Razor Ray cheated.

Remove this Banner Ad

... Jack Ziebell out of a shot on goal.

This deserves its own thread.

“My position’s pretty good, I identify (Jack) Ziebell out the back, the ball’s coming in deep and I see Tuohy and watch it all the way.

“You go: ‘How come you didn’t pay a free kick?’ You’ve seen it, he makes contact, why didn’t you pay it? If I’m honest, I think I got a bit stubborn, I think I got a little bit belligerent.

I don’t like paying free kicks when players put a little bit on it. It’s a free kick every day, there’s no question, it’s a missed free kick.

“If I reflect on that, it was my mentality there that was my error and that’s why I didn’t pay the free kick. I’m disappointed in myself about that.”

He chose not to pay a free against Ziebell because he saw another player take his eyes off the ball, turn and make contact with Ziebell in a marking contest and decided his dislike of Ziebell was more important than the rules of the game.

(Edited - to specify exactly how and what he cheated who of...)

That is cheating.

He should never umpire another game.

Last edited:
Deserves an explanation from above. How can an umpire admit his bias and basically ignore the rules of the game and his role in it.

And commentary praising his courage in admitting it !

Without calling for him to be dropped.

Unreal.

No doubt there will be plenty of "ohh poor norf ... it wouldn't have changed the result anyway" from our resident Einstein's but it does point to a huge problem in the game.

For example if you were a non North supporting punter with a bet on Ziebell to score multiple goals for the game that umpires bias has cost you money. (So did Ziebell's poor kick in front of goal but that's not the issue. Even this wouldn't matter as much if the AFL wasn't so hell bent on promoting gambling to generate revenue.) The issue is umpire's using their bias' first and their eyes to regulate the game second.

He chose not to pay a free against Ziebell because he saw another player take his eyes off the ball, turn and make contact with Ziebell in a marking contest and decided his dislike of Ziebell was more important than the rules of the game.

That is cheating.

Damn it, you threw the baby out with the bathwater.........

Damn it, you threw the baby out with the bathwater.........

Unless he can show he has overcome his tendency to let his pre-conceived bias over ride his decision making then he can't expect to get another game can he?

There is a reason he only ever got to umpire Grand Finals in one year. (A decade ago.)

That is cheating.

I think you need to look up what cheating means.

Razor basically said Ziebell threw some mayo on it and for that he didn't award the free kick and admits he made a mistake.

Razor is the best ump we've got.

Unless he can show he has overcome his tendency to let his pre-conceived bias over ride his decision making then he can't expect to get another game can he?

There is a reason he only ever got to umpire Grand Finals in one year. (A decade ago.)

He admitted his mistake, will learn a lessen from it and will make him a better umpire.

2nd point, there are 3 better umpires than him each year would be a easy explanation. Do you want to sack all but those 3 umpires...

I'm just happy umpires are finally seeing North for their diving ways and not paying free kicks

While we will not agree Dapper l will say it again.
An umpire admitted he did not pay an obvious free kick because he had a bias against a player. He is being praised and lauded for being honest and courageous.

How is this not being condemned ?

I think you need to look up what cheating means.

Razor basically said Ziebell threw some mayo on it and for that he didn't award the free kick and admits he made a mistake.

Razor is the best ump we've got.

Is that why he always get the Gfs?

Here's the thing. Front on contact in a marking contest is an automatic free kick if you take your eyes off the ball.

ZT was not even looking at the ball. So after the infringement Razor decided not to award the free and he didn't base this decision on any actual event but on his incorrect opinion of how the infringed player reacted to the infringement.

Do you not see what is wrong with that?

Its no a minor mistake. Its not even a major mistake like the free in front of goal against Scott Thompson (in the last minute of the game when scores were level) who just stood his ground in a marking contest before taking the grab.

Its a decision to not award a free based on his opinion of the player who deserved the free.

Nothing else.

It can't even be based on the fact that Ziebell did put "mayo" on it.

Technically "putting mayo on it" is emphasising an already illegal action after the event anyway. If umps are not paying decisions based on that they are choosing not to pay frees based on a players legal reaction to the infringement.

How is that acceptable?

He admitted his mistake, will learn a lessen from it and will make him a better umpire.

Just out of interest what do you base that assumption on? The fact he got plaudits for admitting his mistake. He'll just do the same thing again and the AFL PR machione can have another collective wank over it.

2nd point, there are 3 better umpires than him each year would be a easy explanation. Do you want to sack all but those 3 umpires...

Making them full time professionals, held to high standards that are enforced transparently would be a good start actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wont be any umpires left if North fans had their way. Amazing how many times they've been robbed this year, I want an investigation as to why North arent 20-0.

Someone's a bit touchy about something are they.

Where did he say he didn't like Jack Ziebell or that he is biased against him?

He said he doesn't like to pay free kicks where players add mayo. He thought Jack added mayo in this situation, making the contact more obvious to extract a free kick. That's different to him having an ongoing bias against Jack for being a diver, he did not say that Jack has added mayo to contact throughout his career & he doesn't want to pay a free kick to him because it's always in the back of his head that Jack is a stager.

He said he doesn't like to pay free kicks where players add mayo. He thought Jack added mayo in this situation, making the contact more obvious to extract a free kick. That's different to him having an ongoing bias against Jack for being a diver, he did not say that Jack has added mayo to contact throughout his career & he doesn't want to pay a free kick to him because it's always in the back of his head that Jack is a stager.

The moment you frame something along the lines of "added mayo" its creating a bias. It shouldn't enter his head.

exactly.

i'll also add players like Jeff Farmer got a reputation as a diver. Because you know he dived alot. So the umpires gave him nothing.

exactly.

i'll also add players like Jeff Farmer got a reputation as a diver. Because you know he dived alot. So the umpires gave him nothing.

Still cheating because he has a job to do and chose not to do it in that case. Doesn't matter his motivations or whatever else. He can't see a free then decide on whether he'll do his job because of how the infringed player responds (within reason obviously). Its cheating.

He's cheating all of us who expect a fair game every time he does it. And he doesn't just do it at North games.

Game was very close at that stage and Ziebel would have had a shot from directly in front about 20m to put North in front.
Instead ball gets turned over and Cats go straight down and get a goal and go on a nice little roll.
Had the free, that was definitely there, been paid and Ziebel goal'd would Nth have got some momentum and gone on a run??
Will never know.

Did Umpire Chamberlain cheat? I am going to say no.
But, he did decide to not pay a free kick that was 100% there that he saw as he was right there. He loves the spotlight and makes calls and non calls incorrectly as he must think he is bigger than the game.

I must admit I dread him Umpiring Eagles game as you have no idea what you will get one way or the other. The only guarantee is inconsistency.

Still cheating because he has a job to do and chose not to do it in that case. Doesn't matter his motivations or whatever else. He can't see a free then decide on whether he'll do his job because of how the infringed player responds (within reason obviously). Its cheating.

He's cheating all of us who expect a fair game every time he does it. And he doesn't just do it at North games.

i think you need to go away and work out what "cheating" means. Razor Ray isn't cheating regardless of how many times you restate your incorrect view of his umpiring.

i think you need to go away and work out what "cheating" means. Razor Ray isn't cheating regardless of how many times you restate your incorrect view of his umpiring.
cheating - to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

Did Razor act dishonestly or unfairly?

I reckon that his actions are the definition of cheating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back