Match Discussion Rd 1, 1982 : Carlton 16.17.113 drew Fitzroy 17.11.113, Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I mention this match because FitzroyTV has posted the final quarter for us to see.

Part 1: [YOUTUBE]t9u-3c7I-vY[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2: [YOUTUBE]u2FJo8qoe88[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3: [YOUTUBE]FFP0sNkkPq4[/YOUTUBE]

Part 4: [YOUTUBE]lqbFcVo4Y1g[/YOUTUBE]

Anybody's personal memories of this match are welcome here! Its before my time so I'll keep my mouth shut.

PS: :footy:

11 Years of age at the time. Distinct memory that Carlton had 5 banners to run through before the game and a further 1 to run through as they came out after half time. (Pretty sure it was this game). Bluebirds with full kit on.

This was the game that ultimately stopped patrons taking their own beer to the footy and they brought in the 2 can rule.There was a fight in the crowd at the end of the game and a bloke was killed.

Another game we were robbed off by a crap umpiring decision-although we got the draw. I remember it was a packed house full of Crlton supporters there to watch the unfurling of the 1981 Flag. Carlton were odds on favorites to win this at home.

A small but vocal pack of Lions supporters also squeezed in. Carlton dominated for 2 and a half quarters, being 6 goals up at one stage.

It was a very tense finish with Wells from Carlton getting a bs free kick and kicking a rushed point as the siren went.

All hell broke loose in the outer and a fight erupted. Unfortunately an innocent bystander was king hit and died. Booze was blamed and so ended the days of taking the esky full of grog to the footy.

Thanks for the video Mobbs, it was great to see the champ Garry Wilson and the late Les Parish in action again.

Mobbs, he was a Carlton fan who was caught up in the middle of the fight trying to shield his 12 year old son. Fists were flying everywhere and no one was charged with his death.

Very sad end to a great game.

wow yeah that's very sad ... such a shame

re the match, don't thank me, thank The Lions Den - I found it on his Youtube page :)

Also, re the result, didn't that ball come off hands for the rushed behind? Shouldn't the ball have been called dead at the moment it was touched, and hence no score? I might have it wrong, but that's what I thought anyways.

This match was from before my days seeing them play, well before. Great to see some players I knew very little about, Galaxy Coleman, Cox, Coates, very interesting to watch them.

Yes, there was a lot of controversy about that. Fitzroy claim it was a dead ball as it came off the pack Cant remember what the VFL said now but the result stood.

I'm wondering if it the rule is that its dead ball:
a) as soon as it is touched and/or
b) as soon as it touches the ground and/or
c) as soon as it stops moving.

I wouldn't think b) would be right, because if you kick a ball at goal before the siren, and the siren goes, and it bounces on through, the score counts. So its got to be one or both of a) and c).

Yes was at this game and unfortunately it is remembered for the ugly incident in the crowd.

My recollection was the sheer volume of people in the ground and the nastiness of the "loaded" Carlton supporters after the game towards the Roy supporters. I was behind the goals at the standing room end and the mouthy Carlton supporters were looking for takers!!

Also remember Rod Ashman giving Brad Gotch a huge backhander behind play....dirty little bastard! Typical Carlton!

Just come across this thread - top drop-in there Mobbs :D

Was very young indeed when this match happened- hope there's a way to get a copy of the whole thing...

I seem to remember a story of the rest of the team shaking Mick Conlan's hand as it was felt he had basically singlehandedly got us back into it after we were down and out at half time. I also remember being surrounded by arrogant Carlton supporters who thought they would win by 20 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game we were robbed off by a crap umpiring decision-although we got the draw. I remember it was a packed house full of Crlton supporters there to watch the unfurling of the 1981 Flag. Carlton were odds on favorites to win this at home.

A small but vocal pack of Lions supporters also squeezed in. Carlton dominated for 2 and a half quarters, being 6 goals up at one stage.

It was a very tense finish with Wells from Carlton getting a bs free kick and kicking a rushed point as the siren went.

All hell broke loose in the outer and a fight erupted. Unfortunately an innocent bystander was king hit and died. Booze was blamed and so ended the days of taking the esky full of grog to the footy.

Thanks for the video Mobbs, it was great to see the champ Garry Wilson and the late Les Parish in action again.
Crowd behaviour at VFL matches was put under the spotlight after the death of 28-year-old father Robert Dickson. Dickson, an innocent bystander to a brawl in the crowd of the Round 1 match between Carlton and Fitzroy at Princes Park, was king-hit as he tried to protect his six-year-old son from the violence. He was released from hospital after the incident, but suffered an aneurysm a week later and died in hospital in late April. Dickson's autopsy did not connect his aneurysm to the trauma suffered in the brawl, but the incident nevertheless served as a trigger for the VFL and police to review behavioural standards of patrons at VFL matches, which had been poor in recent years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back