Remove this Banner Ad

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
I confess to not following cricket as closely as i used to. UOAT I would have been all over this, but is anybody else surprised how good this guy's career stats are? As of 2 minutes ago, they are:

1745 runs @ 35.6 with 4 x tons, and
232 wickets @ 24.7 with 22 x 5fers and 6 x 10 fers.

For an offie in only 42 tests!

I confess to not following cricket as closely as i used to. UOAT I would have been all over this, but is anybody else surprised how good this guy's career stats are? As of 2 minutes ago, they are:

1745 runs @ 35.6 with 4 x tons, and
232 wickets @ 24.7 with 22 x 5fers and 6 x 10 fers.

For an offie in only 42 tests!

He's clearly an exceptional cricketer, HOWEVER, basically 80 per cent of his wickets have come in asia/the Caribbean and most of his big scores have been vs the west indies as well.

I thought he actually bowled reasonably well when thy lost here a couple of years ago but he was just not able to have an impact.

Needs to find a way overseas with bat and ball, but in Asia he's probably the best all round player in the world right now

He's clearly an exceptional cricketer, HOWEVER, basically 80 per cent of his wickets have come in asia/the Caribbean and most of his big scores have been vs the west indies as well.

I thought he actually bowled reasonably well when thy lost here a couple of years ago but he was just not able to have an impact.

Needs to find a way overseas with bat and ball, but in Asia he's probably the best all round player in the world right now

I started the thread having been looking at the 3rd test between India and England. When they were here 2 years back he did not look like the kind of bowler to have these kind of stats. In fact he took 12 wickets @ 48.6!

Just checking out his splits at Howstat, and it's:
Home: 165 w @ 21.2, and
Away: 67 w @ 33.2.

The away stats aren't actually that bad for an offie, but the home stats are something else.

I started the thread having been looking at the 3rd test between India and England. When they were here 2 years back he did not look like the kind of bowler to have these kind of stats. In fact he took 12 wickets @ 48.6!

Just checking out his splits at Howstat, and it's:
Home: 165 w @ 21.2, and
Away: 67 w @ 33.2.

The away stats aren't actually that bad for an offie, but the home stats are something else.

They're not, but at a guess I think he'd have at least a third of those wickets from his series in the Caribbean this year at a very low average.

He had a lot of control during his trip to Australia, just not enough tricks to make an impact. his carrom ball doesn't bite on the not so low and slow pitches.

Taking out the Bangers and Windies his stats are

Overall
1237 runs @ 30.17
176 wickets @ 25.63

Home
743 runs @ 35.38
131 wickets @ 21.16

Away
494 runs @ 24.70
45 wickets @ 38.62

It's true... that said, I seem to recall a couple of occasions when Ashwin was basically dropped because the selectors didn't think the conditions would suit him. eg, during the 2011/2012 series here in Australia, he played three of the four tests, but wasn't picked for the Perth test. In 2014/2015, he wasn't included in the First Test which was in Adelaide. The pitch turned out to be a road as Australia put on 7/517 and the debutant leggie Karn Sharma got spanked. I think some of these types of examples would have protected his average away from home a bit.

Nonetheless, he's still a very fine player.

Only in the last couple of years has he become a permanent member of their away team. At one stage he had an away average of 55.

When conditions suit he's as good as any spinner there has been.

He's one of the hardest cricketers to rate overall because there is such a disparity. It'll be very interesting to see how he goes when he visits England, South Africa and Australia again.

He's batting is somewhere between good tail ender and bowling all rounder. Tonned up four times but all against West Indies.

Last edited:
Surprised that Ashwin is already 30 years old. Made his Test debut 5 years ago, and I thought he was like 21-22 years old at that stage. Obviously I was wrong.

Another one who has surprising Test stats is Ravi Jadeja. Has a very good FC record with the bat, and nobody seems to rate his bowling (and it's pretty innocuous in limited overs stuff), but his Test record with the bat is fairly poor when compared to his FC record (he's just made a half-century against England as I type, though), while he's extremely miserly and fairly penetrative as a bowler.

Surprised that Ashwin is already 30 years old. Made his Test debut 5 years ago, and I thought he was like 21-22 years old at that stage. Obviously I was wrong.

Another one who has surprising Test stats is Ravi Jadeja. Has a very good FC record with the bat, and nobody seems to rate his bowling (and it's pretty innocuous in limited overs stuff), but his Test record with the bat is fairly poor when compared to his FC record (he's just made a half-century against England as I type, though), while he's extremely miserly and fairly penetrative as a bowler.

I think I'm right in saying he has 3 first class triple centuries. boggles the mind.

I think I'm right in saying he has 3 first class triple centuries. boggles the mind.

Not only that, they all came within 12 months of each other pretty much, and two in the space of a month:

02/11/2011 - 314 off 375 balls (29 fours, 9 sixes)
09/11/2012 - 303* off 400 balls (35 fours, 2 sixes)
01/12/2012 - 331 off 501 balls (29 fours, 7 sixes)

Bizarre.

One thing I do know is that if we don't get our s**t together from a batting perspective, these two will end some Australian careers. A more than handy duo in India in all areas of the game. Jadeja is as good an Indian fielder as I've ever seen.

I genuine think that the only player India will actually fear from Australia, even though a few of them have found some form, is smith.

There's about 6 of them that Australia should be fearful of.

Taking out the Bangers and Windies his stats are

Overall
1237 runs @ 30.17
176 wickets @ 25.63

Home
743 runs @ 35.38
131 wickets @ 21.16

Away
494 runs @ 24.70
45 wickets @ 38.62

So remove the Easybeats and his home bowling average actually goes down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jadeja is the very definition of a "Ranji Tiger" -- amazing domestic performances, but much weaker at the next level. He's deadly in local conditions, but his away record is very poor. He played very poorly in England, and got utterly spanked in New Zealand. And he's never actually played a Test in Australia.

That said, in India, Jadeja and Ashwin will very likely destroy us.

nearly 5 wickets a test with bowling average 19 in india. about 2.5 wickets a test, bowling average 41 away from home.

the sort of cricketer we'd crucify on this board if he were Australia.

I don't know where you got those figures? I posted his away figures earlier - 67 w @ 33.2 from 17 tests.

Let's face it, we'd love Ashwin in our line up.

Every team would. A great spinner who is getting better and thankfully stopped trying to bowl variations like every ball who can bat really well and save an innings. Top 3 all rounders in World Cricket with Stokes and Al-Hasan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back