothing bad either, Did well at several CrossFit comps

Bad: Not much. A friendship at work went sour, a few minor health issues. Essendon meh again.

Three stars. Out of five.

Really I'm just happy to have survived. Living in foreign countries all alone can be terrific in some ways and horrible in others.

For example, I'm sitting in a cafe in Hanoi right now. Xmas isn't really a thing here. I'm surrounded by young women who are doing nothing but taking photos of themselves. Over and over again. I ought to be sipping beers with brothers or playing cricket with nephews. Not watching this. Not on xmas day.

Over the course of the year I drank too much alcohol and spent too much time worrying about things outside of my control.

On the plus side, I achieved some major things in my creative / business outlet, 2020 looks more promising than I could have imagined even six months ago. And I have managed to keep the body in decent shape, which can be hard to do when you're permanently on the road, so I give myself credit for that.

Didn't get banned from bigfootys which is always a plus.

That is all.

The good: welcomed my second baby to the world, bought an investment property

The bad: my birth experience was very physically and mentally traumatic, kissed goodbye to a 14 year friendship after she attempted to sabotage me at work

The ugly:a big family rift with the in laws

Overall 8/10

The Good: I survived, I was uncertain I was going to survive for a few months there. At one stage I imagined breaking the news to my family, and imagined my death process, while walking like a zombie through the streets. So I'm glad that didn't eventuate in 2019.

The Bad: The year is basically a write-off. Nothing happened. Probably due to residual depression and anxiety throughout the year. I'm always restless and multi tasking which means I can't really focus on anything.

The Ugly: My pet died, and that was traumatic in a way that I didn't expect. She was a companion through my struggles this year, and to lose her was unexpected and sudden and isolating. I felt it worse than any human death so far.

The Good: I survived, I was uncertain I was going to survive for a few months there. At one stage I imagined breaking the news to my family, and imagined my death process, while walking like a zombie through the streets. So I'm glad that didn't eventuate in 2019.

The Bad: The year is basically a write-off. Nothing happened. Probably due to residual depression and anxiety throughout the year. I'm always restless and multi tasking which means I can't really focus on anything.

Some years are survival years and some are growth years.

None of us get out of here alive but every day above ground is chance to create a positive future for ourselves and those we love.

Some years are survival years and some are growth years.

None of us get out of here alive but every day above ground is chance to create a positive future for ourselves and those we love.

Some people don't have much scope to grow, so I guess it's just survival.

The good: welcomed my second baby to the world, bought an investment property

The bad: my birth experience was very physically and mentally traumatic, kissed goodbye to a 14 year friendship after she attempted to sabotage me at work

The ugly:a big family rift with the in laws

Overall 8/10
im only "liking" the birth of your second child.

Was OK. Went on/seas started new job but finished the year extremely tired and worn out. Feel like I need to make a few changes but too stuffed ATM. Few prospects but was quiet on the women front but I will keep reaching for the rainbow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Almost finished uni, increased my social circle, resurgence of the mighty Brisbane lions, good health and fortune for myself and family and friends.

Bad: Season ending injury at footy after playing 3 games, less hours at casual jobs so stagnated financially.

Ugly: Had my heart broken, and broke someone else's heart.

A challenging year, learnt many lessons, but ended the year a better person. 7/10.

Good: Finally managed to buy a place, way too many decades renting shitholes; now I have a mortgage on one instead.
Finished grad dip in an area with lots of jobs.

Bad: Job loss, as is always the way with cobtracting witha small skillset which runs hot and cold at a moment's notice.
Grad Dip is proving useless. Lots of jobs, but only for people with commercial experience - despite there being far fewer people with experience than demand. (Well, that or marketing - * those campaigners - and even there, getting a foot-in is basically impossible without knowing people.)

Ugly: That guy in the mirror, but he's not new for 2019, just older, fatter and uglier than in the past

Learned: How far backwards uni standards have slipped, at least in some cases. Weighted average Distinction, my arse. I would have failed close to half the units if they marked things like they did back when I did my Bachelors degree at a rather low-ranking uni.

Much better year than I was expecting 12 months ago. Everyone stayed relatively healthy, we bought a new house, and I made decent progress on my postgrad.

2020 is looking like it might be challenging, but there’s also stuff to look forward to.

The Good: Came on in leaps and bounds socially, had a couple of great interstate trips.

The Bad: Haven't really lost weight at all this year or achieved much of note, sort of felt like I've just tread water.

The Ugly: Started struggling a lot more with mental health issues.

