Autopsy Rd 1 2021 Review: Freo vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we will beat GWS, but FFS I want to see some flair.
Not Conca stop start, not Colyer ever, and not Acres soft as butter.
Chapman is a star, and the other young ones have flair

Mass injuries over the last ten years have crippled us in more ways than one. There’s no cohesion or chemistry, I think it makes the skills look twice as bad.

Cerra’s shank in front of goal and Cox’s awkward running bounce really disappointed me though. Everyone’s skills were bad and it went on for the whole game. It was the most flat I’ve felt after a game for a while. I could stomach the floggings in the past because obviously we had no one good on the list but we have some ‘quality players’ now who still make basic errors.

There’s something wrong at the club to be performing like that after changing literally everything - coach, assistant coaches, medical staff, training facility, 3/4 the playing list, ‘culture’ etc. Everyone on this board has completely different opinions on what it is that sucks and how to solve it. Just deflating stuff. I really have no idea where we go from here.

I think we can all understand now why Acres was tried in all sorts of various positions at the Saints.... And then unceremoniously offloaded as steak knives...

Yet when he was brought in it was seen as a great move because he was never played in a settled position.

Players like him and Colyer are exactly the same players they were at their old clubs. The list management decisions at the club are head scratching at times.

Mass injuries over the last ten years have crippled us in more ways than one. There’s no cohesion or chemistry, I think it makes the skills look twice as bad.

Cerra’s shank in front of goal and Cox’s awkward running bounce really disappointed me though. Everyone’s skills were bad and it went on for the whole game. It was the most flat I’ve felt after a game for a while. I could stomach the floggings in the past because obviously we had no one good on the list but we have some ‘quality players’ now who still make basic errors.

There’s something wrong at the club to be performing like that after changing literally everything - coach, assistant coaches, medical staff, training facility, 3/4 the playing list, ‘culture’ etc. Everyone on this board has completely different opinions on what it is that sucks and how to solve it. Just deflating stuff. I really have no idea where we go from here.
There was no excuse for Cerra's shank, that was one of the easiest shots you'll see. Saw it alot with Colyer and Henry too, how the * do you miss easy shots that are
1. Directly in front
2. Damn close to the goals

My kicking is god awful and I'd find a way to clear the big sticks.

Just watched most of the last quarter replay. We were 17 points down at 3/4 time but we had plenty of chances in the first 5 minutes of the last quarter to get the margin under 2 goals before Melbourne scored.

There's little windows where you have the chance to take the game away from the opposition, we just didn't give ourselves a sniff of victory.

Examples of inside 50's that could have been converted into goals in the first 5 minutes of the last quarter:

i) Fyfe had got himself some space in the pocket and Young placed his kick perfectly there only for Taberner to lead May into the area and the ball to end up out of bounds.
ii) 3 shots out on the full (2 Colyer, 1 Henry) 2 of them were difficult snaps on the left foot - but give M.Walters that amount of space and he would make that 6 points each time. The other one was Colyer using his pace to burst inside 50m and just no finishing prowess.
iii) Shultz reading the ball at the back of the pack but not holding on to a chest mark where he had to launch sideways
iv) Aish kicking a point from a rushed shot under pressure after receiving a return of possession from his kick inside 50m. The opportunity was made harder when Fyfe's kick across to Aish went slightly backwards so he couldn't attack and cross the forward 50m and take a shot, so he had to pass inside 50m with a kick that bounced half a metre in front of the lead up player.

Also there's examples we might complain about poor kicks inside 50m but sometimes the forwards have to contest. Again, these are from the first period of the last quarter when we had multiple inside 50's before Melbourne had scored.

v) Ball getting kicked deep to 2 on 2 and neither Acres or Taberner even fight to put their hands in the air to contest. Lever marks right beside them uncontested.
vi) Another where Cerra goes long to where Shultz appears to be the deepest player inside our forward 50m and on his own. The kick gives him a decent look, would likely land in his lap if there's no opposition but May reads it and holds onto a mark falling backwards. Good effort by May, but Shultz didn't adjust and contest when he was still in the box seat, he just waited for the crumbs.

Melbourne scored the next 2 goals which were both from defensive errors. On the second, Ryan was unlucky to get pinged holding the ball on the boundary when he was hardly impeded - it was a home crowd free kick.

