Rated-yet-underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the underbelly of that great Aus team.

Guys like Paul Rieffel, Kasprowicz, Bichel etc had pretty solid records.

Rieffel is probably in the very underrated list considering he still played 35 tests.

Got 100 test wickets @ 26.95 and averaged 26 with the bat.......

Rieffel is probably in the very underrated list considering he still played 35 tests.

Reiffel was a jet. I think he’s a lot better than the other two, who were good performers but just short of top shelf. From memory Pistol did really well in England

I'll say Daryll Cullinan. Averaged close to 45 in 70 tests, often maligned due to looking dumbfounded against Warne and is seen by many as a joke due to this.

Also Saeed Anwar. Probably Pakistan's bet batsman in the 90's although doesn't get the same exposure as say Inzamam, Yousuf
If we are judging purely on their cricket, Salim Malik was a very attractive batsman to watch.

Colin Croft.

When people think of the great Windies quicks of the past, they think of Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Garner, Walsh, Roberts.

But almost everyone I talk to forgets about Croft. He was the fourth prong of Clive Lloyd's pace attack, but probably the hardest to pick. That run-up certainly didn't help.

He ended up with 125 wickets at 23.30 from 27 tests. To have a record that good when your teammates are Holding, Garner and Roberts, is very impressive.

Colin Croft.

When people think of the great Windies quicks of the past, they think of Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Garner, Walsh, Roberts.

But almost everyone I talk to forgets about Croft. He was the fourth prong of Clive Lloyd's pace attack, but probably the hardest to pick. That run-up certainly didn't help.

He ended up with 125 wickets at 23.30 from 27 tests. To have a record that good when your teammates are Holding, Garner and Roberts, is very impressive.
The fact he went to South Africa probably plays a part in Crofts current stature.

Paul Sheahan.

I reckon Thorpe, Reiffel and co were good but not great imo. I put Saeed Anwar as a great though.

Another player I would add in is Mahela Jayawardene. Overshadowed by Sangakkara

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH Kumble's longevity helped him reach some of those heights. I still think he was good but not great, like someone who plays 300 games but never got an All Australian.

10 wickets in an innings in the historic pak v ind test to pull india out of the s**t. Extremely, extremely good bowler. Not sure how you can count longevity as a knock :drunk:

10 wickets in an innings in the historic pak v ind test to pull india out of the s**t. Extremely, extremely good bowler. Not sure how you can count longevity as a knock :drunk:
Longevity always helps you creep up a total list.

10 wickets in an innings is great, but they bowled him to death to get it and the other bowlers were deliberately not looking for wickets.

Longevity always helps you creep up a total list.

10 wickets in an innings is great, but they bowled him to death to get it and the other bowlers were deliberately not looking for wickets.

Revisionist nonsense. India were in the s**t and they were absolutely desperate to not lose that test. National pride was on the line.

Kumble very likely averted nuclear conflict single handedly. Show some respect.

Revisionist nonsense. India were in the s**t and they were absolutely desperate to not lose that test. National pride was on the line.

Kumble very likely averted nuclear conflict single handedly. Show some respect.
It's not revisionist when you watch it live.

You should also get a book about geopolitics and educate yourself on the Kashmir war.

Some of the things you read on here.. honestly.

Longevity isn't a knock, but it frames relative records. Kumble taking 10 in an innings is a great performance, but it's a bit like Tom Lynch and Mark LeCras being current players to kick 10 in a game. 235 out of 236 innings he doesn't do that. Would you rather 300 games from David Neitz or Drew Petrie or 200 from Brendan Fevola?

Kumble averaged 29.7 striking at 66. Warne 25.4 @ 57 (Murali 22.7 @ 55). They bowled basically the same number of balls in their respective careers yet Warne took nearly 100 more wickets for fewer runs. It's a moot point because Warne also played a hell of a lot tests so has the better overall record but if Dale Steyn never plays again I'm not going to think Kumble was better because he played 50 more tests, I'm going to say Steyn was a jet for being one of only a handful of guys to take 400 wickets in under 100 tests with a low average and absurd strike rate.

Reiffel was a jet. I think he’s a lot better than the other two, who were good performers but just short of top shelf. From memory Pistol did really well in England
The few years when he was taking wickets and scoring 50's was him at his best. Perfect 3rd bowler. Probably should have played another 10-15 tests

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Andy Flower.

Should be rated very close to Gilchrist when we talk about great wicketkeeper-batsmen, but is never mentioned.
Yeah was a gun. Always looked at Zimbabwe scores for him. If he failed they were screwed, even when he did well they were bad but what a player. Think he got to no.1 better in the world at one point.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back