Autopsy Rd 1 Geelong lose to GWS by 32 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why but I thought I'd watch the CS presser.
He is truly an amazing human being.
Someone who is like a supermassive black hole of Charm, Charisma, Wit etc, but somehow manages to be ultra pretentious at the same time!
You really can't help but be impressed by the pure unlikeability to be honest.

Year in year out we are an easy side to play against.

We don’t stick tackles and there is no manic pressure or desire in the way we play.

That combined with having a dud coach and s**t MC selection, it’s going to be a s**t year.

We need to build the next generation. Play Parfitt and constable in the guts. Give them a go
The lack of pressure and desire is the most galling part of this team's culture. Fish stinks from the head down - buck stops at CS...

Playing the Guthries and the like just sends the wrong message to the team, drop the pair of them and watch the on field efforts by others improve,good coaches use dropping under performing players to advance the sides resolve and character,there isn't a better weapon in their arsenal than the threat of embarrassing a player who's under performing.There're up sides to this also for the dropped player if he's any good he will fight to get back in and work to stay there.It also gives hope to those trying to break into the best 22.
Spot on but Scott seems incapable of this strategy which is why it feels like the team rarely gives 100%...

Not sure why but I thought I'd watch the CS presser.
He is truly an amazing human being.
Someone who is like a supermassive black hole of Charm, Charisma, Wit etc, but somehow manages to be ultra pretentious at the same time!
You really can't help but be impressed by the pure unlikeability to be honest.

Rather stick a fork in my eye.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on but Scott seems incapable of this strategy which is why it feels like the team rarely gives 100%...

There was one game, against West Coast, that they bring up.

Grady pulls it apart well here:

‪The Simon Lloyd comments that made my blood boil https://geelongcatsblog.com/afl/the-simon-lloyd-comment-that-made-my-blood-boil/‬

I think the spin is what really gets me the most. It's flat out dishonesty. It's if they've leaned nothing from the leadership path they followed after 2006.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry but I just can’t buy the doom and gloom narrative. Lots to improve on but we played the runners up from last year who everyone agrees has close to it not the best list in the comp,, interstate, and everywhere aside from kicking straight we basically matched them.

It’s rare that you are going to get 22 good games from 22 players on the same night, rarer still when you don’t have 22 genuinely good players. I don’t know why the expectation is there that we will somehow buck that trend

Was he on anyone?
Looked lost and ran around like a chook with it's head cut off,mostly I have to say avoiding any risk of physical contact,I have coached that type they get involved at training with players they know and can look the goods but go to water against hostile opponents game day and hang back.

Sorry but I just can’t buy the doom and gloom narrative. Lots to improve on but we played the runners up from last year who everyone agrees has close to it not the best list in the comp,, interstate, and everywhere aside from kicking straight we basically matched them.

It’s rare that you are going to get 22 good games from 22 players on the same night, rarer still when you don’t have 22 genuinely good players. I don’t know why the expectation is there that we will somehow buck that trend
But then again, they've also had nearly 6 months to prepare for this one game and be cherry ripe for it. So, as far as I'm concerned, this game was a huge failure for a club claiming to be still in the premiership window. I can accept the skill errors because the first few rounds of a season can be like that as players adjust from training/preseason intensity to real match intensity. But the way they just gave up in the end and let GWS roll them by a big margin was disgusting. I suspect we'll be thereabouts at the end of the season given our home ground advantage, and with a 17 game season (if that's what it is) 11/12 wins are probably all a club will need this year to make the finals. But I saw nothing last night that told me the coaching group and team leadership learned anything from last year. It seems to be the same gameplan and the same lack of hunger for the contest that saw the side rollover in last year's prelim.

I hate to say this about the club I love, but (apart from a few individuals) this team is soft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then again, they've also had nearly 6 months to prepare for this one game and be cherry ripe for it. So, as far as I'm concerned, this game was a huge failure for a club claiming to be still in the premiership window. I can accept the skill errors because the first few rounds of a season can be like that as players adjust from training/preseason intensity to real match intensity. But the way they just gave up in the end and let GWS roll them by a big margin was disgusting. I suspect we'll be thereabouts at the end of the season given our home ground advantage, and with a 17 game season (if that's what it is) 11/12 wins are probably all a club will need this year to make the finals. But I saw nothing last night that told me the coaching group and team leadership learned anything from last year. It seems to be the same gameplan and the same lack of hunger for the contest that saw the side rollover in last year's prelim.
Nailed it!! :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

I like all the comments in the gameday thread about the players not being talented or skilled enough. This is basically the same team that finished top of the ladder last year.

always an excuse for the coach

So correct me if I'm wrong - but what you're saying is that the coach is really good for getting a team with not much talent or skill to finish on top in 2019?

🤔

SAv was on the bench I think after the eye poke.. Fort who did well V Jacobs was spent - so it was Blitz to the ruck and once you take him out of FB the whole phouse of cards falls apart - like it would for every other team.

Was made out of desparation and it failed accordingly. I posted at the time that Scarlo must have thought " WTF you think is gonna happen when you take our FB out and put him in the ruck"

GO Catters
It's almost as if some posters dont actually watch the game, they just look for the things that they can whinge about.

If the season is over in the next few weeks I hope Gaz will come back next year. His pinpoint passing shows up how poor many other player's skills are.
Like the majority I fail to see why young Zuthrie is still on the list. I wish him well at his next club.

It is hard to know what to make of this season. Maybe the match committee has a plan to do with a broken season, I don't know. What I do know is last season started off so well and the 2nd half killed off most of my faith in CS. Nothing I have seen so far has changed that.

We need to have a good hard look at all of our coaches. Sadly the players that carry the club at the moment will soon be gone.

I dunno, I'd prefer him as a skills coach :p

Dunno. We've accepted losing in pre-season games for years now and it's meant absolutely nothing when it comes to the real stuff.
Because they don't matter, don't want injuries, save it for when it counts.
How are these games different?
Hopefully fulfilling the bare minimum for a contract and that's it.
Would rather see Ablett go around for another proper year than win a couple of these games with short qrs and no fans at the ground.
Losing a preseason game isn't losing a game

This is actually my biggest footy concern this year (as I don’t have aspirations for this year) -our new crop really need VFL development for next year (will put them all back by 12 months). Similarly with no TAC games - makes it much harder for Wells and co to spot talent and use our war chest of high picks wisely.
I think it'll come in, just has to be after the flu-pocalypse has gone through the hospitals. Give it a couple of months

Looked lost and ran around like a chook with it's head cut off,mostly I have to say avoiding any risk of physical contact,I have coached that type they get involved at training with players they know and can look the goods but go to water against hostile opponents game day and hang back.
Apparently had a great pre season though. Should be good for 2 more years on the contract!
Richo In the last mentioned he didn’t know zuthrie was out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back