Rayza Ray: Bad for the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's actually brilliant. Showing leadership with a fairly new umpire telling him what and where he needed to be. It's an insight to humanising umpires and showing that they have a roll to play. Apart from some free kick descriptions on why, Im all for the AFL Microphone being on right there. unintended however interesting

The hell are you on about?

If BT hadn't spent the last five years making a big song and dance about RAZOR RAY MAKING IT ALL ABOUT HIM GEE WOWEE you wouldn't even notice Ray existed. The whole thing is a story fabricated by a bloke with a windbag as big as Donald Frickin' Trump. Fake news.

It's channel 7
During Open Mike when Razor was on that he said channel 7 turn up his mike vest louder than the other umpires so we can hear him better than the others

Best umpire in the game. I get the feeling that the AFL and his umpiring team mates don't back him like they would other quieter umpires.

I know I said it in the thread on the subject but I reckon 100% he would have correctly called Dane Rampe for his little escapade up the post.

Best umpire in the game. I get the feeling that the AFL and his umpiring team mates don't back him like they would other quieter umpires.

I know I said it in the thread on the subject but I reckon 100% he would have correctly called Dane Rampe for his little escapade up the post.
That is VERY debatable.

Oh and I long for the days when the umpire would bounce the ball at the start and then just basically get out of the way.
Google umpire Glen James for a masterclass.
Rayza is not in his class.

Oh and I long for the days when the umpire would bounce the ball at the start and then just basically get out of the way.
Google umpire Glen James for a masterclass.
Rayza is not in his class.

In Glen James' time they were paying 70 odd free kicks a game with only 2 umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is your point then? You said that in Glen James' day, they bounced the ball and then got out of the way, which is so far from the truth it's not funny.
As I say, you're missing the point. Regardless of how many frees they paid, umpires of yore blew the whistle, paid the free or intervened as necessary, then withdrew from the contest.
Not Rayza of course. Blows the whistle, prances around like a mini stallion, clips the players, clips his fellow umpires ffs, enjoying his moment in the spotlight all the while keeping one eye on himself on the big screen. We see far too much of him on our screens.

In Glen James' time they were paying 70 odd free kicks a game with only 2 umpires.
Is that too many or too few? Would 'old time footy' have been more congested if they had had the fitness levels today's players have?
I'm in the camp that espouses more free kicks called on certain occurrences rather than balling up. Force a spread and all that, and maybe cutting the allowed time to take the kick.
Not having a go, just tossing out an opinion.

Is that too many or too few? Would 'old time footy' have been more congested if they had had the fitness levels today's players have?
I'm in the camp that espouses more free kicks called on certain occurrences rather than balling up. Force a spread and all that, and maybe cutting the allowed time to take the kick.
Not having a go, just tossing out an opinion.

Yep, they all used to get up and have to run and spread. I'd like to see an even lower interchange cap.

I don't care how many or few they pay, as long as they're there. If they can't see then don't guess, don't pay a free on what your experience tells you is likely to have happened..

When a pack forms and they blow their whistle for a ball up, as the players disentangle themselves, if someone has someone else in a head lock, it's too high. If someone is lying face down with someone sitting on him, it's in the back. Pay them.

I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT RAZOR RAY, AND IN SAYING THAT I AM ALSO GOING TO SAY THAT I THINK THE UMPIRES NOW ARE AMONGST THE BEST WE'VE EVER HAD.
Where their horrors begin , is the instructed following to the letter of the law, which is fine to do.

But if the laws letter is so pedantic and literal , that finger tip touches can create a free kick because a very highly trained umpire is instructed to do it that way. then I know without a shadow of a doubt as most fans do, where the problem lies.

It lies firmly with this modern latest AFL administration and its CEO.

With an agenda that I simply cannot work out, but free kicks rule, and its not the umpire to blame , its what they must pay according to the rules committee.

The changing rules need to be the question?
The question is not what they are for, it is WHY they are even being used as rules, there are several finger tip free situations , there are frees where no one knows what for?
The fifty metre penalties have become a blight on the game and not used for what they were meant for.

The 50's create scoring opportunities, nearly every week and nearly every game!

Frees have always been able to do that, get a score up.

