Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Garlett must tackle. He does not tackle
After one game? After he did a shoulder in his previous game while laying a tackle? I’m not surprised that he was a little gun shy in this game.
Averaged 5 a game in 2016.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
J Caddy, I to thought he was the difference

You have to take your hat off to the tigers. They brought him over when Gold coast let him go (perhaps he wanted to come home) , and Geelong also let him go (perhaps to facilitate dangerfield) But he has been developed into a dangerous player.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry disagree on the Pies. I think they will be hard to beat. Its going to be an interesting year with Tiger as reigning premiers, Bombers are going to be a force, Pies to become hot again and the Blues making the 8
I'll give you one of the 4.

The point is, at 201cm it's no surprise that Casboult can win the ruck. He's the same height as Naitanui and taller than Kruezer, Jacobs, Nankervis, Ryder as well as many other rucks.

He also looks to have a huge leap.

All this factored in, I feel confident when he is in the ruck. The last two games he has looked more comfortable playing ruck than he has playing forward.
I've heard it all, Casboult has a huge leap and can win the ruck because he's 1cm taller.

This is even worse than your Matt Shaw for a second round pick suggestion.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Am On the wrong board? Is this the Carlton board?

The chicken-little ness around here is ridiculous.
Yep. I thought we played the reigning premiers & ran with them for 3 1/2 quarters, but after reading some of the posts in this thread, we must have been playing last year's wooden spooners & a number of our young players were found out by mediocre opposition.

If you read through the preview thread & saw how few people expected us to win & that there were some expecting us to be blown out of the water, you would have thought a 26 point loss against the reigning premier, in a game in which one player was out of action early in the 2nd quarter & our number 1 ruckman was lame after half time, was a reasonable outcome.

After almost 12 1/2 years on BF, I have come to expect that if we have a loss, the doomsayers are thick on the ground & if we have a win they are either conspicuous by their absence, or are making up negatives to suit an agenda.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
This very point was discussed on SEN this morning. Both Garry and Tim identified this, and thought this was a tough role for such a young player to do, and do well. And on the best defender in the AFL nonetheless.

BS Rance plays on about 3-4 players all at the same time. Pity he plays for the Tiges

Toddski

All Australian
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Says the opinionated guy that has/had concerns with Marchbank.

Really? You believe a comment I made raising concerns about Marchbank (which I admitted to being wrong) then precludes me from offering a genuine assessment of a player of great significance to our future success?

My apologies. We live in a sick world.

You're right, big slow talls with no aggression or resilience are becoming more and more important the way the game is being played at the moment. My bad. Small, defensive, tackling machines have been poor these first two game haven't they?

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Just hope Kennedy has not done his Achilles looks like it in the video
Hope Kruezer ain’t out for too long either .... both vital to the team going forward.

Just so pissed with injuries at 5he moment!

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll give you one of the 4.

I've heard it all, Casboult has a huge leap and can win the ruck because he's 1cm taller.

This is even worse than your Matt Shaw for a second round pick suggestion.

Matt Shaw in a trade scenario which involved about 15 different pick/player movements (after the club sounded him out as a target) using another clubs pick and you boil it down to 'matt Shaw for a second round pick' shows why your points should be taken with a grain of salt.

In your mind 'it's not surprising Casboult can win the ruck due to being 1cm taller' = he is winning the ruck because he is 1 cm taller. Shows where you're at. Keep up the good work :thumbsu:

Last edited:

DaddyPow

Draftee
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Goody Saints? No. No.
Don’t worry about Dappy Pow! He’s a good ole Pioneer boy, get a few more games under his belt and he’ll be taking Prisoners Of War (Pow) in no time!! Every game he plays in AFL he’ll learn something new. Keep him in.
How was the atmosphere DaddyPow?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know the G better than the back of your hand mate. Was a bloody ripper. Is it true you were the fastest man at your previous club?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

bleednavyblue

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2017
In a galaxy far far away......
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I've had a day or 2 to look at the loss and ive taken this away....

1) This side will trouble a lot of sides this year. Very happy we have taken a more attacking attitude and are willing to back ourselves and take risks. Sure we are going to occasionally turn it over as we arent as polished as the other sides but it will come, we have youth exuberance and for that i am quite excited to see where it all goes, as Bolts said the ceiling is off

2) A couple of players that caught my eye in a unfortunately negative way.....first was Weitering. Sure he has copped a fair bit of flack in the last day or two but what worried me was his overall body language, tell me if i am wrong but did he give anyone that impression that he wasnt interested? Casboult.....was in my opinion missing in action unless when moved into the ruck when Kruezer went down. he kicked the one goal that was needed but he just seems either lost or confused on what is required from him?

