Autopsy Rd 1, 2021. Blues fight hard but fade late

Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With the amount of forward 50 entries the Tigers had, I thought Weits and Plow did amazing jobs to contain their opponents

Walsh was our best mid, but all our mids, including Walsh were poor with defensive running. Would also like to see him hit the scoreboard more on a consistent basis, which I am sure will come

Backs as a sub team were exceptional
Walsh was BOG for us by a mile.
I dont vote in the poll anyway because I genrally disagree with common views - and not enough players in the team play consistent 4 quarters anyway.

Against Richmond

Defenders who excelled were Weitering - it was when he was off that Jones allowed both Riewoldt and Martin to score - Plow, and then Saad followed by SPS and unfortunately Docherty undid a lot of great work - when game was there to be won - his final 10 minute efforts were seriously poor and cost the game.

Midfield Cripps was unstoppable for first half and Walsh was the key driver for 4 quarters. Pittonet got pantsed. Dow was ver meh. LoB was okish till he absolutely fluffed it at the wrong time in the game...Setterfield was VFL as a wingman...Newnes played really well.

Forwards- Levi was great till his knee gave in. Harry didnt have any run in his game. Fisher wa the pick of them all by a long way..

TLDR- divide the poitns up into backs/mids/forwards.

Sam Walsh & Jacob Weitering were both superb , very impressive display from both young players, our top picks are shining bright.
Go Baggers

Interesting footage from Cornes on AFL site, Dusty allowed to be run free and no one putting body contact or pressure on him. Blamed Teague for not having a plan for best player in the league (or we failed to execute our plan).

I did yell at the TV once whose on Dusty!

Interesting footage from Cornes on AFL site, Dusty allowed to be run free and no one putting body contact or pressure on him. Blamed Teague for not having a plan for best player in the league (or we failed to execute our plan).

I did yell at the TV once whose on Dusty!

That did surprise me, while he is near unstoppable, for some reason, most sides won't even try

Umpires are human beings - and they dont like being made fools of. So if players start practising 'gaming' and it gets pointed out in video replays - it will be punished over time with boy who cried wolf ignoring. Going in hard and fair is the best way to get umpire positive attention and responses. Harry is his own worst enemy - he is far too stationary as a KPF - allows himself to get sandwiched between defenders pretty much every contest - better if he learns to be constantly moving around into clear space like Budddy does- running in clear space and getting arms choppped is an easier and fairer free kick for umps to hand out - than complaiong about being chopped or mangled surrounded by opposition - lazy players dont get workers compensation relief from umps too often.
Why hasn’t anyone properly taught Harry leading patterns (at AFL level) man I cooked my quads at training and trying to work out how I can get up for Tuesday night.
Anyways, can fev or sticks or someone just teach him ? 😬

That did surprise me, while he is near unstoppable, for some reason, most sides won't even try
Does that come down to mentality of the quality is. In my opinion give the great player even more confidence. If an opposition player is under a lot of pressure during player and sees a blue ju
Per next to a Richmond player, they may not even know it’s dusty hence a win. Don’t know just a thought.

In the end we lost a game of football by 4 goals, one of the bigger losing margins of the opening round. That is reality.

History does not rate the ‘quality’ of losses.

Not good enough.
Against the reigning premiers, with all the talk of them being potentially one of the best teams of the AFL era. And we lost by about 1 point more than what the bookies had the line at, so hardly a blowout or unexpected amount.

Only couple of points less than Freo went down to the Demons by.

Dogs should have put more on the pies.

Crows probably expected to be a 6+ goal loss, so that’s easily a 8+ goal swing against the Cats.

Similarly swans lions was probably a 10+ goal swing the other way.

North are already 40 down at half time after a good first quarter with it looking like it will get ugly over the 2nd half.

I’m not happy with the loss but it’s hardly like we put up a performance like we did against the Crows or Hawks last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clear to me now if we don't train successfully to stop or at least minimize run-on blocks of goals, we are mid-level for a while yet.

I was actually impressed by how many 'quick replies' we managed on thurs night...

Umpires are human beings - and they dont like being made fools of. So if players start practising 'gaming' and it gets pointed out in video replays - it will be punished over time with boy who cried wolf ignoring. Going in hard and fair is the best way to get umpire positive attention and responses. Harry is his own worst enemy - he is far too stationary as a KPF - allows himself to get sandwiched between defenders pretty much every contest - better if he learns to be constantly moving around into clear space like Budddy does- running in clear space and getting arms choppped is an easier and fairer free kick for umps to hand out - than complaiong about being chopped or mangled surrounded by opposition - lazy players dont get workers compensation relief from umps too often.
Not sure if that's true in practise. Jack Reiwoldt regularly get frees that aren't there by flailing his head like a stuck fish. There's also Selwood getting the head high frees.

Season is long and you can't maintain the same level for the entire season. This might be a planned to ensure we finish stronger

The numbers from Thursday as team total differentials

KMS -1.1
Sprints -51
Repeat sprint +3

Fitness/endurance seems fine, sprints not so much, which indicates what we already know, we need more consistency in contributions of work rate
Wow, thanks Arrow. Where can I find these stats?

Not sure if that's true in practise. Jack Reiwoldt regularly get frees that aren't there by flailing his head like a stuck fish. There's also Selwood getting the head high frees.

Murphy stopped getting frees when it became obvious he was a flopper- remember? Cripps has started getting frees ( again) now that he has stopped appealing for them...

Quite chuffed at the moment
This match was like watching a grand final, how was the intensity
Our game plan is sound outstanding, man have we changed it up!
Becoming a heavyweight is now in our grasp
GO BLUES

it's one of those sayings that no longer serves anyone looking to support equality and inclusion - the underlying premise being he is something less because he plays like a woman - if you wanna bag a bloke's performance, women shouldn't have to be the butt of the joke - great white hope is another old idiom that doesn't bear close scrutiny..........there are heaps that have reached their expiry date if we are serious about equality..........

I agree with your overall sentiment, but not in the case of that particular saying.

Tarzan and Jane are specific characters. One a very strong man, the other a very weak woman. Both almost to the point of absurdity.

But not all men are strong, and not all women are weak. Especially at the levels portrayed by those characters.

I understand that you take it as, "he looks like a man, but plays like a woman", but I don't think everyone does. I think a lot of people take it as, "he looks like an absurdly strong man, but plays like an absurdly weak woman". Those are two very different meanings.

I look at "suck it up princess" the same way. It's not derogatory towards women to suggest that someone should stop acting like a stereotypical spoilt princess (or Hilton/Jenner type in the 21st century, I guess), because clearly not all women act like that. It's too specific to be sexist. My auntie actually uses this saying all the time, for both men and women. I wouldn't dare tell her to stop using it, because she'd probably hit me.

A lot of people don't like "man up", either. Which I can understand, because it implies that all men are supposed to be tough, whereas women aren't. That is sexist.

"Stop acting like a girl" is another sexist one. It's more or less the inverse of the above.

Those two can definitely go, but leave Tarzan and Jane alone, I reckon.

Back