Review Rd 1, 2019: Win vs Sydney - autopsy. 82-65

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm. Not easy to break that one down but obviously both coaches had Bont as BoG.

Longmire (who mentioned more than once in his press conf that our winning midfield was decisive):
5-Bont
4-Macrae
3-J.Lloyd (Syd)
2-Libba
1-Naughton

Bevo
5-Bont
4-Naughton (Bevo had a fair bit invested in the tactical risk of Naughton as a fwd)
3-Libba
2-Wallis
1-Daniel (another Bevo tactical ploy)

Naturally there are some other quite plausible alternatives but that's my guess.
I think you've got it DW. Seems likely Horse would rate Macraes 32 possessions highly given he sent Hewitt to him for a large part of the game. And Hewitt has been very successfull quelling good players over the last year (but not on sat nite).

Bonts match sealing goal at the end has Macraes roost out of the backline as an integral part of it.

Im with Horse. I cant think of another player Ive had more respect for in my time supporting the dogs. He's a tour de force between the ears.

7 tackles for English. He still ain’t ready, but he’s going to get there.
thought the same. plenty of times he's still a baby out there but you need a tall ruck these days and every now and then you see a bit of his skill and running power

something i loved about Naughton, there was a contest where the commentators were like gee he looks tired because he was loping toward the ball, then he exploded into the ball. that sort of timing at a contest helps you wait to the last moment to make your decision. he's a brilliant athlete and clearly worries oppo teams. I'm tipping he will draw enough attention to get Scache a lot of looks this year. Schache doesn't look strong enough to take all the opposition brunt but he does have some nous for bobbing up and taking opportunities here and there

I was at the game and have also watched the replay now. McLean was fantastic. He had three or four consecutive incorrect umpiring decisions go against him in the second half

One eyed doggies supporter reports his favourite player had 3 or 4 consecutive incorrect umpire decisions go against him in the 2nd. :eek: :p

I think you've got it DW. Seems likely Horse would rate Macraes 32 possessions highly given he sent Hewitt to him for a large part of the game. And Hewitt has been very successfull quelling good players over the last year (but not on sat nite).

Bonts match sealing goal at the end has Macraes roost out of the backline as an integral part of it.

Im with Horse. I cant think of another player Ive had more respect for in my time supporting the dogs. He's a tour de force between the ears.
"a tour de force between the ears" :thumbsu:

There you go. Al doesn't let us down. 😁 Although disappointed there was no SEN call.

Thanks Al.

It can be instructive to watch the tape on crucial moments like that, even when it's not a GF.

When Aliir Aliir grabbed the ball in the centre after Macrae roosted it out of the back pocket, Bont was jogging out around CHB. When Sam Lloyd laid the tackle on the Swans player that allowed the ball to spill free to McLean, Bont was hovering in direct camera line, i.e. still poised at about centre of the ground.
Fast forward a few seconds and a couple of handballs and you see Bont sprinting forward into the paddock. McLean had the composure to look and to spot Bont and the skill to execute a pinpoint pass. Bont didn't have to break stride but crucially he still had to grab the ball without a fumble, allowing him to waltz in. So often we see the mark spilled in pressure situations like that. And marking the ball in the hands while running at full tilt in the same direction as the ball is much harder than he made it look.

So kudos in the play that sealed the game goes to:
  • Macrae for his endurance deep in the fourth to find the ball and clear it long
  • Lloyd (among others) to dig deep enough to cause the spillage - an ounce less pressure and the Swans again drive it deep forward and maybe there's a different result and a whole different narrative that comes out of the game
  • McLean - vision, composure, execution
  • Bont - footy IQ, gut running, clean handling

Remember when Matthew Lloyd said during trade week last year that Libba would not get a game in Essendon's midfield? Yep, the same Libba that is a premiership hero and inside mid beast of the competition, who once again schooled Sydney's much hyped inside midfield brigade. And yep, the same Essendon who has the shittest, smallest, thinnest, most outside midfield in the competition, and who just got destroyed by the GWS mids minus Ward and Kelly.

Great analysis there Lloydy :thumbsu:
The same Essendon team where their posters even mentioned that they would like Libba in their team? hahaha (to be fair, it was only one person)

Thanks Al.

It can be instructive to watch the tape on crucial moments like that, even when it's not a GF.

When Aliir Aliir grabbed the ball in the centre after Macrae roosted it out of the back pocket, Bont was jogging out around CHB. When Sam Lloyd laid the tackle on the Swans player that allowed the ball to spill free to McLean, Bont was hovering in direct camera line, i.e. still poised at about centre of the ground.
Fast forward a few seconds and a couple of handballs and you see Bont sprinting forward into the paddock. McLean had the composure to look and to spot Bont and the skill to execute a pinpoint pass. Bont didn't have to break stride but crucially he still had to grab the ball without a fumble, allowing him to waltz in. So often we see the mark spilled in pressure situations like that. And marking the ball in the hands while running at full tilt in the same direction as the ball is much harder than he made it look.

• Macrae for his endurance deep in the fourth to find the ball and clear it long
  • Lloyd (among others) to dig deep enough to cause the spillage - an ounce less pressure and the Swans again drive it deep forward and maybe there's a different result and a whole different narrative that comes out of the game

Wallis was in there, McLean did a 1-2 off him. Wallis holds the handball back until McLean has got clear.

Thanks Al.

Schache made a fair contribution in the play too as well as the one immediately after (Lloyds goal). A good few minutes for him at the death when yhe game was on the line.
Hope Bevo gave him some feedback. No doubt he would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae our third tall defender ;)

Thanks Al.

