Analysis Rating our offseason!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
How do we think this off season has fared for us?

Out:
James Borlase (del)*
Tyler Brown (del)
Tom Doedee (FA)
Will Hamill (del)*
Jackson Hately (del)
Shane McAdam (trd)
Fischer McAsey (ret)
Andrew McPherson (del)
Tariek Newchurch (del)
Paul Seedsman (ret)

In:
Curtin
Edwards
Ryan

We didn't land another big fish which means we go into next year with our current list plus draftees to drive the improvement into the 2024 season. Does this mean its a failure? well no. You can only recruit whose available and the sliding doors moment is Petty for Curtin. We missed on on Petty allowing us to enter the draft with the draft capital to move up the order to snare one of the biggest talents in the draft. However losing McAdam and Doedee we lost some of our best 22 depth that has not immediately been replaced.

Moving Welsh a year early into our Sanfl side has been an added bonus.

Overall this off season has been a B. It would have been a C but the move for Curtin is a huge development for our list.

How do we think this off season has fared for us?

Out:
James Borlase (del)*
Tyler Brown (del)
Tom Doedee (FA)
Will Hamill (del)*
Jackson Hately (del)
Shane McAdam (trd)
Fischer McAsey (ret)
Andrew McPherson (del)
Tariek Newchurch (del)
Paul Seedsman (ret)

In:
Curtin
Edwards
Ryan

We didn't land another big fish which means we go into next year with our current list plus draftees to drive the improvement into the 2024 season. Does this mean its a failure? well no. You can only recruit whose available and the sliding doors moment is Petty for Curtin. We missed on on Petty allowing us to enter the draft with the draft capital to move up the order to snare one of the biggest talents in the draft. However losing McAdam and Doedee we lost some of our best 22 depth that has not immediately been replaced.

Moving Welsh a year early into our Sanfl side has been an added bonus.

Overall this off season has been a B. It would have been a C but the move for Curtin is a huge development for our list.
You missed Burgess

Every AFL club’s 2023 draft haul analysed, and how their new recruits fit in: Report Card​

ADELAIDE CROWS

Picks (at start of the draft):
10, 14, 20

Selections: Daniel Curtin (8), Charlie Edwards (21), Oscar Ryan (27)

Their aggression paid off. Did all their work on night one — and pulled off the biggest trade coup, winning a hot race for the Giants’ top 10 pick to select key defender Daniel Curtin. While the Crows have a few tall backs on their list already, Curtin looms as a big upgrade should he blossom at AFL level and could play early in 2024. His intercept ability and excellent composure with ball in-hand was eye-catching throughout the year across all levels. Despite trading, the Crows still kept two more first-round picks and got their man Charlie Edwards — a 190cm bolter from the Sandringham Dragons who’ll give them a big-bodied presence in the midfield — before adding to their defence with medium backman Oscar Ryan, who went a little earlier than most clubs thought. We know how strong the Crows are forward of centre, so they used this year’s national draft to address their midfield and defence.

Grade: A-

Managing to get one of the cream players when starting at essentially pick 11 in a low fan fare draft, and only really giving up a F2 was a bonanza IMO.

A week ago I thought Dan Curtain was a pipedream at best. The other 2 lads I'm happy with, but don't pretend to know much about.

I give the draft a 4 Essendon players at the Henley Beach Cafe out of 5

Coaching changes - E
Player trading - E
Pick trading - A
Drafting - B
Injuries - B
Scandals - A+
Headquarters Change - F
Other Staff - C
Player Contracts - D

The big win for us has been converting our picks into better picks and taking what appears to be great players at the draft with them.

Football department has been downgraded with the loss of Rahilly who we replaced internally.

We lost best 22 players for not a huge amount in return and only traded in depth. We were also hampered by overzealous recontracting which left us with few list spots and inflexibility

Move to new HQ has been disgracefully slow and it keeps getting downgraded

Have avoided scandals and our injury list isn't too bad with only 2 players expected to miss round 1 at this stage

We lost best 22 players for not a huge amount in return and only traded in depth. We were also hampered by overzealous recontracting which left us with few list spots and inflexibility
I think end of first round pick for Doedee was about fair value given his injury history. He has never been the same player since the first knee reconstruction, and I doubt another one will make him any better.

Future second for McAdam I think will probably turn out to be fair value considering his age and output. Bit of a short term hit given we didn't get an equivalent player in, but we're not in flag contention next year anyway. We won't know for a while if we got unders or overs, but at least it keeps us in the 2nd round of next year's draft after trading up for Curtin this year - we may have ended up trading McAdam for Welsh.

Overall B.

Got the splash move in Curtin - who looks a serious prospect - and I'm not particularly fussed about our losses - we got fair value for them and both weren't particularly important players anymore.

However, I can't give it higher as we didn't improve our best 22 for 2024 and losing Rahilly without an external replacement concerns me.

I don't quite understand... how can we have so many players going out and so few coming in? Shouldn't our list size be the same?

I know we also have Burgess in... and Borlase and Hamill are still on the list. But by my count that's 8 out and 4 in. Am I missing something? Is Turner counting as an in? Were some of them on cat B?

I don't quite understand... how can we have so many players going out and so few coming in? Shouldn't our list size be the same?

I know we also have Burgess in... and Borlase and Hamill are still on the list. But by my count that's 8 out and 4 in. Am I missing something? Is Turner counting as an in? Were some of them on cat B?
had two LTI, so 2 above max list size at end of year.

