Autopsy Rd 1, 2021. Blues fight hard but fade late

Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fair enough.

Perhaps with Jack, it's that he appeals everytime. So when he gets one, he has appealed. Correlation, not causation.

He milks every single play for all its worth always with the mouthy mouth and exagerarted facial experssions - in another life he would be the fat lady singing on stage and never quite dying....

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Adam Saad...one hell of a Blue's debut. And they say he can't defend one on one... The number of times he won the contested ball and provided clean disposal out of congestion was beautiful. The sheer effort he exerted in using his speed to run down players was phenomenal - he personally affected a handful of Tiger scoring opportunities due to his pressure and tackling. Can't wait to see more next week!

Hunter 9

Debutant
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I only got to listen on the radio, congratulations to our 3000 supporters they made good noise. We needed to shut down on Short and Dusty in the second half and things may have been different. It also sounded like the Tigers were allowed to stroll out of the middle in the last quarter. We competed with the best, now its time to turn the corner and start winning.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s not our top picks that are the problem.
Agreed there are other problems, continuous long term injuries to important players, unacceptably slow development of some of our early picked youngsters and others , let’s hope Williams is joined by Martin and Betts next week, and that Kennedy, Stocker get a look in soon, form permitting. Things will turn around quickly.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I only got to listen on the radio, congratulations to our 3000 supporters they made good noise. We needed to shut down on Short and Dusty in the second half and things may have been different. It also sounded like the Tigers were allowed to stroll out of the middle in the last quarter. We competed with the best, now its time to turn the corner and start winning.
Interesting how critical Kano has been of Carlton for not having a plan for Dusty. As the great Mike Tyson used to say "Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face". Having the plan is the easy part. Making it work is the hard part.

That said I was surprised Plowman wasn't closer to Dusty more often in the last. Normally we see Ed take him in the middle and then hand over to Plow. Guess that plan is easier said than done as.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting footage from Cornes on AFL site, Dusty allowed to be run free and no one putting body contact or pressure on him. Blamed Teague for not having a plan for best player in the league (or we failed to execute our plan).

I did yell at the TV once whose on Dusty!
That did surprise me, while he is near unstoppable, for some reason, most sides won't even try

Yeah honestly it seems like that tactic of niggling and tagging the opposition stars has gone out of the game pretty much. Teague doesn't even seem to use Ed in that role anymore where we used to see him all up in the oppositions best midfielder's face.

I think there's still a place for it. Richmond and Dusty are such a rampant side at the moment, you need to do something to try to throw them off their game. Might not be easy to play tough guy against clearly the best team of the last 4 years and Dusty himself has some mongrel and is strong but it's worth a shot...just keep bumping into him, blocking him etc and see if it puts him off.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah honestly it seems like that tactic of niggling and tagging the opposition stars has gone out of the game pretty much. Teague doesn't even seem to use Ed in that role anymore where we used to see him all up in the oppositions best midfielder's face.

I think there's still a place for it. Richmond and Dusty are such a rampant side at the moment, you need to do something to try to throw them off their game. Might not be easy to play tough guy against clearly the best team of the last 4 years and Dusty himself has some mongrel and is strong but it's worth a shot...just keep bumping into him, blocking him etc and see if it puts him off.
Maybe set aside a precise number of interchange to deal with good players. Their one job each interchange is curtail player x’s influence. If the good player average x influence of games, then it may be better to have your own guys (maybe 3) to just tag him when they are on the ground.
you give a little bit the opposition game changer has less impact so might be a win win.
who knows, dusty gives me the shits.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Adam Saad...one hell of a Blue's debut. And they say he can't defend one on one... The number of times he won the contested ball and provided clean disposal out of congestion was beautiful. The sheer effort he exerted in using his speed to run down players was phenomenal - he personally affected a handful of Tiger scoring opportunities due to his pressure and tackling. Can't wait to see more next week!