But these days they do it multiple times every week in every game. For the last 10 to 15 years too?

Not just frees called, but those missed , or just not seen, some yes! Or just not called at all.

They are just as bad.

Every fan, football watcher, follower, member who sees footy knows each week he/she will see a free, that is confusing or even unfair.
People who know me on BF will have read my stuff about this before, I just thought I'd put it up on the umpires section and wonder if there are any umps out there who could anonymously comment ?

My son says the AFL is looking at a future where AFLX is the main game, I disagree, AFLX is a horror for me , but also imagine blokes playing that fast on a big paddock? It would kill them , so what is the AFLX being driven by the AFL for?
COULD IT BE TO BRING OUR GAME TO A HALT IN ITS STYLE NOW, AND PUT IT ON A SMALLER GROUND. Less people more TV rights, I would hope not, our game now is unique, but I have never let up on this and I won't, because on Big Footy I started mentioning the free kicks and the rule fiddling years ago, and have kept complaining about the way this AFL admin from Dim to Gil, have screwed our sport into something that ..HEAR THIS... WHEN AT ITS BEST IS THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, BUT WHEN THEY STUFF IT AROUND IT BECOMES A RUIN , BECAUSE OF OVER ADJUDICATION TIGGY TOUCHWOOD FREE KICKS, PACKS OF PLAYERS GOING UP FOR MARKS AND... 7 OUT OF 10... TIMES , WHISTLE GOES AND AN UMP HAS HAD TO CALL A FINGER TIP FREE KICK, THIS IS NOT COMPETING, THIS IS NOT CONTEST.
There is no avenue for a [player defending, and we see it every week in our game where sometimes a player has no idea what his infringement was.
By the way I've seen some coaches look on in bafflement at a free, which at times costs a goal.
Don't know about you people out there in the real football world but when even umps complain to the AFL, coaches are confused players don't really know which way to turn, SOMETHING IN THIS BRILLIANT SPORT IS GOING WRONG.

I saw Tex Walker, pull his belly outwards in a tackle he was putting on against an eagle player. Now it looked a little like he'd pulled out and the ON THE COUCH boys gave him some stick for it.
Well he DID NOT pull out in that sense, but he eased his tackling off because the eagle player was bellow and he was too frightened to go hard in case of report head high over the shoulder around the neck you name it, THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED , Browny, Roosy , Gary and Gerard Healy were very wrong to question Walker, that was player mindset in a tiggy touchwood world we now have in AUSTRALIAN RULES fOOTBALL AT ITS HIGHEST LEVEL.

The Ablett thing is an example of the ambiguity of the rules and the game now, Cousins got rubbed out, but neither he nor Ablett in the last few instances should be rubbed out. Umpire no.1 calls dangerous tackle , I saw one that wasn't, the player actually tried to keep his opponent 's head of the turf! But it was called dangerous.
But then another instance Umpire no.2 calls nothing for something that could have been dangerous , the confusion is unbelievable , then the legal penalty givers in the MRP and the Tribunal, just confuse us more?

Any one on BF like to make some waves , any body want to ask the AFL to read some social,media comments from their paying public.

BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN AN IVORY TOWER????

Probably the best umpire in the game because he just goes by the rules and doesn't worry about the "feel of the game" or if some muppet supporters don't like the sound of his voice.

His critics rarely have any logic to their arguments; it's always "prances about" or "talks to much" or "look at me". Whilst some of those may be traits you don't like, none of them have an impact on his umpiring.

Whilst some of those may be traits you don't like, none of them have an impact on his umpiring.

I'd argue that with the possible exception of "prancing about", they're not even traits he actually displays. This whole furore is just the effect of a bunch of impressionable people heeding the mutterings of a crazed, moustachioed idiot.

I'd argue that with the possible exception of "prancing about", they're not even traits he actually displays. This whole furore is just the effect of a bunch of impressionable people heeding the mutterings of a crazed, moustachioed idiot.
Who ironically represents the network that gives the umpires airtime.

I don't mind him as an umpire. I personally don't like the umpires being mic'd up and felt I heard him a lot tonight. Umpiring wasn't a factor, just would prefer to hear the sounds of the game as opposed to him talking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back