Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just chill for a bit Moe B...A lot went wrong for us on the night.. Let's remember that's the first time that team has even played together.
Even with every thing going wrong on the night...the only thing in the end that kept us out of it was our inaccuracies in front of goal.
It seems like we always have to make excuses for things not going our way though, are we always unlucky? Or should we start taking responsibility? The only reason we were in the game is because it was Richmond and I don't rate them at all...

we had two no. ones, a two and a three running around and it didn't help us... bottoming out is for losers
3 no 1s actually, but it doesn't mean stop trying to get higher picks, We have a new recruitment team now so maybe they can open their eyes and see the talent when it's there, when is the last time we recruited a Fyfe or Pendlebury? Shocking drafting would be an understatement, it's definitely coming back to bite us now!!

3 no 1s actually, but it doesn't mean stop trying to get higher picks, We have a new recruitment team now so maybe they can open their eyes and see the talent when it's there, when is the last time we recruited a Fyfe or Pendlebury? Shocking drafting would be an understatement, it's definitely coming back to bite us now!!

So what would you do - exactly to improve what you don't like? What would you have the Club do?

So what would you do - exactly to improve what you don't like? What would you have the Club do?
Concede that were not good enough internally and offload some players for higher draft picks and let Sos transform the team, we know were not getting anywhere with this list and it hurts for me to say that but year's of disappointment has proven that I think... No-one has the answer but we've been going down the same track of recruiting recycled players for a while so why not try something new! I just don't understand what were trying to do atm, make finals? Half rebuild?

Concede that were not good enough internally and offload some players for higher draft picks and let Sos transform the team, we know were not getting anywhere with this list and it hurts for me to say that but year's of disappointment has proven that I think... No-one has the answer but we've been going down the same track of recruiting recycled players for a while so why not try something new! I just don't understand what were trying to do atm, make finals? Half rebuild?

Fair logic based on how little you think of the Clubs most marketable and therefore valuable players...

other Clubs have shown how bad things work out - when you ditch all the good senior players who have value for draft picks....that approach is (at best) a 5-7 year story the Club would have to sell...

good luck with that!

Fair logic based on how little you think of the Clubs most marketable and therefore valuable players...

other Clubs have shown how bad things work out - when you ditch all the good senior players who have value for draft picks....that approach is (at best) a 5-7 year story the Club would have to sell...

good luck with that!
Well 5-7 years is not that bad considering we haven't done much for 20, I'm not saying ditch all good senior players, but somehow try and get a few extra higher type draft picks, we've tried almost everything else, what do you think the solution is?

It seems like we always have to make excuses for things not going our way though, are we always unlucky? Or should we start taking responsibility? The only reason we were in the game is because it was Richmond and I don't rate them at all...

Fact is the Tigers may play finals this year and did last year.. Personally don't rate them either..

But when there on they can beat any body.

We should have been nowhere near them..

Thomas goes down first minute effects the whole midfield rotation.

First off Clem smith doesn't come on for at least 10min.

Yarran played but was not fit and it was a brave effort to play out the game after that knock on the knee.

We now know KJ Played out the game with two broken ribs.

Gibbs 73% Simpson 73% Cripps 76% Carrazzo 76% Smith 73% TOG

That was just to many underdone players. We just run out of legs. Nearly all of the Tigers players played more then 80-88% TOG

On top of that.. It's the first time that core group have even played together.

An interstate trip might be a great way to get the team to bond and jell as group.

Those players mentioned above will better for the run.

Don't hit the panic button just yet. ;)

Fact is the Tigers may play finals this year and did last year.. Personally don't rate them either..

Yarran played but was not fit and it was a brave effort to play out the game after that knock on the knee.

That was just to many underdone players. We just run out of legs. Nearly all of the Tigers players played more then 80-88% TOG

An interstate trip might be a great way to get the team to bond and jell as group.

Well you've put a little more confidence into me, I hope those stats are relevant on friday!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've made that same point about time on ground.

The obvious question from that though is why? Is it a lack of fitness in which case, that's unforgiveable and Buttifant has something to answer for. Or is it an uneconomical game plan that wears us out faster than the opposition? If so, why do we get beaten in uncontested football with the opposition appearing to do more running than us? Where are we expending this energy?

The obvious question from that though is why? Is it a lack of fitness in which case, that's unforgiveable and Buttifant has something to answer for. Or is it an uneconomical game plan that wears us out faster than the opposition? If so, why do we get beaten in uncontested football with the opposition appearing to do more running than us? Where are we expending this energy?

Think back to before the week before the Tigers game. MM said to the media " I'd love just one more week"
When asked if we were ready for the season opener.

