Ray Chamberlain to Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

At suburban level this sort of banter goes on all the time - the players are cool with it and respect it. Turning a molehill into a mountain here only because AFL guys have microphones. If they didn't (like every other umpire around the country) it would be a non event. I'm not anti-Razor even though he does have a few quirks that don't sit easy with me but in the case, what he did was fine.

At suburban level this sort of banter goes on all the time - the players are cool with it and respect it. Turning a molehill into a mountain here only because AFL guys have microphones. If they didn't (like every other umpire around the country) it would be a non event. I'm not anti-Razor even though he does have a few quirks that don't sit easy with me but in the case, what he did was fine.

I just wish in our league umpires would observe the rules of football rather than big noting themselves. The league umpire boss watched a junior get knocked out and did nothing but then carries on if kids wear the wrong socks. We also get umpires fabricating events to win tribunal appearances.

When I saw this live I shouted quite a few expletives at the telly. I'm surprised by how little it's been discussed other than the clip being shown and laughed at in an "Oh Razor" kinda way. Clearly this bugged me more than it bugged most but I just don't think an umpire should be smirking and talking down to a player like this. He's pretty much trolling the guy and, in my opinion, Grigg would've been well within his rights to tell him where to go. Seriously, if someone spoke to you in that tone of voice, with that smirk, how would you react?

I just thought it was very unprofessional and was surprised that it's not at least a talking point. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I will admit, I'm biased against Ray given I've been told by several AFL employees that he absolutely tries to make himself the centre of attention and thinks he's part of the show. Why he's still allowed to be part of the show if the people in charge know that is another matter, one for the general "AFL is incompetent" file...

Anyway, was this incident just a funny little thing or should we be expecting better and more professional discourse from umps?

Grigg handled it perfectly, knowing that it was just Razor chatting away for the sake of chatting. I smile when I see that cheeky grin on Grigg's face.

BTW where in the rules does it say an umpire has a right to lecture players? If an umpire can take it upon himself to lecture a player, a player has every right to do the same to an umpire, in a respectful way of course.

Razor...should Not be in the players personal space and he looked liked that was where he wanted to be. There should not be any Football penalties on banter. If player abuses umpire pay a free kick...Geez they are a protected species.

When I saw this live I shouted quite a few expletives at the telly. I'm surprised by how little it's been discussed other than the clip being shown and laughed at in an "Oh Razor" kinda way. Clearly this bugged me more than it bugged most but I just don't think an umpire should be smirking and talking down to a player like this. He's pretty much trolling the guy and, in my opinion, Grigg would've been well within his rights to tell him where to go. Seriously, if someone spoke to you in that tone of voice, with that smirk, how would you react?

I just thought it was very unprofessional and was surprised that it's not at least a talking point. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I will admit, I'm biased against Ray given I've been told by several AFL employees that he absolutely tries to make himself the centre of attention and thinks he's part of the show. Why he's still allowed to be part of the show if the people in charge know that is another matter, one for the general "AFL is incompetent" file...

Anyway, was this incident just a funny little thing or should we be expecting better and more professional discourse from umps?

Yeah we got Ray regulating language out there now. Gil would be stoked with this. What an absolute peanut Razor Ray is. He adjudicates whatever he likes and the AFL just has to bow to the little guy. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. But yes, this guy makes up his own rules.

Agree with razor in this one. Think he handled the situation better than most. Lighten the mood and no one cops 50's
most people seem to agree what happened was ok ,
but annoying as BT is , he hit the nail on the head , this sort of thing was happening all game and the ball ups were becoming very slow
due to the umpire "chats"
they just have to be careful that it doesn't become all about them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back