Raymond E Feist

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny you should mention it but I have recently pulled The Riftwar trilogy out for the first time in 10 years. Just finished Silverthorn. Magician has to be one of the best fantasy books ever written, if not the best. The ability he has to span decades without you feeling you have missed anything too important is excellent .

I have read a few of his books magician and a few others i can't quite remember off hand but i found them thoroughly entertaining real page turners hard to put them down once you started....have any of you read an australian author Sarah Douglas' books the Axis trilogy? Now they're great reading too!

I'm just about to finish off the Empire trilogy. Read all the others (though not the legends or legacy ones) up to and including the Serpentwar saga (which is probably my least favourite of his work). Still got a bloody lot to go.

Should i read the legacy/legends ones before i move on to the Conclave of Shadows lot ?

I read every one, but although the ones you mention arent required reading for the sake of continuity, there is the occasional reference to happenings in those books.
My reccomendation is that you might as well, As they are all good stories in their own right regardless of the sidestep from the original series. :thumbsu:

I read every one, but although the ones you mention arent required reading for the sake of continuity, there is the occasional reference to happenings in those books.
My reccomendation is that you might as well, As they are all good stories in their own right regardless of the sidestep from the original series. :thumbsu:

Thanks mate. Will do that then. I had a few things given away about the Empire trilogy in other books i'd read first so i don't want that to happen again.

Magician is my favourite book. I got given that for a christmas present when I was 13 (20 years ago now :eek: ). Since then I've read all the ones set in Midkemia, up to the just released 2nd Darkwar one. He's been flogging a dead horse to some degree the last ten years, but I keep going back for more.

Part of it is perhaps Pug was the same age I was when I started reading them, so he's always been one of my favourite book characters to see what's happening next in his 'life'.

Overall I wouldn't rate Feist to the same level as Tolkien, Robert Jordan or G.R.R. Martin, but his books are one of the 'backbones' of my library.

Should i read the legacy/legends ones before i move on to the Conclave of Shadows lot ?
If I remember correctly timewise the legacy ones sit between the Riftwar and Serpentwar series, whilst the Legends are concurrent to Magician.

As I recall it's :

Riftwar / Legends / Empire Trilogy (the latter starts during Magician - the expanded version has the 'brilliance' of the Minwanabi wiping out most of the Acoma mentioned)
Prince of the Blood
Kings Buccaneer
Legacy series
Serpentwar
Conclave of Shadows
Darkwar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magician is my favourite book. I got given that for a christmas present when I was 13 (20 years ago now :eek: ). Since then I've read all the ones set in Midkemia, up to the just released 2nd Darkwar one. He's been flogging a dead horse to some degree the last ten years, but I keep going back for more.

Part of it is perhaps Pug was the same age I was when I started reading them, so he's always been one of my favourite book characters to see what's happening next in his 'life'.

Overall I wouldn't rate Feist to the same level as Tolkien, Robert Jordan or G.R.R. Martin, but his books are one of the 'backbones' of my library.

IMO

GRRM
Tolkein
Feist

and then Jordon a long way behind, I just dont rate them on the same level. The first few I liked but then nothing happened and they dragged on and I stopped reading.

and then Jordon a long way behind, I just dont rate them on the same level. The first few I liked but then nothing happened and they dragged on and I stopped reading.
I almost stopped reading Jordan after book 3 as it's rather slow but from book 4 it gets better.

Awesome books.
Currently finishing off the conclave of shadows, which as baggged by many hardk0re fantasy enthusiests but I love it as much as the others.

Though Magician is above and beyond the best book I have ever read.

I have read somewhere that Raymond E Feist books are for casual reader/fantasy enthusiest, and I tend to agree. I have attemtped other so called great authors and struggled to get into them.

I suppose the best analogy is Feist is like Ninetendo wii, not a hell of allot of substance, isnt a long read like Robert Jordan. But is easy to get into, lots of fun and doesnt consumer years of your life.

I am curious though if anyone is reading the darkwar series (I think only 3 books so far have been released, supposedly this is the last for Midkemia)

The Magician is amongst my favourite books and a result I've read a good portion of his books although none of the more recent stuff. For those that loved the magician his collaboration with Janny Wurts (The Empire Series) is an excellent read.

The Magician is amongst my favourite books and a result I've read a good portion of his books although none of the more recent stuff. For those that loved the magician his collaboration with Janny Wurts (The Empire Series) is an excellent read.

IMO Magician is his best book but the Empire series is his best trilogy. Don't have the words for how much i enjoyed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back