mollyfud

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, Vikings
Heard mixed reports on Lake's game. Port supporter basically said he was crap. Jim from Hawthorn said he was good. Above suggests it was just a game.
Thoughts?

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
BH looked like they needed more time together to learn a game plan whereas Port played as a team.Can't believe how many times they kicked into the man on the mark.

Lake was the main interest in this game. He did some OK things but was also beaten in just as many contests. He wouldn't get promoted on that performance alone but he got through unscathed so will probably line up against Pies.

Spangher worked hard around the ground and presented well, also dropped a few easier marks. Ran himself into the ground gathering possies.

Cheney is just super consistent at this level, took quite a few defensive contested marks and used the ball well. If he plays VFL all year he could win a Liston. Just can't seem to nail a position with Hawthorn.

Grimley is finally looking like he belongs. Was one of my main choices for a delisting last year but has started to present himself as a forward presence.

Was very impressed with Lowden who went down with a sore ankle twice but rucked well throughout, took some good grabs up forward and is a good long set shot at goal.

Cegler also did OK in the ruck so our big man stocks look OK.

Ossie took mark of the day and looked to be trouble free of any knee concerns. Not sure if he will be able to regain a spot at Hawthorn though.

O'Brien showed distinct promise as a key forward but will need to spend a year at BH first.

Amos Frank has developed far better awareness skills in relation to team play and was able to lay a number of tackles with lightning chases and cleared the ball from packs well with handball.

Langford did some nice things but not sure where he would be able to slot in. Wanganeen in the same boat.

For BH listed players Pratt did well as did No.7

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Heard mixed reports on Lake's game. Port supporter basically said he was crap. Jim from Hawthorn said he was good. Above suggests it was just a game.
Thoughts?

Those port supporters were feral, playing collingwood will pe a picnic in comparison

The Cleaner

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thoughts?

I thought he did some good work in the air. He was beaten on occasion but not even the best AFL defender is going to dominate VFL-level when the opposition moves the ball freely on the transition. There were comments here last week that Hodge wasn't ready to go but sometimes the intention is just to steer the player through the game and give them a feel for it. For me, the biggest barrier isn't Lake's form, it's the form of the Hawthorn incumbants.

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
Thoughts?

He played a solid game MF , got into the right positions created a contest , took a few strong marks, had a fight which he won v Galea , late in the last he pushed forward and was involved in a big collision with a Port player who came off second best.

I thought it was a good hit out for him , he wasn't spectacular by any stretch but I think the Hawks coaching staff would be pleased with his contribution.

Worth nothing Lowden did an ankle in warm up pregame , then did the other in I suspect the 2nd 1/4 .....both ankles heavly iced after the game and very propy/ginger .
Gutsy effort yesterday .

In no particular order the following are ready for a crack at AFL ...
Doc, Bocca, Spanger and Lake .
Up coming months Stones , Sticks , Langers and Wang will be pressing if there form continues .
Also look for Litherland , Cegler and T.O to be mix later in the year .

dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Up coming months Stones , Sticks , Langers and Wang will be pressing if there form continues .

C'mon man.....ease up on the nicknames. It sounds like they are going camping. Sticks ? Stones? Bocca ?

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.

I have no idea who most of these individuals are.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Thoughts?

From a Port supporter's and commentator's point of view, Lake was a liability in the first 15 minutes.

He gave Galea too much space and allowed him to kick two early goals. Galea was restricted to two more for the game after DC switched Pratt to him (who wore Galea like a glove).

It seemed Lake performed better when he didn't have a direct opponent, however, when man-on-man, he was not accountable.

dlindsay

Senior List
May 6, 2002
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill
From a Port supporter's and commentator's point of view, Lake was a liability in the first 15 minutes.

He gave Galea too much space and allowed him to kick two early goals. Galea was restricted to two more for the game after DC switched Pratt to him (who wore Galea like a glove).

It seemed Lake performed better when he didn't have a direct opponent, however, when man-on-man, he was not accountable.

Lake was beaten by Galea on the lead, but HFC wont use him on leading players like that. He was much better in the pack contests where he can kill the ball, expect to see him used against Cloke this week.

Buddy Guy

So the hawks have f***ed us over again…
Jan 14, 2009
West Side
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I have no idea who most of these individuals are.

Let me have a crack at this TH.

Taylor Duryea (Doc), Kyle Cheney (Bocca), Spanger and Lake.
Up coming months Sam Grimley (Stones) , Luke Lowden (Sticks), Langers and Wang will be pressing if there form continues .
Also look for Litherland , Cegler and Tim O'brien (T.O) to be mix later in the year .

BlackByrd

All Australian
Oct 5, 2008
North London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham
I went to the game yesterday and was really impressed with the way the BH side went about it. I thought they dominated most areas of the match besides centre clearances where Port Melbourne were far superior.

Here are my thoughts on the listed players:

Simpkin: A solid outing for our new recruit, but will need to do more to be in the senior side. Took the game on and made a few solid runs through the centre. 7/10.

Cheney: Thought he was the BOG by a mile. Reads the play so well at this level and backs himself to take marks in defence rather than looking to spoil. Such a shame he can't take that next step and do it at AFL level. 9/10.

Duryea: Love his aggression at the contest. Fiercely determined and rarely beaten one-on-one. Great disposal off half-back and always provided a running option. Will make it at AFL level IMO. 8/10.

