Autopsy Rd 1 Geelong lose to GWS by 32 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps cut and paste this link

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's no doubt in my mind that this MC have cost us at least making it to another GF since 2011.

When Simon Lloyd first came in i was really hoping he'd be our next head coach, now he's just another Geelong muppet.

You're 100% correct, but it's something softy Chris Scott has never believed in.

Dropping players can not only be great for the club culture, but for the player in question! A mental reset is often what they require, rather than playing with a lower level of confidence / at a level below their best week after week.

Yeah. A competitive sports outfit like a footy club should be a meritocracy above all else. Playing favourites even when they're out of form is only hurting the side.

GWS kicked remarkably straight blah blah blah...
All I have is Questions Questions Questions.

How many kickable goals did Cats miss?
When was it obvious... Toby Green running quickly to the goal square, was a set play?
How many times did Cats players stand bye and allow uncontested marks?
Did slowing play prevent stupid turnovers or GWS racing into attack?
How many times did Cats fail to aggressively man the mark?
Did the team apply maximum defensive pressure on their opponents?
Were you unsure if the Cats want to score quickly or prefer to defend?
Did the Cats have a clear system in moving the ball forward?
Why is our many years old ruck problem still not fixed?
Is our slow defensive game plan, as is now, premiership material?
Are you confident the above issues will be fixed soon?

Cameron has had worse games than last night and has never been dropped

This alone promotes mediocrity and bad culture.

Anyone who claims that Guthrie shouldn't have been dropped somewhere along the line is just kidding themselves. He's had spells well below other players who HAVE been dropped.

Last night was status quo for him - little to no impact, crab around contests, no physicality, no meters gained (66m in 11 touches!)... pointless.

I don't know why Constable is sticking around. If I were him, I'd leave the club.

GWS kicked remarkably straight blah blah blah...
All I have is Questions Questions Questions.

How many kickable goals did Cats miss?
When was it obvious... Toby Green running quickly to the goal square, was a set play?
How many times did Cats players stand bye and allow uncontested marks?
Did slowing play prevent stupid turnovers or GWS racing into attack?
How many times did Cats fail to aggressively man the mark?
Did the team apply maximum defensive pressure on their opponents?
Were you unsure if the Cats want to score quickly or prefer to defend?
Did the Cats have a clear system in moving the ball forward?
Why is our many years old ruck problem still not fixed?
Is our slow defensive game plan, as is now, premiership material?
Are you confident the above issues will be fixed soon?

Constructive heckling:thumbsu:

Closed up shop. Looks like we finished 12th for the season. Bring on the draft.

See you on the other side ladies and gentlemen.

Pick 5 and 11 in the draft as it stands.
If there is no more rounds of footy played this year then the draft order will not be based on the current ladder.
That much is absolutely certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking from afar...South Island NZ that looked like a fairly weak Geelong side playing against last years Runners Up albeit a pathetic GF performance playing on their home ground. This round should never have been played ...but they have seen how it looks w/o crowds and realised it does not work. Just a dumb game where grown men chase a piece of pigskin and try and kick it between wooden posts.

Looking from afar...South Island NZ that looked like a fairly weak Geelong side playing against last years Runners Up albeit a pathetic GF performance playing on their home ground. This round should never have been played ...but they have seen how it looks w/o crowds and realised it does not work. Just a dumb game where grown men chase a piece of pigskin and try and kick it between wooden posts.
I wasn't called off because of lack of crowds. It's just not feasible in current conditions. States are closing borders, players and staff are being tested for it, the game requires frequent close contact. With the way it's spreading and the responses from government, it just can't continue.

It has nothing to do with no crowds, the Victorian State Govt. has said today (Sunday) that all non-essential businesses and all outdoor events are canceled from Tuesday. The AFL has no choice but to shut down. I suspect the state will be in total lockdown by the middle of next week. I suggest you worry about what's going on in your own backyard (NZ) and we'll worry about what's going on here.

I know I bang on about how our selection committee performs worse than our players consistently but can we all agree that the team that has played the last few years will not win a flag. So please please please can we play some newbies and commit to a different look this year or we are just treading water.
Disagree. We got to a prelim last year against Richmond who won the GF the following week, we were 21 points up at half time and 6 points down at time-on in the last quarter. Some bad luck with injuries and suspensions, with Hawkins, Duncan and Clark playing we could have won that game and would have knocked over the Giants the following week. I don't know if our team is as strong as last year, its only round one.

It's hard to get continuity into your game when you've been shipped around your whole career.

They had a chance to properly develop him at FB once Lonergan retired and they haven't done it.

IMO The best our team has looked since 2013 was the first half of last year when there were hardly any changes and players were played mostly in the one position.

Then the MC went back to old habits and the completely desperate defensive mindset took over and we become a bunch of boring individuals with no direction.

I think our gameplan is s**t and ALL our coaches are either massively overrated or have stalled in their development.

Really hope I'm proved wrong.
Now there is an idea. Play a settled team, not everyone will make the all Australian team but together they may win a GF.

Only watched the first qtr. it would have been a long season as we are miles of the skill speed equation that clearly GWS and everyone else has been following. We just look behind. Thought menegola wasn’t playing before he had an effectual snap. GAJ maybe one season too many. Harry same. So when GWS wanted to drop a gear we were found to be already running as hard as we could.

Was down about us this year now more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure why but I thought I'd watch the CS presser.
He is truly an amazing human being.
Someone who is like a supermassive black hole of Charm, Charisma, Wit etc, but somehow manages to be ultra pretentious at the same time!
You really can't help but be impressed by the pure unlikeability to be honest.
Too be honest, I think he just looked stressed. Like he implicitly understood the league was in dire financial stress

Yeah. A competitive sports outfit like a footy club should be a meritocracy above all else. Playing favourites even when they're out of form is only hurting the side.
So, so true. This bizarre practice of playing people like Parsons and Zuthrie when literally no one else has them on the radar of first team selection is doing my head in. Play well, get in and stay in: don't improve, seeya. I recognise that rucks and players like sav take time to develop, but you've got to keep them on edge. There's a real 'teacher's pet' air about the GFC these days.

With the changes that will have to come in the next week or so - mass sackings at clubs (you don't take $5m off the cost base painlessly), we could have a complete reset on things - who knows? You would think at least a third if not more of the admin and footy depts are at risk. Maybe more. Its likely between 50-80 jobs per club if it all came out of labour. It wont be that many but its a significant number. Everyone in the community is impacted, and I think that footy clubs are about to get an adjustment on things like revenue and how much they are paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back