Yarran was not himself and looked nothing like the player who ran riot in the pre season games.
That flu/infection could not have been good for his preparation for R1.
Gibbs and Murphy have played very little nab cup.
Henderson just looked rusty as did a few of our other guys.

Menzel Cripps Simpson will all be better for the run.
The first Q1 and a half when our guys were fresh we looked the much better side.

I'm not as worried this year because I don't think it will take long for fitness and form to click.

Back to what Mick was saying I think one more preseason game would have been ideal for were a lot of our players were at fitness wise.

Hendo has to go down back. 12 months of trying him up forward hasn't worked.
Enough of robbing Peter, and it hasn't worked.
I agree, and hopefully we can organise a forward line in the next couple of years with genuine KPFs such as Casboult (who has learned to kick somehow) and Foster or perhaps someone we trade in or draft. That way, Henderson can go back whilst still in his prime.

I seriously don't know why the Rebels and Carlton don't train together. Mikey Harris and Jack Debrezceni could teach Levi a thing or two when it comes to kicking. They're both at Princes Park anyway.

Something needs to be done. Our forwardline is nothing to write home about :(

Well 5-7 years is not that bad considering we haven't done much for 20, I'm not saying ditch all good senior players, but somehow try and get a few extra higher type draft picks, we've tried almost everything else, what do you think the solution is?

I'd let the President - keep doing what he is doing - and bite my tongue re Malthouse who is quickly making himself the biggest problem we have at Carlton - whilst working very hard to see who the best set of possible replacement coaches are out there.

I agree, and hopefully we can organise a forward line in the next couple of years with genuine KPFs such as Casboult (who has learned to kick somehow) and Foster or perhaps someone we trade in or draft. That way, Henderson can go back whilst still in his prime.

Henderson can play forward he should have kicked 3/4 on the night. In the first Q he had 5 marks I50.
3/4 of those contested.
He just looked like he needs match fitness also think Cas has to be in the team.
Just makes life easier for Hendo with Cas in the same forward line.

I think KJ in 3/4 years will be one of our key forwards. His goal kicking from tight angles in the pockets is elite. On the run set shot doesn't matter with this kid.
With tall players that are capable of kicking for goal like that the usually end up playing as forwards.
Look at Watson drafted as a defender with a elite long kick.
IMO will only make it as a forward.
Think the club were foxing a bit during trade period saying " we see KJ as a defender not a forward"
As we know KPF come at a premium.
IMO KJ should developed as a lead up forward or 3rd tall defender.

I love MM and think his the right man. But why was KJ matched up on Griffen.

It was obviously very deliberate. Who knows how the much the Thomas injury effected things.
IMO it's about this and some of the players came out of the rooms and said this.
" it's a marathon not a sprint "
Yes we had a few players that weren't R1 ready to play but we still had to play them and they will be much better for it.
With everything taken into consideration we done well to get with in 4 goals. IMO

Think back to before the week before the Tigers game. MM said to the media " I'd love just one more week"
When asked if we were ready for the season opener.

Yarran was not himself and looked nothing like the player who ran riot in the pre season games.
That flu/infection could not have been good for his preparation for R1.
Gibbs and Murphy have played very little nab cup.
Henderson just looked rusty as did a few of our other guys.

Menzel Cripps Simpson will all be better for the run.
The first Q1 and a half when our guys were fresh we looked the much better side.

I'm not as worried this year because I don't think it will take long for fitness and form to click.

Back to what Mick was saying I think one more preseason game would have been ideal for were a lot of our players were at fitness wise.

There may be reasons and it is only round 1, but most of these guys have had a full preseason. Missing a NAB challenge match or two shouldn't remove that core fitness base. Getting over the flu or sustaining an injury during the match is valid. I'd say all AFL players will be better for the run. No real reason why Menzel, Cripps and Simpson would need the run more than the Richmond players.

We have to get our timing right in the preseason and hit the ground running. Last year we had the 22 post season surgeries. This year ... should have been a pretty strong and fit line up heading in.

I'm not writing them off, and not saying there are no excuses but I want to acknowledge that round 1 is the same for every team and we can't claim special circumstances when we all operate under the same circumstances.

How much more fitter can the players get in one week. I do agree that Yarran could of done with the extra week as he had the flu and that takes a lot out of you. But seriously as mentioned above most of the boys have had solid pre-seasons. We are not the only team that the players hadn't played that much together before.

Looking for a better performance come Friday night. I still think it is our forward line that is the problem.

I like the idea of leaving Rowe and Jamison as the KPDs. Having Casboult forward allows that. Using Rowe as relief ruck should not be done again. That is why KJ was on Griffins imo so Rowe did not tire early from the body on body work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back