Rawlings moves to list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

He would want to do a lot better for us than he did for north.
How true!Norths recruiting is abysmal.They always recruit lumbering hard at it types [ other than Wells ] We on the other hand have always gone for talent.We generally take the best player available more so than what our list needs.

What's Juddy up to nowadays? Could we lure him over here again as midfield coach? He's got a great footy brain. He's also been there to offer the likes of Patrick Cripps & Zach Merrett some advice and they've both excelled into quality young stars. Wouldn't mind getting Juddy in with our young mids.

What's Juddy up to nowadays? Could we lure him over here again as midfield coach? He's got a great footy brain. He's also been there to offer the likes of Patrick Cripps & Zach Merrett some advice and they've both excelled into quality young stars. Wouldn't mind getting Juddy in with our young mids.
Pretty sure judd has said he's not interested in being a coach

Giving advice to young players that seek him out is something different

Pretty sure judd has said he's not interested in being a coach

Giving advice to young players that seek him out is something different

It's a shame, I've been reading his book and he comes across as so driven and professional in constantly making himself a better player, and never settling for anything less than premiership aspirations. I think it's what the next tier of talent need in our group. Be great if they could get him over a few times a year to check up on our players in a part time role. I dunno, just a thought.

It's a shame, I've been reading his book and he comes across as so driven and professional in constantly making himself a better player, and never settling for anything less than premiership aspirations. I think it's what the next tier of talent need in our group. Be great if they could get him over a few times a year to check up on our players in a part time role. I dunno, just a thought.
Getting him to talk to players either as individuals or as a group when we travel to Melbourne for games could be beneficial

Well we could get him him over for a week or 2 in the preseason to do a consultancy with few of our mids or young mids and then get him to come for a couple of check up during the season. Adelaide hired glassy as a consultant a few years back for leadership training.

Pretty sure he did sit down with our first-3 year players mid season.
Yeah but a one time discussion isn't going to be overly benificial. But a 2 week work shop and a couple of check up midseason can be beneficial.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Less recruiting god son's and more recruiting decent footballers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading a few years ago (Woosh still coaching then) that WCE was a club where the coach wasn't very active in recruiting, more just gave a list of needs and got the recruiters to make decisions? Looks like now Simmo wants more of a direct hand which can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Pretty poor comment. Masten will be a 200 game player when all is said and done, who would you have chosen? Rhys Palmer? David Myers? Cale Morton?!

I'm always leery of coaches having too much say in drafting, coaches are always looking more short-term, while draft picks are very much medium/long-term investments that look at the shape of a squad as a whole. Perhaps Rawlings will add the insight required for players that fit the Simmo gameplan, but I'm hoping he's more suited to the role in his own right rather than just to have more say on Simmo's behalf.

Pretty poor comment. Masten will be a 200 game player when all is said and done, who would you have chosen? Rhys Palmer? David Myers? Cale Morton?!
Masten has been ok but not exactly pick 3 worthy. Feels like the club already makes up it's mind when drafting sometimes and will reach a fair way to get the player they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masten has been ok but not exactly pick 3 worthy. Feels like the club already makes up it's mind when drafting sometimes and will reach a fair way to get the player they want.
Masten wasn't a reach though. The decision to draft him with pick 3 want an unreasonable one given the other highly rated options that year.

2007 was a pretty poor draft looking back on it

Of all the players that were in the frame for pick 3, Masten is now the best footballer. Dangerfield was a massive reach at 10 and Rioli only had Victoria on his mind.

Who was in that draft?! It was a tough draft. Rioli was seen as a career FP that wasn't playing outside of VIC, Danger was a very speccy pick at 8. It's very easy to say Masten's "not exactly pick worthy" however in that draft he very much was! If Daniel rich were eligible we would have picked him! We tried very hard to get Cotchin, no luck. We played the hand we were dealt and in this case we did well.

In the gun with draft 2017 - heaps of spots on the list for Rawlings & Co to fill, can they deliver?
I guess time will be the ultimate answer,but i think we have done very well this year.Our top pick looks a goodun and some of our lower picks look absolute bargains.Rawlings and crew get an "A" from me.

I guess time will be the ultimate answer,but i think we have done very well this year.Our top pick looks a goodun and some of our lower picks look absolute bargains.Rawlings and crew get an "A" from me.

No complaints from me either, BUT the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back