And Newchurch was cat B. Borlase actually kind of counts as an in, but not an out as he's moved to Cat A rookie now.

C+

Only thing that was overwhelmingly positive was getting Curtin.

Edwards and Ryan a lot more speculative.

Losing Doedee isn't going to have a big impact given the personnel we have to replace his role. He never returned to his best. We also got a decent pick in return.

Losing McAdam is a reasonable loss. We performed well without him this year, but with him we have another dimension and I think his best was yet to come.

Didn't acquire anyone good through trading.

Lost a supposed good coach and didn't replace with a supposed good coach.

Would have been a D- if not for Curtin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three first round picks as our last dip into the draft at the top end for a while is a sensational result.

Huge manouvering to get into the top 10 (8th) and pick up Curtin, thankfully we didn't have to take a pick at 12, the talent really was by needs after pick 11.

We addressed X factor and will be able to stop the opposition attacks and double down in our drive into the forward line with Curtin, have picked up a very promising midfielder in the first round, and have another defender.

Overall we have to happy with the draft.

Coaching panel is stable, only 1 change to a line coach who could only get a job back at his old club, so not in huge demand (applied for a recruitment role at Essendon but didn't get it).

List management looks good, we managed to keep most players we wanted, and have brought in players to surpass our current best 22. Having depth with experience will be critical to our finals campaign over the next 2 years, as injuries late in the year mean SANFL players we need to bring in will be experienced heads instead of inexperienced.

2023 List - 46 Players

INACTIVE - 2 Players
McAsey
Seedsman

SENIOR - 37
Jones
Keays
Berry
Murphy
Crouch
Hately
Thilthorpe
RAchele
Sloane
Pedlar
Dawson
Walker
Soligo
Cook
Michalanney
Hamill
Taylor
Rankine
McAdam
Worrell
Laird
Milera
Dowling
Fogarty
Sholl
Doedee
Bond
Butts
O'Brien
Gollant
Strachan
Smith
Himmelberg
mcHenry
Schoenberg
Nankervis
Hinge

ROOKIE - 5
Brown
Murray
McPherson
Parnell
Keane

ROKIE CAT B - 2
Borlase
Newchurch

2024 LIST - 42

SENIOR - 38
Ryan
Edwards
Curtin
Burgess
Jones
Keays
Berry
Murphy
Crouch
Thilthorpe
Rachele
Sloane
Pedlar
Dawson
Walker
Soligo
Cook
Michalanney
Taylor
Hinge
Rankine
Worrell
McHenry
Schoenberg
Nankervis
Murray
Laird
Milera
Dowling
Fogarty
Smith
Himmelberg
Sholl
Bond
Butts
O'Brien
Gollant
Strachan

ROOKIE - 4
Hamill
Borlase
Parnell
Keane

Last edited:
Pass mark. Not an A.
Coaching structure is worse.
No players into best 22.
Good draft on paper.

If we acquire experienced gun players in addition to Welsh next offseason, and get a good assistant coach in to replace Rahilly then over the 2 years it’s a good result.
Currently leaves work to do next year.

List above.

Basically we are 4 shorter as we lost Newchurch and Borlase from Cat B and McAsey and Seedsman off the inacive list

B-/C+

Biggest loss was Rahilly. Hopefully Hombsch does well, but it’s still a relatively inexperienced coach coming into the role

McAdam a bigger loss than Doedee, and IMO we’ll have to go looking next off-season for a medium marking forward to fill the gap Shane’s left (give Cook a chance to succeed first), but neither are losses that make us significantly worse

We addressed our tall depth issues, but didn’t bring in any best 22 players of note, which is not ideal for a team going into a window

Draft was close to a home run, based on the Curtin trade alone. Edwards and Ryan also solid gets on the surface. Up to the coaches to develop these guys, now

Very ‘meh’ off-season overall. Means we’ll have to mainly rely on the growth of the squad, in particular our youth, for next year (which is fine, but not all that inspiring)

We have been the bridesmaid too many times to recall on manouvering to draft bigger bodied agile and skillfull consensus top end talent (I get there are no guarantees). We have kicked the draft can down the road so often I've forgotten what road we are on.

We live in the second round speculative Hamish Special space particularly with mids. For once, we pounced, paid the price and got the good fortune. It took an eternity, but let's hope it's not the last time we target a talent in the draft and make moves to draft them. Future seconds are like confetti to top clubs. Very happy with all three picks and have Soligo type expectations on Charlie Edwards. He looks a prospect.

In rating, the trading and drafting are not independent. For example, had we managed to nab a prize trade, then we would not have had the resources to get up for Curtin. It's the sum that needs to be assessed.
Some seem to have forgotten the trade we did to get GCS 1st rounder and also Burgess, McAdam was disappointing but the media was saying Melbourne would offer their 3rd rounder for him and we eventually got their 2nd rounder.

Coaching changes - E
Player trading - E
Pick trading - A
Drafting - B
Injuries - B
Scandals - A+
Headquarters Change - F
Other Staff - C
Player Contracts - D
Coaching - D... Didn't manage to bring in more outside experience with freed up cap... though hopeful on Hombsch we lost one of our best.

Player Trading - D... 1 decent in, but 2 quality outs. We don't have anyone like McAdam.

Pick Trading - A... Both GC & GWS deals set us up well

Drafting - A... arguably best performed on the night combined with our trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back