Razor Ray cheated.

Remove this Banner Ad

... Jack Ziebell out of a shot on goal.

This deserves its own thread.

He chose not to pay a free against Ziebell because he saw another player take his eyes off the ball, turn and make contact with Ziebell in a marking contest and decided his dislike of Ziebell was more important than the rules of the game.

(Edited - to specify exactly how and what he cheated who of...)

That is cheating.

He should never umpire another game.

and yet the AFL call them impartial, should never be allowed too umpire again

Think, as a rule, he’s a very good umpire.
Nonetheless he got the decision horribly wrong and his explanation was not good enough.
Will give him the benefit of the doubt based on his past good record-everyone makes errors, but needs to have a good, hard look at himself.

He has a track record of making controversial/wrong calls in order to gain the spotlight, the Westhoff deliberate out of bounds 50m penalty a few weeks ago was another example.

Probably the reason he doesn't get appointed for Grand Finals, if he was such a good umpire he would get appointed for them.

In Grand Finals in particular you don't want to notice the umpires and Ray loves being noticed so he quite rightly doesn't get a look in.

He is a human who is required to make a lot of decisions in a very quick timeframe under high pressure. As a human, he has bias- that is just a trait that humans have. In this case it was pretty clear it wasn't a bias against a team or an individual but an action- IE putting mayo on it. I reckon a lot of umps would have this same bias as basically 'putting mayo on it' is effectively trying to deceive the umpires- no on likes to be deceived.
So he has made his decision partyl based on not wanting to reward someone trying to deceive him- this happens very regularly. The difference here is he has publically admitted it and stated it is something he should try to improve upon to become a better umpire. Most would just make an excuse about blocked vision etc rather than admit a mistake.
Refreshing frankness and good on him IMO. Would I be pissed if it were against my team ? Yeah. Would I call it cheating? No. He wasn't trying to influence the outcome of the game by giving one team an unfair advantage, he just made a decision on one instance where he thought a player was trying to put one over on him.

View attachment 726921

100% of your goals on Saturday night came from free kicks. There is no conspiracy, you're just sooks. Give it a rest.

Who said there was a conspiracy? Its a s**t decision by a cheating campaigner who would rather play to his own ego's rules than the game's. You won the game and as usual will fall out of the finals as soon as you are away from your narrow back street of a footy ground. Youse will be out in straight sets after you lose to Richmond in your "home" final at the MCG again. And when you have a big sook about the AFL screwing you again you'll expect people like us to sympathise.

He is a human who is required to make a lot of decisions in a very quick timeframe under high pressure. As a human, he has bias- that is just a trait that humans have. In this case it was pretty clear it wasn't a bias against a team or an individual but an action- IE putting mayo on it. I reckon a lot of umps would have this same bias as basically 'putting mayo on it' is effectively trying to deceive the umpires- no on likes to be deceived.
So he has made his decision partyl based on not wanting to reward someone trying to deceive him- this happens very regularly. The difference here is he has publically admitted it and stated it is something he should try to improve upon to become a better umpire. Most would just make an excuse about blocked vision etc rather than admit a mistake.
Refreshing frankness and good on him IMO. Would I be pi**ed if it were against my team ? Yeah. Would I call it cheating? No. He wasn't trying to influence the outcome of the game by giving one team an unfair advantage, he just made a decision on one instance where he thought a player was trying to put one over on him.

If I’m honest, I think I got a bit stubborn, I think I got a little bit belligerent.

He admits he was aggressively hostile toward a player who was infringed against.

This is ridiculous behaviour for an umpire.

Who said there was a conspiracy? Its a s**t decision by a cheating campaigner who would rather play to his own ego's rules than the game's. You won the game and as usual will fall out of the finals as soon as you are away from your narrow back street of a footy ground. Youse will be out in straight sets after you lose to Richmond in your "home" final at the MCG again. And when you have a big sook about the AFL screwing you again you'll expect people like us to sympathise.
Nice melt, but a North fan bringing up finals is a level of irony even Razor Ray himself can't get behind

Nice melt, but a North fan bringing up finals is a level of irony even Razor Ray himself can't get behind

Yeah yeah, you're good at smart comments but pretty light weight when it comes to actual discussion of something.

