Autopsy Rd 1, 2021. Blues fight hard but fade late

Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well played, but commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - I didn't post these last season, so if you've never seen them before, these are how often each of your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 30 Bounces

Cripps 24
L'OB 23 wing
Walsh 21
E.Curnow 21
Setterfield 20 (14w, 6i)
Newnes 18 wing
Dow 11
Fisher 8 (1w)
Gibbons 1 wing
Murphy 1 wing

Unknown 2 wing

Rucks:
Pittonet 26
Casboult 4

Centre Clearances (10-19)

Walsh 3
Cripps 2
E.Curnow 1
Gibbons 1
Saad 1
Casboult 1
Fisher 1

By Quarter - Q1

Setterfield 7 (5w, 2i)
Cripps 6
E.Curnow 6
Walsh 5
Newnes 5 wing
LOB 3 wing
Dow 2
Fisher 1 wing

Q2

LOB 8 wing
Cripps 7
Walsh 7
E.Curnow 7
Setterfield 5 (4w, 1i)
Newnes 5 wing
Dow 4
Fisher 1
Gibbons 1 wing

Q3

Walsh 5
Setterfield 5 (3w, 2i)
LOB 4 wing
Cripps 3
Dow 3
E.Curnow 2
Newnes 2 wing
Murphy 1 wing

Q4

Cripps 8
LOB 8 wing
E.Curnow 6
Newnes 6 wing
Fisher 6
Walsh 4
Setterfield 3 (2w, 1i)
Dow 2

Unknown 2 wing - Suspect these were Murphy but I'm not 100% as they were stationed off-screen

Some improvements, some things have started the same like our poor kicking for goal. New players were good.
Couldn't buy a centre clearance in the last, and some diabolical defending in the last 5-10 minutes broke our back. Don't think they should be too unhappy with the performance though, this is the reigning premiers after all.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - these are how often each of your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Cripps 24
L'OB 23 wing
Walsh 21
E.Curnow 21
Setterfield 20 (14w, 6i)
Newnes 18 wing
Dow 11
Fisher 8 (1w)
Gibbons 1 wing
Murphy 1 wing

Unknown 2 wing

Rucks:[/u]
Pittonet 26
Casboult 4

Walsh 3
Cripps 2
E.Curnow 1
Gibbons 1
Saad 1
Casboult 1
Fisher 1

By Quarter - Q1

Setterfield 7 (5w, 2i)
Cripps 6
E.Curnow 6
Walsh 5
Newnes 5 wing
LOB 3 wing
Dow 2
Fisher 1 wing

Q2

LOB 8 wing
Cripps 7
Walsh 7
E.Curnow 7
Setterfield 5 (4w, 1i)
Newnes 5 wing
Dow 4
Fisher 1
Gibbons 1 wing

Q3

Walsh 5
Setterfield 5 (3w, 2i)
LOB 4 wing
Cripps 3
Dow 3
E.Curnow 2
Newnes 2 wing
Murphy 1 wing

Q4

Cripps 8
LOB 8 wing
E.Curnow 6
Newnes 6 wing
Fisher 6
Walsh 4
Setterfield 3 (2w, 1i)
Dow 2

Unknown 2 wing - Suspect these were Murphy but I'm not 100% as they were stationed off-screen

Love your work Billy

I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone else mentioned what an ear bleed Jobe was.
Special comments takes on a whole new meaning when Jobe's in the box.
Why does he get a job?????
Surely there are more insightful ex players with a better grasp of the English language to do the job.
He is a confirmed drug cheat and a piss poor commentator.
Thought he was shown up in contrast to Hodge.

1st 20mins
Carlton 10.7.67
Richmond 6.9.45

Time on
Carlton 1.7.13
Richmond 9.6.60
Good teams put a score on in red time.

The All Black’s at their peak (for mine... Henry coached, McCaw led, Carter steering) a certainty to score a try or more in the last 5 minutes of each half.

It’s a combination of the system, the cattle, the fitness, the belief/confidence to find a bit extra and make something of those extra fleeting opportunities that arise when physical and mental fatigue is at its peak.

That being said, that era AB’s were freaks.... their average ‘points per minute’ actually went up when they were a man down due to a card, they would somehow take that adversity and use it to turn everything up a notch. Crazy.

I’d love us to hit that stage were we punish teams at the death. Foot on the throat, ruthless, really stack on the junk time, percentage boosting scores.

We haven’t witnessed too many thrashings of late, the bulldogs 50+ game comes to mind, but I’d be hoping we get to see a couple this year. Be unsociable, be merciless, go for the kill.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - I didn't post these last season, so if you've never seen them before, these are how often each of your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wing) at bounces.

