Razorless shaving

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
http://www.softsheen-carson.com/_us/_en/products/mensgrooming/magicshave.aspx

They are known as depilatories, where the active ingredient in them breaks down the protein structure of the hair until it falls out. The hair starts to grow back again in a couple of days.
No more shaving with a razor means goodbye to cuts, nicks, razor burn, etc. I'm curious to see how effective it is so I've ordered the products online from ebay in Oz.

Has anyone used these products before or something similar?

nads_39

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
You know depilatory creams can be bought in your local supermarket?

I don't like using them though as it didn't seem very effective. Sure didn't leave a very clean result for me. Try waxing instead!

Also, be sure to test a small spot on your skin first as the chemicals are pretty strong.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
You know depilatory creams can be bought in your local supermarket?
Yeah I know but most depilatory creams are for removing hair from arms, legs, torso, etc. i.e areas on the body that are a lot less sensitive than the face and neck, which are the target areas of these particular products.
I don't like using them though as it didn't seem very effective. Sure didn't leave a very clean result for me. Try waxing instead!
Waxing the beard area sounds painful; you can rip off skin or bleed heavily if you don't do it right. Which suddenly makes shaving more attractive again.
Also, be sure to test a small spot on your skin first as the chemicals are pretty strong.
Sure, a patch test to see if your body can take it.

nads_39

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I know but most depilatory creams are for removing hair from arms, legs, torso, etc. i.e areas on the body that are a lot less sensitive than the face and neck, which are the target areas of these particular products.

Waxing the beard area sounds painful; you can rip off skin or bleed heavily if you don't do it right. Which suddenly makes shaving more attractive again.

Sure, a patch test to see if your body can take it.

Oh haha, with a username like Rod Stroker I didn't even consider that it would be for your face!
As I am no bearded lady, I have no experience with depilatory creams on my face.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Oh haha, with a username like Rod Stroker I didn't even consider that it would be for your face!
As I am no bearded lady, I have no experience with depilatory creams on my face.
Good luck.
Yes I'm looking at this as being an alternative to the daily lather and scrape each morning. There is no other routine activity I hate more than shaving.

Good luck.
With a name like nads, who would have guessed you'd be discussing alternatives to shaving!

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes I'm looking at this as being an alternative to the daily lather and scrape each morning. There is no other routine activity I hate more than shaving.

Let us know how it goes. I hate shaving to the point where I just don't do it anymore. These days I just trim it down with a battery powered hair trimmer once a week.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
These are heavily marketed to women.
These magic shave products in particular are actually manufactured and marketed towards men.
Most women don't like them because they can sting, they stink, and aren't terribly effective.
I can live with a little sting and pong if it means I don't need to shave with a razor for a couple of days. Short term pain for longer term gain.
Why they're even still on the market I don't know...
magic shave products have been on the market for decades in the US.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Magic Shave
Proven Stops Razor Bumps
Magic Shave is the razorless hair removal system for black men. The skin-conditioning formula features cocoa butter and natural oils for soft, smooth, bump-free skin.

Well I can't use it then.
It's tailored for black guys because they are apparently more sensitive to ingrown hairs ("razor bumps") when shaving due to their tight, course, curly hair. But it works on white fellas as well. It's a non-discriminatory product :)

Search for "magic shave" on ebay and read the reviews.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Let us know how it goes. I hate shaving to the point where I just don't do it anymore. These days I just trim it down with a battery powered hair trimmer once a week.
Will do, although apparently results vary from person to person. So if it's great/crap for me, then it could have the opposite effect on you.

I ordered it this week from ebay and it should arrive next week. Keep you posted.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Magic Shave
Proven Stops Razor Bumps
Magic Shave is the razorless hair removal system for black men. The skin-conditioning formula features cocoa butter and natural oils for soft, smooth, bump-free skin.

Well I can't use it then.

Yeah, that sucks. I would only be able to use it for my pubes, cos, well, I'm black down there.

Oct 23, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
These magic shave products in particular are actually manufactured and marketed towards men.

Um, hi. Let me introduce you to the concept of females. Mass hair removal market.

I didn't specify (or mean) that THIS particular brand are marketed to women. I said depilatory creams are marketed heavily to women, which they are. Go have a look in your nearest supermarket - there'll be tons of them there for women.

magic shave products have been on the market for decades in the US.