Lake: Looked like he lacked some match fitness early on in the game. Looked to settle as the game wore on despite the Port Melbourne players sticking it to him at every opportunity. A few strong spoils and overhead marks deep in defence built his confidence. 6.5/10

Litherland: Solid game by Litherland. The highlight was watching him pick it up from the deck in the half-back line running at full pace, ducking, dodging and weaving and delivering a nice ball inside the fwd 50. 6.5/10

Wanganeen: Floated in and out of the game without having any major impact. Added some class in the middle but I've seem him play better games. 6/10

Langford: Good to see young Will being used more in the middle nowadays. Loves the contested side of things and will only get better with more experience. Tough as nails. 6.5/10

Hallahan: Quiet game from young Mitch. Had a fantastic end to the year in 2012 but hasn't quite got going in 2013. Plenty of time in the year left however. 5.5/10

Kelly: I don't think I've ever seen Kelly play a bad game. At the same time, I've never seen him dominate a game either. Seems to be Mr. Consistent but will need to take his performances up a level during the year to get a crack in the big time. 6/10.

Ceglar: Thought his tap-work was very good for the entire day. Timed his leap well and had a few great tap-outs to advantage. Didn't have a big impact around the ground but was good nonetheless. 6.5/10

O'Brien: Doesn't have the physique to be a dominant VFL player yet, but has some lovely attributes which bode well for the future. A great set of hands and good positional sense will see this bloke become a very good Hawks player IMO. 5/10

Frank: Was good in patches. Scored a great goal with left from 45m out but that was as good as it got. Needs to get involved more. 5/10

Spangher: Was everywhere this bloke. Seems to have a very solid fitness base which is excellent. Ran himself into the ground and picked up a lot of key touches. Was really impressed with him. Needs a little work on his disposal though... 8.5/10

Osbourne: Seems his leg injury hasn't had any effect on his leap. Took mark of the day deep in our fwd line and chipped in with two goals. Needs a few more weeks at BH before a senior selection berth methinks. 6.5/10

Grimley: Hasn't this guy turned it around since 2012! Provided a marking option all day and brought the ball to ground for our crumbers. Surprisingly good set shot for goal, the highlight being nailing a 50m set-shot from the boundary. Finished up with 3 sausage rolls. Impressive game. 7.5/10

Lowden: Thought his tap-work was a little off today, but that could have been due to the ankle injuries he suffered. Was excellent around the ground and up forward. Disposal was excellent all day, the highlight being a bullet pass to Spangher. Finished with 3 goals and could've jagged a few more. 7.5/10

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
Good to hear lots of positives coming from the game. Especially Lowden and Grimley. Labelled as project players, I think they have come into their own and it's really good to see. I hope they continue to put pressure on Hale and Bailey for senior spots.
Always liked Duryea, and it seems he has also broken through, same goes for Cheney, has always had talent, but is always that one player just outside of AFL selection.
Really exciting season ahead!!

Today was a really good display of what a well coached team can do against a more talented line up. ..
Ease up mate i was there with you on Sunday. Port played last week got shellacked came out breathing fire in the first five minutes just like a great team would. We couldn't get near it. We gradually wore them down over the next two and half qtrs to actually be in control of the game. By the end of the game we ran out of legs. We had two players playing hardly any game time in lake and osbourne and had Xavier Murphy go off injured in the 3rd left us with very little run at the death. Great win by port but hardly what your claiming. Remember they did make the grand final last year and winners the year before. Lost a few players but still a great side.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Ease up mate i was there with you on Sunday. Port played last week got shellacked came out breathing fire in the first five minutes just like a great team would. We couldn't get near it. We gradually wore them down over the next two and half qtrs to actually be in control of the game. By the end of the game we ran out of legs. We had two players playing hardly any game time in lake and osbourne and had Xavier Murphy go off injured in the 3rd left us with very little run at the death. Great win by port but hardly what your claiming. Remember they did make the grand final last year and winners the year before. Lost a few players but still a great side.

Ayresy gets full access to all Port players, they have only one goal - his. How many training sessions do you think Lake or Ossie attended at BHH? It would be more remarkable if Port were not more cohesive. Plus Ayresy is a good coach, his record speaks for itself.

Ayresy gets full access to all Port players, they have only one goal - his. How many training sessions do you think Lake or Ossie attended at BHH? It would be more remarkable if Port were not more cohesive. Plus Ayresy is a good coach, his record speaks for itself.
Mate never said he wasn't a good coach. Yes they are not AFL aligned and therefore have a much better comradrie. But to say they lack talent or we are more talented? We have kids in our side most of the guys playing for port have been in the system 8, 9 even 10 years. They have experienced VFL footballers bigger bodies better conditioning and thus able to run out games better. A coach can only do so much

Apr 8, 2012
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Any word on how Brand went in the DS?

Brand was pretty good. He can take a nice mark in the backline.
Brand showed some skill in 1-on-1 contests, gets good positioning, and quite athletic.
Kicking is an issue for most of the development back 6, including Brand, as they turned the ball over a fair amount with the second or third kicks. Under pressure from the turnovers, Brand does well using his footy knowledge to correct the error and quickly get the ball out of Box Hill defensive 50.

With the game in control, the backline didn't see the ball too often so Brand drifted into the forward line where he wasn't really needed as a marking forward.

Overall, Brand looks very good at this stage. Very similar to Angus Litherland but with Brand's natural ability as forward he might get his chance in the senior side when Lake plays for Hawthorn.

Back