Yeah yeah, you're good at smart comments but pretty light weight when it comes to actual discussion of something.
What? I added a note earlier and you had a massive cry and took pot shots at my teams finals track record despite it having zero to do with this topic or my post.

Not my fault you can't control your emotions.

What? I added a note earlier and you had a massive cry and took pot shots at my teams finals track record despite it having zero to do with this topic or my post.

Not my fault you can't control your emotions.

No you claimed we were "sooking" about a "conspiracy" instead of an incompetent s**t of an umpire. Who cheated.

If you can't stay on topic don't expect me to.

BTW

We should have the most goals from frees given Ben Brown is the most infringed forward in the comp. Hardly a surprise given its really hard to stop him within the rules. We should have more. Well he should. Just cos defenders get away with heaps on him other wise he has 4 or 5 goal first quarters doesn't mean what they are doing is legitimate.

Compare that to Hawkins who got paid a dropped mark directly in front of goal on saturday and maybe you should stop banging on about goals from shonky umpiring and lowering the signal to noise ratio of this thread.

Newsflash to all fans
UMPIRES DONT CHEAT

That one you think has a bias against your team? Nup. He doesn’t, sure he might have got a few wrong, oh well, do you accuse players on your team of cheating when they turn the ball over?
People saying Ray is a terrible umpire have got maybe 3 or 4 videos to show their “evidence”. Conservatively he’s made at least 3 or 400 decisions this year. Think about that for a second.
Crying blue murder is sad, he made a mistake and owned up to it, move on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you claimed we were "sooking" about a "conspiracy" instead of an incompetent s**t of an umpire. Who cheated.

If you can't stay on topic don't expect me to.

BTW

We should have the most goals from frees given Ben Brown is the most infringed forward in the comp. Hardly a surprise given its really hard to stop him within the rules. We should have more. Well he should. Just cos defenders get away with heaps on him other wise he has 4 or 5 goal first quarters doesn't mean what they are doing is legitimate.

Compare that to Hawkins who got paid a dropped mark directly in front of goal on saturday and maybe you should stop banging on about goals from shonky umpiring and lowering the signal to noise ratio of this thread.
Yeah you're right, that missed Hawkins paid mark made all the difference in the game. Umpires don't cheat, he said it was a mistake and with the benefit of hindsight he can see it is a free kick. You're just a sooky lala who thinks the big bad AFL is out to hurt his poor little team this is a dumb thread and that's why you're getting dumb responses.

He has a track record of making controversial/wrong calls in order to gain the spotlight, the Westhoff deliberate out of bounds 50m penalty a few weeks ago was another example.

Probably the reason he doesn't get appointed for Grand Finals, if he was such a good umpire he would get appointed for them.

In Grand Finals in particular you don't want to notice the umpires and Ray loves being noticed so he quite rightly doesn't get a look in.
I’d question your view that he has a ‘history’ of controversial calls and I don’t agree with the premise that he does so because he wants to ‘gain the spotlight’. Sometimes people make errors-simple.

Newsflash to all fans
UMPIRES DONT CHEAT

Are you saying that when he failed to pay that free to Ziebell because of his self admitted belligerence he didn't cheat Ziebell out of a shot on goal? Cos that's wrong and at odds with what happened.

That one you think has a bias against your team? Nup. He doesn’t, sure he might have got a few wrong, oh well, do you accuse players on your team of cheating when they turn the ball over?
People saying Ray is a terrible umpire have got maybe 3 or 4 videos to show their “evidence”. Conservatively he’s made at least 3 or 400 decisions this year. Think about that for a second.
Crying blue murder is sad, he made a mistake and owned up to it, move on

There are plenty of s**t umps who don't go on the bloody radio drawing attention to why they are a s**t ump before being lauded for what they said instead of demoted. No player plays a perfect game and no umpire does either. But the umps are like the boundary paint and goal posts. They're sposed to be anonymous. If you don't see the fact we even know his name and he has a nickname is *en wrong then you don't understand the role of the umpires.