Didn't say they haven't. In fact they've also been here in Australia for women for decades.

You asked who'd used them, I'm answering. They do work differently on different people, but if it burns you (like they do many people), don't say you weren't warned (and next time don't ask!). Have fun...

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I hate shaving too, pisses me off no end. I just use hair clippers on "zero" (no attachments on) and shave down to as close as it will go. Easy, fast, doesnt give me rashes, dont cut myself and it gives me a cool stubble :D

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Um, hi. Let me introduce you to the concept of females. Mass hair removal market.

I didn't specify (or mean) that THIS particular brand are marketed to women. I said depilatory creams are marketed heavily to women, which they are. Go have a look in your nearest supermarket - there'll be tons of them there for women.

Didn't say they haven't. In fact they've also been here in Australia for women for decades.

You asked who'd used them, I'm answering. They do work differently on different people, but if it burns you (like they do many people), don't say you weren't warned (and next time don't ask!). Have fun...
Chronic case of PMS there, sweetie?

My OP and the link in it specifically referred to male razorless shaving products. I wasn't expecting females to respond. Unless they have facial hair.

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Just like razors right.

Razors - mass male market.

Although I have never seen what a female razor looks like, something tells me that they are nothing more than a male razor marketed simply toward women.

Razors that women use to shave their legs/arms are no different to the general male razor used to shave our faces daily.

Wait, colouring them pink all of a sudden makes them a female razor right :rolleyes:

Just using your logic.

Oct 23, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just like razors right.

Razors - mass male market.

Although I have never seen what a female razor looks like, something tells me that they are nothing more than a male razor marketed simply toward women.

Razors that women use to shave their legs/arms are no different to the general male razor used to shave our faces daily.

Wait, colouring them pink all of a sudden makes them a female razor right :rolleyes:

Just using your logic.

I never, ever said that depilatory creams are only for women. I was mentioning it to show that women might have some experience in discussing them too! And in Australia, probably more women have used them than men, so they'd be able to offer tips about them.

Not to mention that the OP acted like they were something new here (why get them online?) - they're everywhere in the supermarket already.

When did I ever say they are a female product?

Insecurity, much?

Oct 23, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Chronic case of PMS there, sweetie?

My OP and the link in it specifically referred to male razorless shaving products. I wasn't expecting females to respond. Unless they have facial hair.

You sure do seem to have issues with women. Guess you don't like being shot down by anything that doesn't have a penis, hey?

You weren't expecting females to respond probably because you had no idea that women already have a lot of experience with the product you think is "OMG AMAZING GET IT FROM THE INTERNET NOW!!!", when it's already on your supermarket shelf.

BTW, here's something about facial hair on women. Check out the number of women removing facial hair.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/women/9911/29/excess.facial.hair.wmd/

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
You sure do seem to have issues with women.
Only the uptight, neurotic, insecure ones who barrack for Essendon.
Guess you don't like being shot down
Yes, you really shot me down and taught me a lesson :rolleyes:
by anything that doesn't have a penis, hey?
I'm not so sure that you don't have a penis actually.
You weren't expecting females to respond probably because you had no idea that women already have a lot of experience with the product you think is "OMG AMAZING GET IT FROM THE INTERNET NOW!!!", when it's already on your supermarket shelf.
No, the specific product I am interested in as per my OP is not on my supermarket shelf. And it's not available in my country of residence. Which is exactly why I ordered it online.
BTW, here's something about facial hair on women. Check out the number of women removing facial hair.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/women/9911/29/excess.facial.hair.wmd/
You can use Google. Good for you.

To be clear, I am only seeking feedback from males who have used these or similar products before.

Mattlowry

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Hair removal cream products generally don' work very well. Not for me at least. I have been using them on my chest maybe 7-8 times in the past 5 months (mainly when im about to go clubbing and i am wearing a v-neck or similar top) and last summer when i was going to the beach alot (you know to be more aerodynamic... cough).

They miss some hairs, dont remove all of some hairs. Have tried a few brands. None work to the degree they say they do. Biting th ebullet and getting a wax this summer. Don't really care who teases me bout it.

Toughen up and use a razor on your face though. I shave 4 times a week on average and cut myself maybe once every 6-9 months.

Back