Review Rd 1, 2019: Geelong defeats Pies at MCG by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rohan didn’t get credit on the stat sheet for crashing packs and creating panic with his blistering chasedowns. Yet Elliott did for a Joe-the-goose goal.

Stats eh?

Was clearly short of a gallop after not running for 12 weeks during the middle of the season but still kicked 11 goals in his last 6 games including 3 against the best team in the comp. Hardly found out. And lets all deliberately forget when he was match fit that he kicked 15 goals in the first 5 games. But we rewrite history to make ouselves feel better about thr decisions we make. Its how the human mind is hardwired.

We replaced him with rohan who kicked only 7 goals in his entire season and found less of the ball then menzel. If menzel was found out kicking 11 in 6 games whilst not match fit then how much was Rohan found it? Or does it simply not count if you are always sh***. Rohan did average 1.5 more tackles a game then Menzel though. Apparently tackle stats now give you two goals automatically to your score.

What you thought rohan averaged 4-6 more tackles a game then menzel. Nope its 1.5. Menzel averaged 1.5 goals a game more than rohan (and also averaged more disposal too). So tackles are now worth more than goals.

Seriously mate what is this?

We. Do. Not. Need. A. Two. Goal. Unaccountable. Forward.

Yes absolutely a player like Menzel has his place in football. He had great goal sense and was a quality finisher.

He also had - through no fault of his own - absolutely no ability to make an opponent accountable whenever the ball wasn’t in his hands, was able to apply no pressure (again not his fault) and was simply unable to bring any real pressure.

We have one of the best power forwards of the last decade.
We have a midfielder who in another universe could be a 50-60 goal forward. We have perhaps the most skilful player of the century who was also one time our leading goal kicker. We have two more midfielders who can easily average a goal plus a game.
What we didn’t have is players capable of keeping the ball forward, tackling, chasing, hassling, scrapping.

You are one of the biggest critics of what we were doing for the last 3 years. Why do you have such a moral objection to such a clear effort to redress the issues that led to our exit in those 3 years

Still my personal favourite soccer player is Miroslav Klose, not sure what else you would call him...

There is nothing wrong with forwards that only finish and do not really create. Being able to convert opportunity into results is the primary mission of the forward line.

There's nothing wrong with it, but in the modern game of AFL, they are pretty extreme and have to be good enough to demand superglue-esque attention. Menzel is sadly no longer that.

Off-topic, but in a similar vein - there is a funny story about a scout watching a very young Van Nistelrooy. The notes read something like: "Did nothing, scored three goals".

A few times Collingwood looked like they were going to waltz out but we pressured them into an error. Was great to see.

Still a massive work in progress. Felt that the pies had a more open fwd line at times. Ours generally more congested which follows. But our easiest or least effort goal was Stanley’s long ball to the pack and parfait over the back.

Watched replay now. Rohan played well I thought. His closing speed alone worried a number of pies out of it.

Melb another difficult proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was clearly short of a gallop after not running for 12 weeks during the middle of the season but still kicked 11 goals in his last 6 games including 3 against the best team in the comp. Hardly found out. And lets all deliberately forget when he was match fit that he kicked 15 goals in the first 5 games. But we rewrite history to make ouselves feel better about thr decisions we make. Its how the human mind is hardwired.

We replaced him with rohan who kicked only 7 goals in his entire season and found less of the ball then menzel. If menzel was found out kicking 11 in 6 games whilst not match fit then how much was Rohan found it? Or does it simply not count if you are always sh***. Rohan did average 1.5 more tackles a game then Menzel though. Apparently tackle stats now give you two goals automatically to your score.

What you thought rohan averaged 4-6 more tackles a game then menzel. Nope its 1.5. Menzel averaged 1.5 goals a game more than rohan (and also averaged more disposal too). So tackles are now worth more than goals.

Rohan made us feel more threatening whatever the stats. Menz did almost zero off the ball. Nature of the game now.

Coaches Votes – Round One vs Melbourne

10 Votes – Tim Kelly
5 Votes – Patrick Dangerfield
5 Votes – Darcy Moore
3 Votes – Harry Taylor
3 Votes – Rhys Stanley
2 Votes – Gary Ablett
2 Votes – Tom Stewart

Bucks obviously not impressed with his boys.