Ha I remember over the last few years Saad has been praised for his offensive and defensive capabilities.

It was only after he nominated us and Essendon leaked this whole bs news piece about him not wanting to defend and do team things to make him look bad that some people got fooled into thinking Saad doesn't defend.

Losing Saad was a disaster for Essendon and they used PR to spin the situation to try to make it look like it wasn't, which was a dog act. Ruining Saad's reputation to try to save their own.

CarltonBlooz

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Ha I remember over the last few years Saad has been praised for his offensive and defensive capabilities.

It was only after he nominated us and Essendon leaked this whole bs news piece about him not wanting to defend and do team things to make him look bad that some people got fooled into thinking Saad doesn't defend.

Losing Saad was a disaster for Essendon and they used PR to spin the situation to try to make it look like it wasn't, which was a dog act. Ruining Saad's reputation to try to save their own.

Yep, always happens. Club A likes to control the narrative to make club B look bad.

Leak claim to media buddies that Club B has offered $900,000+ when in reality that's not true at all, if the trade does go through player A is just a mercenary blah blah, but if it doesn't player A was offered $900,000+ but didn't accept he's a quality club man.

Saad sure didn't like to defend on Thursday night. ;)

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Essington's feeble and misguided attempt at damage control. The best bit was in the lead up to trade week suggesting that it wasn't a fait accompli that he was leaving and that he'd be welcomed back and they'd match our offer. As if he'd even f****** consider it after the club from coach to president had talked s*** about him in the press?!

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Essington's feeble and misguided attempt at damage control. The best bit was in the lead up to trade week suggesting that it wasn't a fait accompli that he was leaving and that he'd be welcomed back and they'd match our offer. As if he'd even f****** consider it after the club from coach to president had talked s*** about him in the press?!

I know, which made it so transparent that what the leaked about him was BS...if he was so selfish etc why would they try so hard to keep him??

Sadly, there's still a bunch of people out there who believe it so to an extent their PR attempt worked. I've seen quite a few comments on Facebook from people joking about Saad not defending and his man kicking bags of goals. Just your uneducated footy fan but there's many of them, and Essendon fans who try to delude themselves to numb the pain.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I know, which made it so transparent that what the leaked about him was BS...if he was so selfish etc why would they try so hard to keep him??

Sadly, there's still a bunch of people out there who believe it so to an extent their PR attempt worked. I've seen quite a few comments on Facebook from people joking about Saad not defending and his man kicking bags of goals. Just your uneducated footy fan but there's many of them, and Essendon fans who try to delude themselves to numb the pain.
it was all about appeasing the members, giving them something to believe in, shifting focus away from the club as the three players wanted out.

49 disp, 6 goals 6, 10 marks, 6 tackles, 996 metres. That was their output this week at new clubs. I'm not even going to try and work out when all three were last on the park together.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting how critical Kano has been of Carlton for not having a plan for Dusty. As the great Mike Tyson used to say "Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face". Having the plan is the easy part. Making it work is the hard part.

That said I was surprised Plowman wasn't closer to Dusty more often in the last. Normally we see Ed take him in the middle and then hand over to Plow. Guess that plan is easier said than done as.
In those clips you see Dow drop off him, and then also see Dusty in space behind/next to Saad twice. This would have been the plan for the Tigers. Run through Dow, Murphy, Cripps and Saads areas in the zone. Knowing those players couldn't/wouldn't go with him/them.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe set aside a precise number of interchange to deal with good players. Their one job each interchange is curtail player x’s influence. If the good player average x influence of games, then it may be better to have your own guys (maybe 3) to just tag him when they are on the ground.
you give a little bit the opposition game changer has less impact so might be a win win.
who knows, dusty gives me the shits.
Hope this helps.

imodium-advanced-product-image.jpeg

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Coaches’ Votes
10 - Dustin Martin (RICH)
7 - Jack Graham (RICH)
6 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)