Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There may be reasons and it is only round 1, but most of these guys have had a full preseason. Missing a NAB challenge match or two shouldn't remove that core fitness base. Getting over the flu or sustaining an injury during the match is valid. I'd say all AFL players will be better for the run. No real reason why Menzel, Cripps and Simpson would need the run more than the Richmond players.

We have to get our timing right in the preseason and hit the ground running. Last year we had the 22 post season surgeries. This year ... should have been a pretty strong and fit line up heading in.

I'm not writing them off, and not saying there are no excuses but I want to acknowledge that round 1 is the same for every team and we can't claim special circumstances when we all operate under the same circumstances.

But we didn't.. That Thomas injury so early in the game is a massive blow in an early season fixture.
Clem Smith would not have been ready to play a full game at AFL level.

The fact that was the first time that group of players played together is also not a small thing.
Hopefully we can grind out a few wins. While all our players get match fit.

We looked good for the first 40min. We looked rusty and tired for the rest.
The Tigers were on have had the preseason from heaven and a lot went wrong for us on the night.
A 4 goal lost not the end of the world.

Henderson can play forward he should have kicked 3/4 on the night. In the first Q he had 5 marks I50.
3/4 of those contested.
He just looked like he needs match fitness also think Cas has to be in the team.
Just makes life easier for Hendo with Cas in the same forward line.

I think KJ in 3/4 years will be one of our key forwards. His goal kicking from tight angles in the pockets is elite. On the run set shot doesn't matter with this kid.
With tall players that are capable of kicking for goal like that the usually end up playing as forwards.
Look at Watson drafted as a defender with a elite long kick.
IMO will only make it as a forward.
Think the club were foxing a bit during trade period saying " we see KJ as a defender not a forward"
As we know KPF come at a premium.
IMO KJ should developed as a lead up forward or 3rd tall defender.

I love MM and think his the right man. But why was KJ matched up on Griffen.
Mate I agree Henderson is a capable forward, but I think he is more important to us coming out of defence because of his decision making and kicking skills. When he was in form and playing down back a couple of years ago, he rebounded out of D50 with a lot of precision and hit targets often. If we want to play more down the middle of the park, Hendo is the sort of KPD you want bringing the ball out. As much as I am enjoying Rowe's work, disposal isn't his strong point. It's not bad, just not someone who can launch attacks.

Mate I agree Henderson is a capable forward, but I think he is more important to us coming out of defence because of his decision making and kicking skills. When he was in form and playing down back a couple of years ago, he rebounded out of D50 with a lot of precision and hit targets often. If we want to play more down the middle of the park, Hendo is the sort of KPD you want bringing the ball out. As much as I am enjoying Rowe's work, disposal isn't his strong point. It's not bad, just not someone who can launch attacks.

I get that.. The things is we can some what cover him down back.. Up forward without him there is no leadership no go to man.
Some times your right. Having a rock solid defence can hide a few weakness.
Having Henderson down there would give us that.

A forward line without him just looks terrible. Leave him down there for the first 12 rounds at least.
Unless we are getting belted. Give him and Jones/Watson/Cas whoever it may be time to jell together.
IMO he is ready become a great forward for us. He was killing it in the first 40min.
Then he seem to run out of gas as did many others and started to look untidy.
But in the first Q when we were playing well he was a big reason. 5 marks inside50 and he didn't even hit the score board himself but he gives us a real forward target.

I'd let the President - keep doing what he is doing - and bite my tongue re Malthouse who is quickly making himself the biggest problem we have at Carlton - whilst working very hard to see who the best set of possible replacement coaches are out there.
So are you saying there's no issue with our list? Although Malthouse is becoming a problem, surely we can't place the full blame on him...

So do I MB...if we can't beat WC without two of there better KPB and there second best KPF.
Then I will start praying to the draft gods. ;)
Haha same, just hope we don't go for another L Livingston... Omg it's round 1 and negativity is slowly creeping in, Cmon blues FIREUP!!

So are you saying there's no issue with our list? Although Malthouse is becoming a problem, surely we can't place the full blame on him...
There are massive issues with current starting 22 - especially at the more experienced end. This senior group has proven itself to be unable or unwilling to play team football or be competitive against the better sides - consistently for years now.

