Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CsBlue

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Dow gets an easy pass just because he’s a number 3 pick. Clanger machine, no composure, no defensive pressure. Never understood the hype.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Charlie is different to Machbank though- Charlie has had a specifically nasty recurrence of the same problem due in part ( apparently) to the wrong surgical approach implemented in the first place. I'm optimistic about his potential to elevate the forward line - unlike Levi and Harry, Charlie actually has a footie brain.
Marchbank has suffered different injuries - ever since he copped a fractured neck - I suspect the same issues he has faced are also hampering McGovern's ability to get really fit - similar neck injury. From all accounts- Kemp ( the forgotten draftee) has Teague the most excited.
Unless marchbank goes really well, which will be hard knowing how far he is coming back from I fear it’s curtains or trade.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I think we need to stop referring to Curnow like he's the silver bullet. He's a glass cannon. He'll star in 3 of the 5 games he plays per season, but then trip over a chip packet that blew onto the ground and be out for the rest of the season.
He's so far off AFL fitness and at the same time so brittle, he may never get the uninterrupted game time required to get him back ready for the big time.

Apart from this one problem with his knee though, is there really any signs that he is injury prone? By all reports, we have finally got the knee treated properly and it is coming good. Look at O'meara, it seemed like he was out forever and would never recover, but now he is enjoying playing pretty consistently since 2018

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Dow gets an easy pass just because he’s a number 3 pick. Clanger machine, no composure, no defensive pressure. Never understood the hype.

IMO lets see how he goes this year. This year will be the first year that he is physically ready,, but also not injured (touch wood) . if he stays injury free and still is struggling at the end of 2021, then the conversation has to start

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Unless marchbank goes really well, which will be hard knowing how far he is coming back from I fear it’s curtains or trade.
we have jones and Levi entering a period where they might start getting injured or start slowing. Marchbank , although not a direct replacement for either of them , does play tall. He could provide coverage , along with others such as Mitch, McDonald, Jack , Parks, Kennedy, Kemp, tdk

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Replace Curnow with Marchbank and the statement still rings true. Sad.
They should not be in anyone's assumptions / calculations period I would have thought. Once there is a solid half season of continuous games
at a minimum under their belt then maybe but in all reality can't see much out of either. Is really unfortunate but history isn't on there side.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
IMO lets see how he goes this year. This year will be the first year that he is physically ready,, but also not injured (touch wood) . if he stays injury free and still is struggling at the end of 2021, then the conversation has to start
Have a feeling stocker and Carrol will go past dow and O'Brien by mid year -- hopefully we stay fit and can starve them till later rounds-- the VFL vision looks good but they playing those zone rules so mids not much pressure at clearances ...

Probably because there wasn't any. Love people inventing hype they can never understand.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Does anyone have a theory on why we looked more spent than them although we had a longer preseason?
I don't get this notion of us having a longer pre-season to them. They played in a finals series while we didn't, and to me I look at it as them having 4 weeks more in proper game scenarios and training. Wouldn't that make them more prepared for rd 1 than us?

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Managed to re-watch the Richmond game last night, and wrote down a few comments.

The elephant in the room was clearly their astounding number of inside 50s. And while our defence held up very well, we need to identify where this problem stems from. We lost our centre clearances by almost double, 10 to 19. As soon as they got the ball out of the middle, straight to one of their forwards i50.

Why do I think this happens? Just a possibility, but it's our lack of contested ball and clearance players on-ball. Teague insists on playing Setters and even Ed on the wings. However, that leaves Cripps as our only big bodied bid at stoppages. No wonder we have lost the clearances by a decent margin two weeks in a row. If this is how we want things to work, then Kennedy or Stocker must come into this side.

The second biggest issue was our lack of fitness. I get it, playing against back-to-back premiers, with seasoned bodies, while this is our first real hit-out for the year. While I can count last week as an exception, our ball use when fatigued (or just fitness in general) needs to improve. Dow, Jones, Ed, Harry and Levi all had disposal efficiencies of around 60% or lower. Now that is shocking.

Apart from that, it felt like a genuine shootout right from the beginning, until the last half of the 4th quarter. I'm impressed with the boys considering we had lots of key outs (Williams, Martin, Betts, Charlie, TDK, Newman, Marchy), and it looked like our game plan is working well and starting to take shape.

Now for the changes, Martin and Williams for JSOS and LOB seem self explanatory and most likely will happen. Betts I think struggles to overtake one of our small forwards (possibly Murphy?), and Cunners hasn't shown good form yet in the reserves. However, one more change I would like to make - SPS for OMac. We need a 3rd tall up forward, especially with Levi obviously not fully over his sore knee.

But who covers for SPS' 7th spot on defence? I want to see Teague and the MC get experimental this week. Newnes was a star and played his best game for us last week mainly as a defensive winger/half back flanker. See heat map bellow...

Screenshot_20210320-074544_AFL.jpg

I would like to try a rotation between Newnes, Setters and Williams playing bursts across HB. See how it works for one game and if it's not good, let SPS come back in until Marchy/Newman are fit.

I'm very excited for the game tomorrow and it's my birthday too, so we better get the win!

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Managed to re-watch the Richmond game last night, and wrote down a few comments.

The elephant in the room was clearly their astounding number of inside 50s. And while our defence held up very well, we need to identify where this problem stems from. We lost our centre clearances by almost double, 10 to 19. As soon as they got the ball out of the middle, straight to one of their forwards i50.

Why do I think this happens? Just a possibility, but it's our lack of contested ball and clearance players on-ball. Teague insists on playing Setters and even Ed on the wings. However, that leaves Cripps as our only big bodied bid at stoppages. No wonder we have lost the clearances by a decent margin two weeks in a row. If this is how we want things to work, then Kennedy or Stocker must come into this side.