Rating: 4/10

Good: our third and last bun is in the oven, due in a couple of months. The excitement of that, plus the feeling that hopefully in two years life will be on track and I'll have a bit more time for myself.

Promotion at work and thriving in the new role, considering everything else that's been going on is really a pretty special achievement. This time twelve months ago I would have thought I'd be unlikely to still be here now, but now I see clear opportunities for progression and would love to stay here for 10+ years.

Bad: Lack of time for myself. It's been a constant challenge to get to a Geelong or Melbourne City game, or even catch up with mates for a few after work on Friday. Beyond that, the feeling that I don't really want to: being too knackered after getting up at 3am and not getting to bed until 10:30-11:00. And if I don't do those hours, there's no time for a run or to keep somewhat fit. Basically it's a trade off: sleep or fitness.

Ugly: I can feel my stepdaughter starting to drift away from me and the feeling that there's not much at the moment that I can do about it. We literally don't spend time together with just the two of us and I'm sure she feels that I treat her unfairly compared to her younger sister. Top resolution for 2020 is to get time to just spend with her and reboot the relationship.

Overall 8/10. The good is brilliant and the other stuff feels temporary/fixable.

Good: Got a new job, got married, went to the States on our honeymoon, bought land and have placed a deposit with a volume builder with construction due to begin next year. Doing very well financially considering the expenditure we've had this year. Started back at my old job which has been great. Friendships are going strong and feel great with how it's all going. One of my best mates become a dad, and another is due to become a dad next year.

Bad: The new job didn't work out. Taught me a lot about myself though. Was coming home miserable most days and hated being there. My wife and I having a few silly fights over how much she works.

The ugly: My dad being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer after having emergency bowel surgery and spending 5 days in ICU. My mum is also having some issues with her body - bad knees and bad shoulders which cause her a lot of pain which isn't nice to see.

The Good: Came on in leaps and bounds socially, had a couple of great interstate trips.

The Bad: Haven't really lost weight at all this year or achieved much of note, sort of felt like I've just tread water.

The Ugly: Started struggling a lot more with mental health issues.

Rating: 4/10

Hope you've done okay over Christmas mate. If you're growing socially, hopefully that's helped.

Good: Was in a very good mental space for the first time in years. The existential crisis that had plagued me for years settled, whilst things aren’t perfect, I feel like I’m on a good track.

I also travelled around Europe and made some lasting memories.

Bad: Feeling like a bit of a rut still living at home, not to mention I live in a boring suburb. Hoping to move out on a year or two.

Ugly: Had a cousin commit suicide. Hadn’t seen him in years and werent close, however it was still a huge shock to everyone.

8/10

Good : Financially stable

Bad : Overworked

Ugly : Deaths in the family

Overall it was an average year. Really the first year I felt somewhat mature doing less of the socializing and partying and more of the knuckling down and saving. Mainly due to not having the energy for hangovers anymore/friends having kids and settling down.

Hmmm bit of a meh year. Nothing great or terrible but will give it a go

Good: Doing well at work clients love me, have started learning a language (although only 20min a day when I get a chance)

Bad: Job is moving to what would be an hours drive away so despite enjoying it may look elsewhere as the money isn't worth 2 hours in the car each day for the same pay

Nothing really too serious on the female front which IDK if that's a bad thing but just coming to terms with maybe theres a reason behind I'm now 27 and never really done more than casual/one night stuff. Just thinking aboit it a bit more as mates/peoole I know of a similar age are mostly with partners and even a couple with kids

Ugly: Nothing really touch wood

Hmmm bit of a meh year. Nothing great or terrible but will give it a go

Good: Doing well at work clients love me, have started learning a language (although only 20min a day when I get a chance)

Bad: Job is moving to what would be an hours drive away so despite enjoying it may look elsewhere as the money isn't worth 2 hours in the car each day for the same pay

Nothing really too serious on the female front which IDK if that's a bad thing but just coming to terms with maybe theres a reason behind I'm now 27 and never really done more than casual/one night stuff. Just thinking aboit it a bit more as mates/peoole I know of a similar age are mostly with partners and even a couple with kids

Ugly: Nothing really touch wood
On the Female front, you will have countless opportunities. You're 27, it will come your way without you even trying. And who cares about what your mates have etc.

You have over a decade at least of great times, the best of times, coming you way. At least a decade. If you are looking for a relationship, it will happen. But let it fall into place and don't look too hard. And don't seek to have a relationship just for the sake of it.

Enjoy now. Let the future be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back