Anyway...

He described his own behaviour as belligerent, stubborn and incorrect. He acknowledged that he lets his pre existing biases influence his decisions and that was it.

He didn't say anything about fixing his behaviour. Nothing remotely concerned with improving himself. He acknowledged his mistake but lacks the self awareness to acknowledge he needs to take steps to stop himself making the same mistake again and again.

A belligerent is a person who takes part in a conflict. the umps aren't spopsed to do that. the opposing tyeams do. If he is belligerent while umpiring and makes a decision based on that its by definition a biased unfair one. if he thinks he can just say "sorry" and keep doing the same thing over and over then we have a bigger problem than North's lowest score in nearly 100 years.

This is a constant pattern of behaviour with him. He does it all the time. Not just to us. Type "Razor Ray" into that BF search bar and have a look how many threads come up. He inserts himself into the game instead of focusing on watching what happens and calling plays that fall outside the rules.

This is a detriment to the game. People stop watching

Yeah you're right, that missed Hawkins paid mark made all the difference in the game. Umpires don't cheat, he said it was a mistake and with the benefit of hindsight he can see it is a free kick. You're just a sooky lala who thinks the big bad AFL is out to hurt his poor little team this is a dumb thread and that's why you're getting dumb responses.

I think you'll find I'm getting dumb responses from dumb people.

Razor made a s**t call using s**t assumptions, rather than officiating what was actually happening.

I'm not sure I'd call it cheating, even if it does fit some dictionary definitions. If I thought he had intention to conspire against North Melbourne winning the game, I would agree. But I don't, so I won't. He's just a bit of a dickhead.

If I’m honest, I think I got a bit stubborn, I think I got a little bit belligerent.

He admits he was aggressively hostile toward a player who was infringed against.

This is ridiculous behaviour for an umpire.
A 'bit stubborn and belligerent" is aggressively hostile is it? Well there you go.

So he admits a fault in his decision making process and is disappointed in himself (inferring he will endevour to improve)- what a campaigner. Delist immediately!

I’d question your view that he has a ‘history’ of controversial calls and I don’t agree with the premise that he does so because he wants to ‘gain the spotlight’. Sometimes people make errors-simple.

Why do you think he got the nickname Razor Ray? It's not due to him using one to shave every morning, he got if from being an attention seeking little twerp that is notorious for making harsh controversial calls that rile up both players and spectators. If he didn't do this he would be anonymous like most other umpires.

A 'bit stubborn and belligerent" is aggressively hostile is it? Well there you go.

Belligerent is by definition "aggressively hostile". in the context of taking a side in a conflict. Why would he use that word if he meant something else?

So he admits a fault in his decision making process and is disappointed in himself (inferring he will endevour to improve)- what a campaigner. Delist immediately!

if nothing else he needs a spell in the magoos to learn some humility.

Belligerent is by definition "aggressively hostile". in the context of taking a side in a conflict. Why would he use that word if he meant something else?

if nothing else he needs a spell in the magoos to learn some humility.
Not paying a free is not aggressively hostile any way you cut it. His li e of thinking might have been, " nah * off mate Im not falling for that rubbish" but as mentioned, that is being human and it is something that will aleays be there. He has just come out and being completely honest about it while.most would.lie and deny it.
He didn't get in his grill and say " stop flopping *******". That is aggressively hostile.
A spell in the 2s might be warranted.but his honesty is refreshing in this industry..it should be encouraged in umpires and players alike. Characters in the game are sadly diminishing. I'd rather see our players speaking their mind but if coaches or umpires do it too I think it's a good thing.

Why do you think he got the nickname Razor Ray? It's not due to him using one to shave every morning, he got if from being an attention seeking little twerp that is notorious for making harsh controversial calls that rile up both players and spectators. If he didn't do this he would be anonymous like most other umpires.
I read that he got the nickname when he played cricket and used a razor-brand cricket bat.
He’s pretty theatrical -that’s why I notice him rather than because he’s making harsh calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back