The second biggest issue was our lack of fitness. I get it, playing against back-to-back premiers, with seasoned bodies, while this is our first real hit-out for the year. While I can count last week as an exception, our ball use when fatigued (or just fitness in general) needs to improve. Dow, Jones, Ed, Harry and Levi all had disposal efficiencies of around 60% or lower. Now that is shocking.

Apart from that, it felt like a genuine shootout right from the beginning, until the last half of the 4th quarter. I'm impressed with the boys considering we had lots of key outs (Williams, Martin, Betts, Charlie, TDK, Newman, Marchy), and it looked like our game plan is working well and starting to take shape.

Now for the changes, Martin and Williams for JSOS and LOB seem self explanatory and most likely will happen. Betts I think struggles to overtake one of our small forwards (possibly Murphy?), and Cunners hasn't shown good form yet in the reserves. However, one more change I would like to make - SPS for OMac. We need a 3rd tall up forward, especially with Levi obviously not fully over his sore knee.

But who covers for SPS' 7th spot on defence? I want to see Teague and the MC get experimental this week. Newnes was a star and played his best game for us last week mainly as a defensive winger/half back flanker. See heat map bellow...

View attachment 1084572

I would like to try a rotation between Newnes, Setters and Williams playing bursts across HB. See how it works for one game and if it's not good, let SPS come back in until Marchy/Newman are fit.

I'm very excited for the game tomorrow and it's my birthday too, so we better get the win!
McDonald in for Levi, who doesn't look right.

Williams can resume his mid/fwd role like in the practice match, hopefully he can get himself a goal or two out of forward stoppages. Martin joins the rotation, playing some midfield when Williams is forward or off the ground. Ed can tag from the wing, Setters to get a better split of inside and outside rather than being a permanent winger.

Keep the back 7 as is, otherwise Newnes and Setterfield are both spending about half their games as defenders.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

View attachment 1084572

The only thing I’d put is that I feel Williams would be a waste at HB, he is speedy, strong and can kick a goal so I’d have him doing stings as offensive winger or forward flank ish

Collingwood supporter at work this morning enjoyed the game and is now very very worried about next week.
Update:
They are probably not buying tickets because they think we will smash them. Never seen this from this individual before. Normally very up and about and passionate about being there.

Edit: thought this was the Rnd 2 thread, got mixed up, my bad.

jimmyshell

Debutant
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Only at 34 pages here, so I thought I'd keep the thread ticking along.

Was at the game and just got a chance to watch the replay. Here's my two cents:

My goodness gracious the umpires must be so happy with the new stand on the mark rule. As if there was enough chances already for them to intrude on the game (incessantly calling players by their first names, always having to have a little bicker with players after their calls, etc), we now have to listen to them yell 'stand' 200 times a game.

Agree with the calls here that Richmond players are bullies (read: low dogs). Dion Prestia, especially, who whenever he tackled somebody, attempted to trip them by wrapping his leg around the opposition players legs (like when you're grappling with someone and try to trip them over). They definitely put some attention into Walsh as well, but like a true champ he powered through.

Commentators were woeful. I usually can tolerate BT, but I think that's only because he paired with Bruce quite well. Minutes into the first quarter, there were periods where Brayshaw and BT just sat their in silence. Jobe isn't up for the part, and while Hodge has good insight, I'm not a fan of his delivery. Also BT refers to Newnes as NOONS and it is incredibly frustrating.

Feel like this has turned out to be a little bit 'old man yells at cloud', so here's some comments on our players to finish.

Silvagni was huge early. Can't wait to see him at his best for long periods in the next few years. Harry certainly tested Teague blood pressure, but god he's dangerous. Whoever made the call for Cripps to get back to his fighting weight were on the money. Loved watching him decide to just run into opposition players and still get off the handball. Hope he doesn't get caught out doing it going forward though. SPS certainly gave a lot of ammo to the 'sick of these dinky 15 metre passes' posters on here too, but overall I'm a fan. Gibbons should play every game this year, brings something no other player on our list does.

Overall happy with what we showed, a lot to like, but a lot to polish. Bring on the Pies.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Quick write-up on a couple of players as requested by Arr0w:

Fogarty: did everything I want of our smaller mids/high half-forwards, just had some very basic turnovers very early on. His kicking action isn't super consistent, but I suspect that's in part a side-effect of the running work that he does.

Puts himself in dangerous spots, sometimes for himself, but doesn't hesitate or flinch in the slightest. Looking forward to see him work his way more into our setup because I think we've just picked up a promising hybrid of Murphy and Scotland.

Murphy: Elite read and vision are a massive hallmark of his game still. Isn't going to for super risky kicks at the moment and lacks a shade of explosiveness at times, which suggests he has ankle niggles still, and you could see the odd shank crept in for a body that's not currently at full fitness. Makes up for by making full use of any space afforded.

Not confident going in hard on some tackles for similar reasons (ie. can't plant his feet hard). If it's an ongoing issue after another 2-3 matches then it's going to be a problem given the pressure he needs to be applying either in midfield or as a forward. I'm confident he's blowing out the cobwebs, because he faded pretty hard in the last quarter (the whole half really).

I have Murphy and Fogarty ahead of Gibbons at present, and the only way I see that changing is if one of them gets bogged down with injury. Their game sense and timing is just way too good.

=========

I wasn't left with an impression that either made massive errors in decision making, merely in execution under pressure, with Murphy maybe holding back a bit physically in the name of continuity. My issue with Gibbons is he too often fails to identify when and where to put his body in given his physical dimensions... it's something he can work on, but progress has been slow.

Back