razor ray real disgrace to the game

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Made sure he got plenty of attention last night did old razor.

You have to wonder why he kept trying to bounce it when it was obvious he was too weak to get the ball more than 2m off the ground? And for some reason bouncing it in just a randomly selected spot instead of the middle? Then refusing to call back his crap bounce that almost went sideways out of the circle.

The other ump seemed to have no trouble getting a good bounce in the centre.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Razor should take Kolodjashnij under his wing, cause he certainly can’t football.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
No no no he isn’t. He’s a terrible umpire because he likes to stamp himself on the game. He wants people to walk away from the game and know that “razor” umpired that game.
If you simply pay attention to his actual decision making he's generally above average for an AFL umpire, people though tend to notice and really remember when he makes mistakes because the bloke "makes it all about him."

Never have a problem when I see his name on the list for a Freo game but there are about 10 other clowns I just think ughhh when I see theirs.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
If you simply pay attention to his actual decision making he's generally above average for an AFL umpire, people though tend to notice and really remember when he makes mistakes because the bloke "makes it all about him."

Never have a problem when I see his name on the list for a Freo game but there are about 10 other clowns I just think ughhh when I see theirs.
he makes sure there is at least one high profile controversial decision a game which is on him, imo.

Obvious why he does it- ask AFL-fair weather fans to name one ump, it will be him they can name.

and can't argue it has worked for him, with him getting a GF berth last year when he is not in the top echelon of umps (he is not one of the worst umps though either).

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Only umpire in the game who doesn't sh*t his pants and give in to the home crowd.
Would have to disagree on last nights effort. All of the umps last night were horrible.

And here is the problem, how many can name any other umpire/clown? Razor needs to be seen and not heard.

Did you even see the passage of play I'm referring to or just couldn't resist being a stupid smart arse? It was worse than your club ever will be. Trying googling most overzealous umpiring moment in AFL history.
I just google it and this came up

If you don't want people to be smart asses then don't come to the main board whining about umpires when your team lost

TrimmyTraggot

Rookie
Oct 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

I'm the opposite I cringe everytime he's called up for one of our games. You just know it's going to get overumpired to the point it decides the game.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Razor is a gun umpire, commands respect and knows how to get it when he isnt, wheres the problem.
Reminds me of an NRL umpire, blows the whistle and explains why with confidence.
Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence If youre good at your craft.
People always bag the umpires for being amatuer, well Ray is as professional as we have and people still whinge.

Keep up the good work Razor, some of us appreciate it.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
you never see NRL officials attempting to upstage the players,tho Bill back in the day had a bit of Hollywood about him

Bill Harrigan? He was a bit of a showpony but he was a very good referee unlike Razor who is an average umpire at best.

I am confident he would be a better umpire if he didn't have a mic.

He'd probably retire on the spot if he wasn't allowed to have a mic, it would greatly reduce his ability to showboat.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Overly theatrical or not, I stand by my opinion that he's the least likely of any umpire to give in to the home crowd and just calls it as he sees it. If I had to select the umpires for every game we play he'd be the first picked every time.

One good thing about him is that he usually doesn't favour one team over another unlike some other umpires, he makes some terrible decisions at times but at least he makes them both ways.

I swear they have his mic turned up louder than the other umps
I heard him ask for the ruck nominations every single time.

Can't recall hearing one from Nick Foot. And I highly doubt that's because Foot never asked.

Scroater

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2003
InLarry6'sbulldogphotos
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Made sure he got plenty of attention last night did old razor.

You have to wonder why he kept trying to bounce it when it was obvious he was too weak to get the ball more than 2m off the ground? And for some reason bouncing it in just a randomly selected spot instead of the middle? Then refusing to call back his crap bounce that almost went sideways out of the circle.

The other ump seemed to have no trouble getting a good bounce in the centre.

Can someone confirm that Chris SCOTT specifically told Razor not to bounce the ball anymore? If so, and he already knows he can't bounce the ball, why would he keep bouncing unless it was all about him.

When Marshall was having a shot in the last, you can see Razor practising his bouncing. Ray bounces ball, it goes straight sideways, doesn't call it back, then misses a blatant free kick. But it's not all about him.

Derek HUMPHREY SMITH (and I'm sure there are others) was apparently a good umpire who couldn't bounce the ball so was given the flick. Razor seems to be Teflon because his bouncing hasn't just turned to shyte recently.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
One good thing about him is that he usually doesn't favour one team over another unlike some other umpires, he makes some terrible decisions at times but at least he makes them both ways.
Agreed, he doesnt always get it right in the eyes of the fans but there is a lot of grey in the rules of our game so thats not really surprising, but he stands by his decisions and is rarely if ever biased.

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The guy is a smart arse that tries to goad players into spitting the dummy.

It's a disgrace.

It's completely unprofessional and wouldn't be tolerated in any other serious professional league on the planet.

Ned_Isakoff

Senior List
Aug 27, 2018
Hiding at Pop Sings
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm the opposite I cringe everytime he's called up for one of our games. You just know it's going to get overumpired to the point it decides the game.
Lol -Razor Ray did not "decide the game" last night. Geelong's under performing forward line cost them the game.
Where did I say the umpiring cost us the game? Too many head knocks in your junior days mate

The bolded part is where you say he decides games everytime he umpires your team.

He didn't affect last night's result. Our team's desperation and committment did.

Good luck next week.

Back