However, building a Club wide strategy, putting the right people in place to see this through and having the right coach in place doing his job is of primary concern. If Malthouse can't make Carlton a flag contender over the next couple of years- he is getting too old to be in charge of an extended Club rebuild.

That is just an opinion -everyone has them.

There are massive issues with current starting 22 - especially at the more experienced end. This senior group has proven itself to be unable or unwilling to play team football or be competitive against the better sides - consistently for years now.

However, building a Club wide strategy, putting the right people in place to see this through and having the right coach in place doing his job is of primary concern. If Malthouse can't make Carlton a flag contender over the next couple of years- he is getting too old to be in charge of an extended Club rebuild.

That is just an opinion -everyone has them.
No you're right and I agree, I just feel like the players are more to blame if we had to point the finger, Malthouse has past his expiry date and everybody can see it... I'm not confident he'll be here this time next year!! Still a legend coach but just not what we need right now, we need someone new with something new and grow together that way, even if that means going back to square 1 if we have to...

No you're right and I agree, I just feel like the players are more to blame if we had to point the finger, Malthouse has past his expiry date and everybody can see it... I'm not confident he'll be here this time next year!! Still a legend coach but just not what we need right now, we need someone new with something new and grow together that way, even if that means going back to square 1 if we have to...
I don't think "new" or "young" necessarily means "better".

Just heard the audio of the Lloyd/Shaw comments from last week, and unfortunately I have to agree. The biggest problem with this club is the poor recruiting over the last 5 years.

Really.

How so.

I don't think "new" or "young" necessarily means "better".
You're right, but I didn't mean young, just younger with new strategies and tactics...If things don't work out towards the latter part of the season, I think we need to explore those options, Whether it's continuing to turnover the list a bit more or changing the coaching staff... A Ken Hinkley type would be great, Port didn't and still don't have a great list but he's done a fantastic job of turning that club around, I wouldn't mind heading in that direction!! Just an opinion...

Really.

How so.
He hasn't really gone with flow in the way of tactics, feels like he is persisting with a game plan that simply does not work any more especially with our list... He's getting on a bit now and I'm just not sure he can take us where we want to go, this year will either prove me right or wrong, even if we come good how long can he stick around for with his age inevitably becoming a factor?

He hasn't really gone with flow in the way of tactics, feels like he is persisting with a game plan that simply does not work any more especially with our list... He's getting on a bit now and I'm just not sure he can take us where we want to go, this year will either prove me right or wrong, even if we come good how long can he stick around for with his age inevitably becoming a factor?

Can't agree with you that he has gone past his use by date & everybody can see it.
That is a very huge statement to make.

Only the ones that chose to see it for one reason or another actually see it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't agree with you that he has gone past his use by date & everybody can see it.
That is a very huge statement to make.

Only the ones that chose to see it for one reason or another actually see it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Only one way to tell I guess... If he gets another contract I'd happily admit that I was wrong because it means there's progression!!

Only one way to tell I guess... If he gets another contract I'd happily admit that I was wrong because it means there's progression!!
Aphrodite and MEB_ are right that 'Newer' doesn't mean better, but by the same token, just because the club renews Malthouse's contract, it doesn't make them right!
Sudden-Clarity-Clarence.jpg

Just heard the audio of the Lloyd/Shaw comments from last week, and unfortunately I have to agree. The biggest problem with this club is the poor recruiting over the last 5 years.
Umm... is that Matthew 'Rocket Scientist' Lloyd and Tony 'nuclear physicist' Shaw... those guys know as much about recruiting as my arse does...

Quoting only to engage in this particular line of thought.

We can load up our defense with our experienced KPPs by having Rowe at FB and Jamison / Henderson rotating CHF / 3rd tall.
This would mean that we would build our attacks from defense.

However that would leave us with a very inexperienced and not so talented forward structure of Casboult / Jones / Jaksch / Watson.
Not a forward line to inspire but it is young and could be developed. Cas at FF with Jones / Watson on the HF line. Jaksch more the 3rd tall.
(writing this it becomes clear that we can not do this.)

If we move Henderson to Defense then Rowe needs to go to CHF and be the bullocking forward, Casboult/Jones the pack crashing forward and then the others whatever they can.

But that still is 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'. Last season the Rowe/Jamison combination was good. Lets give it another try this year.
Last season Henderson was playing under an injury and interrupted preseason cloud. This season he has to learn the game style of Jones and co.
It takes time for that to become second nature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back