That Bont goal was incredibly reminiscent of the pivotal moment in 2016 Prelim when we were desperately scrapping for the ball on the halfback flank boundary until it bobbled into JJ's hand who raced off and kicked it long to the Bont who read the play to perfection running forward of the ball and rammed through the goal to put us back in front. You cannot teach what the Bont knows to do instinctively, Its why he is a once in a generation player.

Last edited:
On replay:

• Richards is a superstar. Hardly made a mistake but most importantly, he plays the game at pace. He makes quick decisions, he attacks and wins the ball at pace, and moves the ball at pace. It's not just about legspeed, its about everything that goes on with it, and in a league that's still all about flooding and pressure, Richards moving forward this year is going to be key in getting the ball forward into our forward line quickly
  • English will be fine. Pretty much all of his weaknesses as a player can be put down to the fact that he's skinny. Other than that he clearly doesn't look out of place in the AFL, and he's still only playing his 11th game. Not saying he had a fantastic game, but the ways in which he's exposed can be summed up to simply, "he's skinny"
  • Part of the pressure and tackling success came from the fact that we look noticeably bigger. Putting on muscle seemed to be an off-season priority.
  • Even if Sydney had taken the lead I believe we would have come back and won, as they had used up all their petrol tickets. Of course you rise a bit when you protect a lead, but in the end, they were spent. One goal down their last three or four entries were nothing but long bombs in, when we won the ball we couldn't chase, and even in a 3 minute patch at the end of the game we could have kicked two more goals than the two we already scored: McLean's mark inside 50 and Libba's miss on the siren.
  • Naughton was even better down back to protect the lead on a second watch, he got to every contest and read the play fantastically. He might go down back permanently if we choose to play Boyd/Trengrove as ruck/forwards to support English but that might be something we only look at if both Naughton and English look poor as young players over the next few weeks.
  • I think we need to go a little bit softer on Williams, not that I think people are saying he was poor is wrong, but it was noticable that he played the specific role that we had Morris playing, and he was a lot more "key-defender-esque" than what his natural ability dictaces. There's no guarantee he was even in the 22 (or was in the midfield) until Morris went down, and I'm sure how we organise the defence heading forward and what it means for Williams' role heading forward.

There you go. Al doesn't let us down. 😁 Although disappointed there was no SEN call.

Brilliant. Can you please tell me where you can access these? I used to love them but went off due to AFL restrictions. You can PM me, but please let me know.

Also, anywhere I can watch the replay. I don't have fox. o_O

On replay:

• Richards is a superstar. Hardly made a mistake but most importantly, he plays the game at pace. He makes quick decisions, he attacks and wins the ball at pace, and moves the ball at pace. It's not just about legspeed, its about everything that goes on with it, and in a league that's still all about flooding and pressure, Richards moving forward this year is going to be key in getting the ball forward into our forward line quickly
  • English will be fine. Pretty much all of his weaknesses as a player can be put down to the fact that he's skinny. Other than that he clearly doesn't look out of place in the AFL, and he's still only playing his 11th game. Not saying he had a fantastic game, but the ways in which he's exposed can be summed up to simply, "he's skinny"
  • Part of the pressure and tackling success came from the fact that we look noticeably bigger. Putting on muscle seemed to be an off-season priority.
  • Even if Sydney had taken the lead I believe we would have come back and won, as they had used up all their petrol tickets. Of course you rise a bit when you protect a lead, but in the end, they were spent. One goal down their last three or four entries were nothing but long bombs in, when we won the ball we couldn't chase, and even in a 3 minute patch at the end of the game we could have kicked two more goals than the two we already scored: McLean's mark inside 50 and Libba's miss on the siren.
  • Naughton was even better down back to protect the lead on a second watch, he got to every contest and read the play fantastically. He might go down back permanently if we choose to play Boyd/Trengrove as ruck/forwards to support English but that might be something we only look at if both Naughton and English look poor as young players over the next few weeks.
  • I think we need to go a little bit softer on Williams, not that I think people are saying he was poor is wrong, but it was noticable that he played the specific role that we had Morris playing, and he was a lot more "key-defender-esque" than what his natural ability dictaces. There's no guarantee he was even in the 22 (or was in the midfield) until Morris went down, and I'm sure how we organise the defence heading forward and what it means for Williams' role heading forward.

Agree re Richards. Needs to find more of the ball, but he is everything we need. Speed, skill, class and an attacking mindset.

Was thinking the other day about the players we’d like to have 2 of. Bonti and naughton for sure, but Richards was the next one that came to mind for me. I’d love one like him in all 3 parts of the ground.

Agree re Richards. Needs to find more of the ball, but he is everything we need. Speed, skill, class and an attacking mindset.

Was thinking the other day about the players we’d like to have 2 of. Bonti and naughton for sure, but Richards was the next one that came to mind for me. I’d love one like him in all 3 parts of the ground.
241 metres gained from only 12 touches is pretty impressive. That's 20m per touch, on average, and that's only from 6 kicks.

Agreed. Of course he wasn't among our best players because it's impossible to do that as a midfielder with only 12 touches, but at least 10 of them were pure gold in how they helped us getting the ball moving forward.

Brilliant. Can you please tell me where you can access these? I used to love them but went off due to AFL restrictions. You can PM me, but please let me know.

Also, anywhere I can watch the replay. I don't have fox. o_O

Al has a you tube channel:. Al's Highlights. Fair warning, he's got quite a few Octocalls. You'll want to keep watching them over and over and next thing you know an hour has gone by!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back