Rawlings to leave West Coast for North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Because otherwise you'd have general open-ended employment contracts and you wouldn't be able to sack anyone unless they f**ked up bad (hi Izzy).

With contracts, if your list manager is doing a sh!t job, you simply don't renew their contract.
I should probably rephrase and say multi year contracts. Just put the coachs and assistants on yearly contracts abd be done with it.

Find it rather ironic that the beggar club is using finances that are handed to them from the AFL, To poach a a list manager from the club that put that cash directly into their beggar coffers

You poached him off us first.

C'est la vie....we need to be immediately looking at a replacement. After Belly's performance last year, wonder if he wants to be in a winning team again. (I jest of course)
I hate fremantle, but I can't knock Bell's ability to get things done.

I hate fremantle, but I can't knock Bell's ability to get things done.

He didn't get that Freo, he learned it at North.

Like Simmo your remaining ex Arden St staff - you still have a few.

Am hoping Rawlings can snare us a Ryan or Rioli type from the WAFL this draft.

Ironic really that Brady would have been key in getting Gaff to stay.

Now he'll be looking at our list going, yep, where do I find an experienced high quality gun running mid?

Now he'll be looking at our list going, yep, where do I find an experienced high quality gun running mid?
Polec

I'm not trolling, Polec is good! You just need another one.
Actually Bell did a really good job for Freo last year BUT under unique circumstances. Both Adelaide and Port had picks available and wanted to trade down for top home talent at that time plus Neale wanted to get away from Lyon's coaching. He held his nerve and it could have gone **** up but great result in the end. Normally you have to be a bit more flexible but maybe he was smart enough to "know when to hold 'em and to know when to fold 'em"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff will follow him so we can get Coniglio and TK 😉

Gaff has signed a 6 year deal and Simmo ain’t go no where the club extended his contract and he has just built a house. He is a West Coast man now.

He will be a loss, moreso because its just a pain to replace good people, particularly here in the West.

I am not sure how good he was at his job. I am sure he was more than adequate but I am also not sure he was anything overly special. That pick swap was all he really achieved and lets be honest, he ripped off Gold Coast and that is a right of passage for most clubs. Freo got pick 2 for Weller for example.

He was part of our premiership BUT he took over as list manager at the start of 2017 (was previously an assistant). In reality, he didnt build the 2018 premiership team in any way at all.

I am most disappointed in the timing and the fact he left in contract so we will be on the hop trying to find someone. I hope we strictly enforce him not being involved at the Roos until Nov 1 or whatever it is. I dont see why we should let him walk out and take his knowledge of the draft and free agency to the Roos.

I would let him head to North now. It would be hard to be doing deals for a club you wont be at as you might not put a 100% in. Better now than after the seasons finishes where we would need to scramble a list manager to get deals done. We should be fine with Clayton, Smith , Vozzo to pick up the slack till we find a full time list manager for next year.

I would let him head to North now. It would be hard to be doing deals for a club you wont be at as you might not put a 100% in. Better now than after the seasons finishes where we would need to scramble a list manager to get deals done. We should be fine with Clayton, Smith , Vozzo to pick up the slack till we find a full time list manager for next year.

He should leave us now but not be allowed to join north until after the trade and draft period. He shouldn’t be allowed to put into practice all the knowledge he learned whilst with us.

He should leave us now but not be allowed to join north until after the trade and draft period. He shouldn’t be allowed to put into practice all the knowledge he learned whilst with us.
Well said.

I believe the club is pushing back against his move, so what you have described may very well be what the club is negotiating.

Gaff has signed a 6 year deal and Simmo ain’t go no where the club extended his contract and he has just built a house. He is a West Coast man now.

I think you misread my post.

I hope we strictly enforce him not being involved at the Roos until Nov 1 or whatever it is. I dont see why we should let him walk out and take his knowledge of the draft and free agency to the Roos.
Thanks, you answered some questions I had!
So he arrived in 2017 and didn't really help build our GF team.
I was wondering if there was a cooling off period before starting with another club otherwise he has all the good dirt on us, as we try for another flag, not that NM will affect us too much there.
But that's a lot of good intel heading out, fresh from the current premiers.
Well, you'd think there's other talent out there beating a door down to be involved with WCE?
We might find an improvement? -although Simmo seemed quite disappointed- but you can't blame someone for taking a promotion and wanting to improve their life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back