3) On to the positives......Thank God for Marchbank, what a ripping game. reads the play, helps out team mates in contests and just doesnt give up, reminds me of another great solid defender in Peter Dean, gets the job done. SPS........all i can say is he is pure smoothness.......like Barry White smooth.....clean and precise. A pleasure to watch. i put these two together Kade Simpson and Ed Curnow.......one word......warriors. But the standout is Cripps, what a bull, but only if he could kick a couple of goals per game would be the icing on the cake. I dont want to get caught up in the hype BUT Mr Charlie Curnow your going to be a star (now put the lid back on)

4) Keep The Faith.........Its Coming

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Fancy not facing the reality that a player who is slow and get's pushed out of the contest has extremely worrying deficencies.
There’s a difference between what you and others have been sprouting about how he’s rubbish and is flat out no good and saying that he’s got a flaws he needs to work on.
The talent is undeniable, he’s had games where he’s shown that aggression and desperation too. Yet after the first game of the year you’re writing him off. Only one game removed from the jlt where he dominated the Hawks. He may need time in the vfl but it’s completely moronic to write off a 20 year old on a one game sample size when if you factor in his 43 games + jlt we see a picture of a young key defender who has already shown a huge amount and is clearly looking at piecing all the different parts of his game together still. He’s going to lose 1 on 1 wrestles. He’s 20!!!

Mar 8, 2013
On my high horse
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Even though it's our official site i'm gonna go ahead and say that's wrong...Casboult taller than Kreuzer and only JUST shorter than McKay doesn't sound right.
When you watch the Carlton Only Highlights and you see Casboult kick a goal and Crippa congratulating, perhaps that'll give you an idea.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Even though it's our official site i'm gonna go ahead and say that's wrong...Casboult taller than Kreuzer and only JUST shorter than McKay doesn't sound right.

Yeah, that seems fishy to me too. I'm sure Levi was previously listed as 198cm.
So it's one of:
  1. Levi was originally measured incorrectly.
  2. Levi has grown a few cm in his mid 20s.
  3. They're now listing his height incorrectly.
  4. Levi used to have a bad slouch, but Sav has "straightened him up".

I would like to think that they are a basket case, but fear that they may have fought their way out

It’ll be interesting to see how they go tonight, but nothing I’ve seen indicates they’ve fought their way out at all.

Could easily be a 0-6 start to the year if they’re not careful.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Yep. I thought we played the reigning premiers & ran with them for 3 1/2 quarters, but after reading some of the posts in this thread, we must have been playing last year's wooden spooners & a number of our young players were found out by mediocre opposition.

If you read through the preview thread & saw how few people expected us to win & that there were some expecting us to be blown out of the water, you would have thought a 26 point loss against the reigning premier, in a game in which one player was out of action early in the 2nd quarter & our number 1 ruckman was lame after half time, was a reasonable outcome.

After almost 12 1/2 years on BF, I have come to expect that if we have a loss, the doomsayers are thick on the ground & if we have a win they are either conspicuous by their absence, or are making up negatives to suit an agenda.

Just like that, they are back for Rnd 1.

Rinse & repeat.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Fancy not facing the reality that a player who is slow and get's pushed out of the contest has extremely worrying deficencies.

Really? You believe a comment I made raising concerns about Marchbank (which I admitted to being wrong) then precludes me from offering a genuine assessment of a player of great significance to our future success?

My apologies. We live in a sick world.

You're right, big slow talls with no aggression or resilience are becoming more and more important the way the game is being played at the moment. My bad. Small, defensive, tackling machines have been poor these first two game haven't they?

There’s a difference between what you and others have been sprouting about how he’s rubbish and is flat out no good and saying that he’s got a flaws he needs to work on.
The talent is undeniable, he’s had games where he’s shown that aggression and desperation too. Yet after the first game of the year you’re writing him off. Only one game removed from the jlt where he dominated the Hawks. He may need time in the vfl but it’s completely moronic to write off a 20 year old on a one game sample size when if you factor in his 43 games + jlt we see a picture of a young key defender who has already shown a huge amount and is clearly looking at piecing all the different parts of his game together still. He’s going to lose 1 on 1 wrestles. He’s 20!!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes he is 20, but he is also slow, and that won't change.
This applies to Weitering and Silvagni.
I am not writing them off, but it is a concern.

Back