Autopsy Rd 1, 2021. Blues fight hard but fade late

Who played well for Carlton in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick write-up on a couple of players as requested by Arr0w:

Fogarty: did everything I want of our smaller mids/high half-forwards, just had some very basic turnovers very early on. His kicking action isn't super consistent, but I suspect that's in part a side-effect of the running work that he does.

Puts himself in dangerous spots, sometimes for himself, but doesn't hesitate or flinch in the slightest. Looking forward to see him work his way more into our setup because I think we've just picked up a promising hybrid of Murphy and Scotland.

Murphy: Elite read and vision are a massive hallmark of his game still. Isn't going to for super risky kicks at the moment and lacks a shade of explosiveness at times, which suggests he has ankle niggles still, and you could see the odd shank crept in for a body that's not currently at full fitness. Makes up for by making full use of any space afforded.

Not confident going in hard on some tackles for similar reasons (ie. can't plant his feet hard). If it's an ongoing issue after another 2-3 matches then it's going to be a problem given the pressure he needs to be applying either in midfield or as a forward. I'm confident he's blowing out the cobwebs, because he faded pretty hard in the last quarter (the whole half really).

I have Murphy and Fogarty ahead of Gibbons at present, and the only way I see that changing is if one of them gets bogged down with injury. Their game sense and timing is just way too good.

=========

I wasn't left with an impression that either made massive errors in decision making, merely in execution under pressure, with Murphy maybe holding back a bit physically in the name of continuity. My issue with Gibbons is he too often fails to identify when and where to put his body in given his physical dimensions... it's something he can work on, but progress has been slow.

Interesting how you have changed tact, from wanting to highlight Gibbons errors, in detail, to posting a summary on other players

I will start the ball rolling over the weekend after we beat the pies

Interesting how you have changed tact, from wanting to highlight Gibbons errors, in detail, to posting a summary on other players

I will start the ball rolling over the weekend after we beat the pies
Because I'm trying to highlight decision making errors, and the clips I saw showed them not making any, beyond Murphy not fully committing his body at full pace.

They were oozing athleticism, footy IQ and work rate, and Gibbons is missing on the footy IQ and a touch of athleticism. I can forgive the odd skill execution error when the player can sit down at a video review and justify what's being attempted.

Because I'm trying to highlight decision making errors, and the clips I saw showed them not making any, beyond Murphy not fully committing his body at full pace.

They were oozing athleticism, footy IQ and work rate, and Gibbons is missing on the footy IQ and a touch of athleticism. I can forgive the odd skill execution error when the player can sit down at a video review and justify what's being attempted.

Stop stressing Jim, enjoy the pies game, then I will detail each players errors like you did with Gibbons, bizarrely one where he worked harder than any of our small forwards to kick a goal

Stay cool Lacie, I was about 5m from him when it happened.
Appreciated the emotionally intelligent response, kudos. I was pissed off when I wrote that, so apologies.

But honestly, Jones has played footy for a long time and had even longer to try and keep the ball alive. He knew what he was doing imho, even if he was having an off night and was fatigued.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Love the Mods and leaders around here but with respect I'd ask for these feel good thread PMs to be fixed. We weren't good enough in the 4th - we were outplayed, whether it was fitness or structure or illness or injury.... Not sure. Fade late is a throwaway to me.

Love the Mods and leaders around here but with respect I'd ask for these feel good thread PMs to be fixed. We weren't good enough in the 4th - we were outplayed, whether it was fitness or structure or illness or injury.... Not sure. Fade late is a throwaway to me.

Not sure what you mean, PM’s?

Back