Cripps 24
L'OB 23 wing
Walsh 21
E.Curnow 21
Setterfield 20 (14w, 6i)
Newnes 18 wing
Dow 11
Fisher 8 (1w)
Gibbons 1 wing
Murphy 1 wing

Unknown 2 wing

Rucks:
Pittonet 26
Casboult 4

Walsh 3
Cripps 2
E.Curnow 1
Gibbons 1
Saad 1
Casboult 1
Fisher 1

By Quarter - Q1

Setterfield 7 (5w, 2i)
Cripps 6
E.Curnow 6
Walsh 5
Newnes 5 wing
LOB 3 wing
Dow 2
Fisher 1 wing

Q2

LOB 8 wing
Cripps 7
Walsh 7
E.Curnow 7
Setterfield 5 (4w, 1i)
Newnes 5 wing
Dow 4
Fisher 1
Gibbons 1 wing

Q3

Walsh 5
Setterfield 5 (3w, 2i)
LOB 4 wing
Cripps 3
Dow 3
E.Curnow 2
Newnes 2 wing
Murphy 1 wing

Q4

Cripps 8
LOB 8 wing
E.Curnow 6
Newnes 6 wing
Fisher 6
Walsh 4
Setterfield 3 (2w, 1i)
Dow 2

Top work mate
Dow only in for 11.... I hope he gets more of a go next week

I am secretly looking forward to Marc Murphys retirement

I think he is too conditional and offers nothing defensively

Despite his class he likes it too easy.

Would we be better off with a lower skilled but fit, strong, hungry and aggressive Cotrell?

He’s being carried to a personal milestone for the best part of this season.
Can’t think of another small forward who has virtually been given a pass from exerting any form of defensive pressure.
That is double standards in any language.
We haven’t been taken seriously by the competition for years.
I wonder why ...

Other than the obvious observations, some thoughts after rewatching:

- Didn't notice as much live but Newnes had a massive second half and would have been our best. Was everywhere and a big reason we stayed with them.

- Fogarty another who had an excellent second half. Impactful player and can see him fast becoming a favourite.

- Setterfield was crucial to us getting on top in the third. Not necessarily dominant but worked hard to create an option and important to our transitions. Disagree that he should play more inside, given the lack of options that can play outside as successfully.

- After a poor game against Saints and quiet first half, Williamson worked into the game and showed some better form to build on.

- Watching live I thought McDonald was perhaps more fortunate than dominant but he played really well and deserves to remain.

- love SPS but there were several occasions of him pulling a short step. Can't ignore it to that frequency.

- My initial thoughts about Dow's game were only reinforced, and think he has to go back to reserves and improve his workrate and intensity before getting a run of games.

Can’t think of another small forward who has virtually been given a pass from exerting any form of defensive pressure.
I wonder why ...

Thought his shoulders were all mashed up? Hence the hesitation to not tackle etc, seems very unlikely he's just lazy and doesn't want to exert any defensive pressure, I recall someone on here saying he hasn't been the same after an injury back in early 2010's if I'm not mistaken.

Murphy stays in though, leader in forward line and he's still very good at doing those kicks into F50 and setting up score involvements, I agree it should be his last season and I would be surprised if he was on the list next year.

It's the same with Betts really, its up to the up and coming players to get rid of him, all well and go potting them, but they're all still kids, its up to them to get rid of Betts + Murphy.

Murphy's inability to tackle has nothing to do with us not being taken seriously, endless stupidity of drafting from Rogers + Hughes is to thank for that, which placed us in that horrible position back in 2015 and the complete rebuild and here we are 6 years later.

We only have ourselves to blame and that's the worst part about it, HOPEFULLY this is the year that starts to end.

It’s been part of their DNA for 5 years. I don’t understand how people have only just noticed this.
It’s illegal and bordering on ‘unsportsmanlike’ by acting after the fact and behind the play.
yep, just like the Hawks did in the hodge years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones got screwed with the rushed behind call. Nankervis at the other end was far more intentional and not called.

Poor Liam looked utterly spent by the end of the game. Could barely keep his feet. Either he had a corky or Riewoldt runs harder than I think.

That was deliberate all day long and twice on Sundays.
You could just see it unfolding in slow motion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's almost like they've played in more high pressure games with more on the line than us I recent years.

very few can consistently put a smile on my dial as often as you katman - thanks for your work. :thumbsu:

Meanwhile poor Oscar feeling like the third wheel.

View attachment 1081656

Teague said in presser didn't know if he'd play hence the no jumper, deserves one, 10000%.

Honestly thought he would be average at best, goes out and immediately makes an impact, good god was I a silly campaigner.

Thank the footy gods no Moore.

Look forward to seeing him play and get amongst the group. :thumbsu:

I wonder why ...

Many here want Marc to reach a game high milestone. Nice, good for him and them.
The sooner the team is picked on players that can do the 1%ers, (Non negotiable) the better the team will be.
No sentiment for Personal Milestones in a team game.
Marc wont help win us a flag the way he is playing.

Not with you re Jones getting screwed re the rushed call - I watched it live and it absolutely looked like a clumsy attempt to pretend to fumble. And yes, he was exhausted after the game. Not only chasing Riewoldt, but helping out his team-mates all night. They were seriously under the pump and Liam does try to assist at all times.
Nar I was in the cheersquad - he was running back at full tilt try to get control of the ball.

Back