McDonald also given a huge advantage with a big arc before the stationary man on the mark and pretty much sealed the game by taking the game out to a 4 goal margin. It was interesting to see Taberner's snap later on the boundard where he set up outside the boundary for the kick across the body and as soon as he took the step the umpire called play on.

By the end of the last quarter Melbourne had plenty of inside 50's which which went directly to our defenders and shot of goals that were muffed, so when the game was over I also felt we were fortunate not to get thumped by 6 - 7 goals.

I think we can all understand now why Acres was tried in all sorts of various positions at the Saints.... And then unceremoniously offloaded as steak knives...
Acres is like a girl that you are not interested in and they pay more attention to you. Then you get interested and then they pull away.

Then they get interested again and then pull away again.

Cycle keeps going until you give up totally.

Henry will be very lucky to get a game next week for me he was worst on ground and thats bad considering Blakely was playing who I thought did ok considering.
Henry is just not up to AFL speed and looked lacking in effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Acres go from playing great footy at the end of last year to going back to being the soft utensil he always has been?

How does Acres go from playing great footy at the end of last year to going back to being the soft utensil he always has been?
Needs to be called out on it, M Blight did it at The Crows.
Soft love isn’t getting us any closer to a flag.
Gaff was also supposedly soft, front runner so there is still time.

Acres always has that one game then he ll get tough. Not sure what the concern is with him. Who we going to replace him with? Valente? Please. Back Acres in. He wasn’t that bad.

JLo stuffed around with too many players’ positions and expected miracles. Pearce up forward, Watson god knows where, Ryan even looked confused with Hamling around. Acres forward against Lever? Awful. It was a poor coaching game. Just play players in their natural positions.
Cox forward. Darcy ahead of Watson.

Needs to be called out on it, M Blight did it at The Crows.
Soft love isn’t getting us any closer to a flag.
Gaff was also supposedly soft, front runner so there is still time.
Poor comparison. Gaff IS still soft. Just plays outside, which none of our players have. Acres is forced to play inside then outside.
Brad Hill is a perfect example. Absolute squib at the contest. Yet looks good with ball in hand.
Young should be playing that outside role and having the ball in his hands will maximise our efficiency.

When it’s your turn to go it’s your turn to go. There’s just no place in a team for players that you can’t trust to put in 100% of the time.

Every player will hear footsteps or shirk at some point, but there’s no place for repeat
offenders.

This. Watching all the games yesterday made our game look like it belonged in a state league
Scary Isn't it !?
We looked primed for bottom 4 but I really don't think we are that bad .

Last year was the first time for many years that we were able to bring ourselves back into the game , that's a good sign .
Our backs will be fine , putting Hamling and Pearce back in was an imbalance .
Trying Acres and Pearce as forwards didn't sound that crazy a week ago , we were clutching at straws . Treacy was the obvious choice but that plan went to s**t .

I didn't watch the whole game but what I saw of Young doesn't deserve the criticism, he's played like 2 AFL games and then had a year off .
He is the one that needs to be let off the leash at half back flank to start that quick ball movement.
The mids looked ok from what I saw , keeping in mind their average age . Again quicker ball out of centre would have made a big difference but maybe they weren't confident with what was in front of them . That bang , bang Brayshaw goal was a good sign .

Let's keep our heads up people , it's a wonderful World !

Acres always has that one game then he ll get tough. Not sure what the concern is with him. Who we going to replace him with? Valente? Please. Back Acres in. He wasn’t that bad.

JLo stuffed around with too many players’ positions and expected miracles. Pearce up forward, Watson god knows where, Ryan even looked confused with Hamling around. Acres forward against Lever? Awful. It was a poor coaching game. Just play players in their natural positions.
Cox forward. Darcy ahead of Watson.
I still think Acres can at least be a somewhat handy player on the wing, his last 4-5 games last year showed that, he needs to seriously toughen up though.

Acres is like a girl that you are not interested in and they pay more attention to you. Then you get interested and then they pull away.

Then they get interested again and then pull away again.

Cycle keeps going until you give up totally.
Great analogy .
can someone please tell me how to get him to play like he did against Richmond last year ? . Holy crap he was on fire .
But someone who isn't prepared to tackle and pressure has no place on my team .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back