Razor Ray cheated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not paying a free is not aggressively hostile any way you cut it. His li e of thinking might have been, " nah fu** off mate Im not falling for that rubbish" but as mentioned, that is being human and it is something that will aleays be there. He has just come out and being completely honest about it while.most would.lie and deny it.
He didn't get in his grill and say " stop flopping *******". That is aggressively hostile.
A spell in the 2s might be warranted.but his honesty is refreshing in this industry..it should be encouraged in umpires and players alike. Characters in the game are sadly diminishing. I'd rather see our players speaking their mind but if coaches or umpires do it too I think it's a good thing.

He used the word belligerent, that is what it means. He's the one describing his own behaviour. Don't argue with me about it ... ask him wtf he was talking about if that wasn't what he meant.

Honestly is one thing. Egocentric inexactitude is another.

He used the word belligerent, that is what it means. He's the one describing his own behaviour. Don't argue with me about it ... ask him wtf he was talking about if that wasn't what he meant.

Honestly is one thing. Egocentric inexactitude is another.
He used the word to describe his thought process not his behaviour, 2 very different things. You seem intent on calling him a cheat. If my team was so s**t they couldn't kick.more than 1.goal in a whole.game of footy I'd be shitty too but not at an umpire.
As long as it makes you feel better about yourself mate, you vent how you like.

Not new for umpires to make players earn a free kick if they don't like them. Nix Mackwell wrote a book about the Pies 2009 campaign, and in it he reveals an umpiring dept confession that Pies players were denied free kicks because the umps were sick of the backchat. I must have been the only person to read that book, because such a revelation should have caused an outcry. Razor confesses to something similar, and he's congratulated by Whately for his honesty? Later Blight set Whately straight. Surely Chamberlain can't continue after that. It's damning.

Without calling for him to be dropped.

Unreal.

No doubt there will be plenty of "ohh poor norf ... it wouldn't have changed the result anyway" from our resident Einstein's but it does point to a huge problem in the game.

For example if you were a non North supporting punter with a bet on Ziebell to score multiple goals for the game that umpires bias has cost you money. (So did Ziebell's poor kick in front of goal but that's not the issue. Even this wouldn't matter as much if the AFL wasn't so hell bent on promoting gambling to generate revenue.) The issue is umpire's using their bias' first and their eyes to regulate the game second.

i like your use of the apostrophe here. its ingenious.

I’d question your view that he has a ‘history’ of controversial calls and I don’t agree with the premise that he does so because he wants to ‘gain the spotlight’. Sometimes people make errors-simple.
This.

He's one of the better umpires. When he does make a mistake or controversial call people remember it because he is short and looks different. If he looked like an average joe people wouldn't have an issue with him. The TV producers/commentators love a story so focus on him because he's different and talks to the players a bit more which is actually a good thing. He doesn't ask or want the focus on him. People who think he makes calls to get the spotlight are simpletons. It's funny how most of the umps people hate are the ones which physically stand out. Razor - short. Nicholls - bald. Margetts -going bald. McLaren and McBurney used to cop it -bald.

Not new for umpires to make players earn a free kick if they don't like them. Nix Mackwell wrote a book about the Pies 2009 campaign, and in it he reveals an umpiring dept confession that Pies players were denied free kicks because the umps were sick of the backchat. I must have been the only person to read that book, because such a revelation should have caused an outcry. Razor confesses to something similar, and he's congratulated by Whately for his honesty? Later Blight set Whately straight. Surely Chamberlain can't continue after that. It's damning.

I never read his book but its a pretty bad attitude. Could cost a team finals or a punter some serious money. I remember hearing similar stories about Wayne Carey's relationship with the umpires. I can understand why it might happen but the whole point of umps is they're sposed to rise above that stuff and be fair. Hence the need for professional full time umps who are trained to deal with that stuff.

Lot's of us North supporters whinge because of what seems to be inconsistency. For example in that game on the weekend Dangerfield got a dangerous tackle free but Thompson didn't even tho the tackle he copped resulted in a concussion and him missing the game whereas Dangerfield seemed to be appealing for the free before he'd even hit the ground. Brown got nothing in a ruck contest because it looked like he "put mayo on it" but when exactly the same thing happened to Ratugolea with exactly the same body movement he gets a free. No doubt Geelong supporters will have their own opinions on what happened.

I understand we all do this. The umps have to use their discretion and have no perfect view of most contests. And no player plays a perfect game, why would expect that from umpires. If anything their job is a bit harder.

But what Chamberlain did is beyond that i reckon. He showed an intent to add something to the game that shouldn't be there. A free is a free and usually an attempt to fake one looks obvious enough that you can recognise it when it happen's. They don't need to "look out for them. Umpires s'houldn't have it in the front of their mind during a game. There's plenty of studies into perception and decision making that will show that attitude causes people to interpret otherwise neutral events in light of what they are looking for.

In the case of Razor ray if he's being "stubborn and belligerent" about it then that influence upon his decision making will be magnified.

By the way sorry about the apostrophes. I put them in there for sedders.

Still going ferball , hopefully you are living where the drought is, might be fixed with all your tears.

Yeah I am - I've even been fighting a fire this morning and have my crews scattered all over the place right now at several emergencies withibn 100km or so.

Unfoprtunatel;y as far as the drought goes ... as big a sook as I'm having its not enough to make skerrick of difference. (That probably applies to Chanmerlainb's umpiring too hey. :D )

Lerft in a hurry, left this computer and get back to find people are thinking of me. Cheers FRUMPY I do appreciate it.

Game was very close at that stage and Ziebel would have had a shot from directly in front about 20m to put North in front.
Instead ball gets turned over and Cats go straight down and get a goal and go on a nice little roll.
Had the free, that was definitely there, been paid and Ziebel goal'd would Nth have got some momentum and gone on a run??
Will never know.

Did Umpire Chamberlain cheat? I am going to say no.
But, he did decide to not pay a free kick that was 100% there that he saw as he was right there. He loves the spotlight and makes calls and non calls incorrectly as he must think he is bigger than the game.

I must admit I dread him Umpiring Eagles game as you have no idea what you will get one way or the other. The only guarantee is inconsistency.

He certainly seems himself as some kind of media identity that has a "persona" to play up to.

When he got hit in the nuts in the North v Richmond game, he had to play up to the crowd.

Umpires are treated as if they are not there if the ball hits them, they should be the same all the time. Make your decisions, get your money.

They really really shouldn't become part of the game with their own profiles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, given the game is impossible to umpire, I think he's not doing too badly.

Seriously, when half the rules lean on an umpires interpretation or opinion, it's no wonder that they become more like a leader of the game, rather than a facilitator. I don't really blame the umps at all, but it's been a little dire this finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back