• Poll closed .
Coaches’ Votes
10 - Dustin Martin (RICH)
7 - Jack Graham (RICH)
6 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)
5 - Jack Riewoldt (RICH)
1 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
1 - Kane Lambert (RICH)

Walsh has gone past Cripps, because he is more versatile. It won't be the last time Washy ranks higher than Crippa.

EDIT: Unless of course if Cripps learns to convert set shots whilst resting forward ....

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
In the end we lost a game of football by 4 goals, one of the bigger losing margins of the opening round. That is reality.

History does not rate the ‘quality’ of losses.

Not good enough.
Shows how close the opening round was if 4 goals was one of the bigger margins

Apr 7, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
In the end we lost a game of football by 4 goals, one of the bigger losing margins of the opening round. That is reality.

History does not rate the ‘quality’ of losses.

Not good enough.

Losing Jack early was a blow. Martin and Williams back in this week will make a big difference. Marchbank almost ready gives us options we don't have right now. Gov and Philp almost ready. Cunningham should have played. Eddie probably back this week.

Then it's just Dekoning, Charlie and Newman.

Will Jack Carrol push his way into the team? He's been in the best couple both 2nds games so far.

How many would Harry kick if Charlie was taking the best defender?

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Walsh has gone past Cripps, because he is more versatile. It won't be the last time Washy ranks higher than Crippa.

EDIT: Unless of course if Cripps learns to convert set shots whilst resting forward ....

Cripps just needs to focus on his strengths and what he does best. ******* barrel into campaigners all day and feed your better users. He's no Bont or Dusty.

Cripps just needs to focus on his strengths and what he does best. ******* barrel into campaigners all day and feed your better users. He's no Bont or Dusty.

That is why I have said Walsh has gone past him ... as a player. Wash has a few ONE woods ....

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Losing Jack early was a blow. Martin and Williams back in this week will make a big difference. Marchbank almost ready gives us options we don't have right now. Gov and Philp almost ready. Cunningham should have played. Eddie probably back this week.

Then it's just Dekoning, Charlie and Newman.

Will Jack Carrol push his way into the team? He's been in the best couple both 2nds games so far.

How many would Harry kick if Charlie was taking the best defender?
Carrol might be a little way off by the sounds of the reports. Features well, gets in the bests, but the comments seem to often be that he’s still learning (struggling with) structures and that sort of stuff.

it’s alright, he’ll get it down eventually and get a shot. He’s still crazy young and by the looks of the highlights ‘can football’.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Screenshot_20210322-210650.jpeg

Apr 7, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Carrol might be a little way off by the sounds of the reports. Features well, gets in the bests, but the comments seem to often be that he’s still learning (struggling with) structures and that sort of stuff.

it’s alright, he’ll get it down eventually and get a shot. He’s still crazy young and by the looks of the highlights ‘can football’.

In years gone by he'd be playing AFL already. Great that we are able to develop the youngsters off-broadway.... having said that - if he keeps getting in the best every week he will get games. Very quick and already a pretty big unit for his age. We'll see. Sometimes the "can football" factor overcomes all obstacles.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

Is Cripps one dimensional?
if he knew how to kick straight he would be worthwhile taking tests forward
But he is an average mark die to his height and his kick is ...
Ummmm...
How does I say this ?

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Is Cripps one dimensional?
if he knew how to kick straight he would be worthwhile taking tests forward
But he is an average mark die to his height and his kick is ...
Ummmm...
How does I say this ?
Say it straight -- he struggles to get off the ground marking against big backs and only good if he drift forward to create a mismatch and his kicking for goal reminds me of Rod Carter ..

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I'm actually a little concerned about Cripps under with the limited rotations and the 'stand' mark rule opening the 45. It's one thing to be a clearance/stoppage monster when you can go off for a rest, it's quite another to be slow when everything's a fast break down the other end.

If he doesn't become a hybrid KPF/inside mid, his lack of pace and - frankly, even though he's improved it to no end - lack of natural endurance will place a bit of a ceiling over how good he'll be. The new status quo favours endurance and speed as midfielder traits, not power and size, and while you don't get shorter as the game progresses that's a much more useful aphorism when you're taking marks in front of goal than it is running towards defensive 50 to negate a fast break.

Just as the new status quo will suit Walsh to no end, it doesn't Cripps.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm actually a little concerned about Cripps under with the limited rotations and the 'stand' mark rule opening the 45. It's one thing to be a clearance/stoppage monster when you can go off for a rest, it's quite another to be slow when everything's a fast break down the other end.

If he doesn't become a hybrid KPF/inside mid, his lack of pace and - frankly, even though he's improved it to no end - lack of natural endurance will place a bit of a ceiling over how good he'll be. The new status quo favours endurance and speed as midfielder traits, not power and size, and while you don't get shorter as the game progresses that's a much more useful aphorism when you're taking marks in front of goal than it is running towards defensive 50 to negate a fast break.

Don't keep him on the park for 91% TOG like last week. Only Jones was on for longer, Doc the same while McKay & Weitering were on for 1% less. Walsh, much more suited to the general play type like you said, was only on for 82%.

I think we need to manage him better. Let him have bigger rests on the bench to stay fresher and then come on for a big period of impact. Cripps spent some time 'resting' forward, but I'd much rather him spend some longer intervals on the bench to refresh and 'preserve' him for the whole game, particularly the last 10 mins.

I'd rather see us take an approach that more resembles Natainui than the typical Dusty/Danger/Fyfe/etc 'split mid/fwd time'. Obviously not as extreme as Naitanui (~65%), but I'd prefer Cripps down at ~80% with a couple of short stints drifting forward from the middle (not starting as a forward to 'rest'), and let him come on fresh and really impact the game.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh our best player for mine . He’s just building beautifully and courageous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's his mental strength for mine. Never seen anything phase the kid - not a single sulk about a bad decision, never a head drop no matter how bas the loss, never looked like buckling to bad form or the pressure of being a #1 pick.

Will make a brilliant Premiership captain.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
You have Williams, Curnow and Martin out. All above a B+ standard at their best with Curnow having huge upside. We were pretty much at full strength minus Houli and Cotch who are managed throughout the season regardless. I wouldn't be turning off just yet.

I think we need to stop referring to Curnow like he's the silver bullet. He's a glass cannon. He'll star in 3 of the 5 games he plays per season, but then trip over a chip packet that blew onto the ground and be out for the rest of the season.
He's so far off AFL fitness and at the same time so brittle, he may never get the uninterrupted game time required to get him back ready for the big time.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I think we need to stop referring to Curnow like he's the silver bullet. He's a glass cannon. He'll star in 3 of the 5 games he plays per season, but then trip over a chip packet that blew onto the ground and be out for the rest of the season.
He's so far off AFL fitness and at the same time so brittle, he may never get the uninterrupted game time required to get him back ready for the big time.
Replace Curnow with Marchbank and the statement still rings true. Sad.

Charlie is different to Machbank though- Charlie has had a specifically nasty recurrence of the same problem due in part ( apparently) to the wrong surgical approach implemented in the first place. I'm optimistic about his potential to elevate the forward line - unlike Levi and Harry, Charlie actually has a footie brain.
Marchbank has suffered different injuries - ever since he copped a fractured neck - I suspect the same issues he has faced are also hampering McGovern's ability to get really fit - similar neck injury. From all accounts- Kemp ( the forgotten draftee) has Teague the most excited.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

Walsh for his first bnf this year that’s my bet.

Back