I thought someone had died watching the bucks press conference. Almost no positives.

You won't get any negatives on here. Big chance to become an A grader. Not a lot of leg speed but more than makes up for it with footy smarts and the most sublime side step there is. Very underrated outside Geelong would be my guess.

I like his 70’s hairstyle as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wylie f***ing Buzza averages more contested marks per game than Menzel’s 1.

Menzel was a good player, he had his place and his foot skills were among the best out forward 50 has seen in the last 10 years, but his ‘set ups’ of other players for goals was 0.7 per game over the last 3 years. Hawkins for example averages 1 - and a shitload more score involvements.

Menz was generally considered selfish. That play in the prelim 2017 should have been his swansong.

Reckon Rohan would give Wojo a run for his money. See him sprint down and bump the Collingwood player was incredible in the dying seconds! The dude has nitro!

There’s no stat psych pressure he was applying with his closing speed. Thought he was a bit nervous as well.

Rohan made us feel more threatening whatever the stats. Menz did almost zero off the ball. Nature of the game now.

If people start rejecting logic and stats cos it doesnt suit their view then you reduce yourself to be incapable of human debate. We may as well shut this forum down. By the way menzel had the same tackles in his last game as rohan did on friday. Not that it matters cos rohan had pysch pressure. Yes. pHysche pressure..... lets all say it again, pysche pressure.

People see what they want to see. Stats dont lie.

One of Chris Scott or Nathan Buckley thought that Stanley was the third best player on the ground. High praise indeed for that last half of work.

Yeah and there’s a certain poster who goes on and on about missing out on grundy. And am pretty sure same poster put his effort down to Sav tiring him out. No one independent thinks that.

If people start rejecting logic and stats cos it doesnt suit their view then you reduce yourself to be incapable of human debate. We may as well shut this forum down. By the way menzel had the same tackles in his last game as rohan did on friday. Not that it matters cos rohan had pysch pressure. Yes. pHysche pressure..... lets all say it again, pysche pressure.

No it just appreciates the greys in human endeavour. Not all human endeavour is quantifiable. What we are putting fwd is that Rohan had a qualifiable impact that was noticeable.

You are omitting the fact that in his first two games back, he had the grand sum total of fifteen touches, one goal and one goal assist, though.

The major issue with those eight games on return, though, is that he just got his hands on the ball so little. Not once in eight games did he get more than eleven touches. For a player who's getting 12 goals in 8 games, that's not good enough.

And yes, he was short of a gallop - but at this point, it's reasonable to suggest that he always will be. He'll be short of a gallop again this year.

Were menzel’s tackles applied because a direct opponent happened to be right next to him when receiving the ball, did they try and run straight over Menzel who, if nothing else, is reasonably big and strong?

I do not seriously understand how anyone who watched friday’s game can’t see an immediate difference just from having someone fast who is willing and able to run and harass.

Rohan attacking the packs and applying forward pressure was a pleasure to watch. We will require goals from all positions to contend - the more we keep it in our half of course the better.

Definitely a new look forward line with all players trying to lock it in and create turnovers either directly or by forcing a rushed exit - lot to like about that

One little thing that I also loved - Miers laid a solid shepherd for Parfitt even though he was on the goal line and safe from being tackled
Shows a positive mindset and adherence to discipline which has been a question of late , if they all think that way can only be a good thing 👍

One little thing that I also loved - Miers laid a solid shepherd for Parfitt even though he was on the goal line and safe from being tackled
Shows a positive mindset and adherence to discipline which has been a question of late , if they all think that way can only be a good thing 👍

You're not alone there. It speaks to mindset and better coaching. Players Always looking to influence the play in a way that works best for the team, as opposed to the individual. That sort of play can be infectious through a team.

Were menzel’s tackles applied because a direct opponent happened to be right next to him when receiving the ball, did they try and run straight over Menzel who, if nothing else, is reasonably big and strong?

I do not seriously understand how anyone who watched friday’s game can’t see an immediate difference just from having someone fast who is willing and able to run and harass.
It's good having someone who can actually change direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back