Autopsy Rd 1 Geelong lose to GWS by 32 points

Remove this Banner Ad

GAJ maybe one season too many. Harry same.

Ablett was close to our best player, and Harry was far from the worst in our defence. If they hadn't been playing we would have lost by more.

If you want to argue that they shouldn't have played on because we can't win the flag and need to get games into our youngsters, that's a different question.

Last edited:
Probably all for moot now but some thoughts:

*We were good out of the middle, thought we held our own for most of the game
*Accuracy in front of goal was the difference. We had equal or more scoring shots for most of the game
*Law of averages caught up with us (I remember one game we kicked 20.4 or something against Melbourne at home).
*Most importantly, good kicking is good football, and we wasted some gimmie goals.

End of the day there are more important things than footy, but I'm not too upset about the loss, it was a winnable game from start to finish and we were never out of it, especially had we kicked straighter (or GWS missed a few). 2020 is not our year, but finals are not out of the picture....

Can't believe we're going to have two months to dissect this game :D
Or maybe we go with the old "name a game*" and we work our way through games from previous years - highlights, lowlights, and all that stuff

Each week we select a new game or nominate someone to select a game

*Nominated game must have a positive conclusion because if we are going to miss at least 2 months of the football season, we ain't going to relive s**t games

Or maybe we go with the old "name a game*" and we work our way through games from previous years - highlights, lowlights, and all that stuff

Each week we select a new game or nominate someone to select a game

*Nominated game must have a positive conclusion because if we are going to miss at least 2 months of the football season, we ain't going to relive s**t games

Can we make it games from our finals campaigns over the last 8 years?

Oh, just saw your disclaimer

Can we make it games from our finals campaigns over the last 8 years?

Oh, just saw your disclaimer
Sure... There's the 2013, 2017 & 2019 semifinals :D

But if discussion turns to the 2013 qualifying final, I'll also find out if it's possible for a forum to resemble current life in Australia and a partial shutdown ;)

Ablett was close to our best player, and Harry was far from the worst in our defence. If they hadn't been playing we would have lost by more.

If you want to argue that they shouldn't have played on because we can't win the flag and need to get games into our youngsters, that's a different question.

From memory I indicated I just watched first qtr. and in that qtr the pattern of the game was established. Almost a carbon copy for mine from the Essendon game and quite a few late in the season. Our style of play and or players just seem not right now. Maybe pessimistic but I’m not normally and very upbeat about us and defend the team except during the game when I lose my mind!!

Those two just didn’t look that good. I wasn’t asking any other questions. I’ll leave that to you to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably all for moot now but some thoughts:

*We were good out of the middle, thought we held our own for most of the game
*Accuracy in front of goal was the difference. We had equal or more scoring shots for most of the game
*Law of averages caught up with us (I remember one game we kicked 20.4 or something against Melbourne at home).
*Most importantly, good kicking is good football, and we wasted some gimmie goals.

End of the day there are more important things than footy, but I'm not too upset about the loss, it was a winnable game from start to finish and we were never out of it, especially had we kicked straighter (or GWS missed a few). 2020 is not our year, but finals are not out of the picture....
Also made a few very crucial skill errors, all of which resulted in easy goals.
Frustrating, because as you say, we were in it in all other aspects of the game.
Not that certain moaners will recognise that.

Ive hardly posted from the off season - got very little interest

However ( and someone may have mentioned this ) but if the worst happens and the season is called off - then the Cats keep their amazing record of having never finished in the bottom 4 since 1986

Geelong currently sit 14th on the ladder - .6 of 1% above the bottom 4

Yeah outstanding stufff from the Cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustrating, because as you say, we were in it in all other aspects of the game.
Not that certain moaners will recognise that.
Rusty start to the season agianst the best side in the comp away from home. Not many teams will go to Western Sydney and win this year. Anyone who had it pencilled in as an easy win was fooling themselves. Cats showed enough that they will be there when it matters. I find it's better to ignore the regular moaners, chris scott could cure COVID-19 and they'd still complain he dodn't do it "their way"

Geelong currently sit 14th on the ladder - .6 of 1% above the bottom 4

Yeah outstanding stufff from the Cats

Piss take mate. This years ladder will mean squat all if less than 17 H+A games are played. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is the one who benefits (most likely Hawker or Tiger ferals). The womens AFL didn't crown a premier after the prelims...

After watching the short video on Facebook featuring Ablett I would suggest that he has lost none of his footy nous, nor his kicking skills. Long may he play.
Senior could well have played longer if allowed. Unfortunately he wasn't.

After watching the short video on Facebook featuring Ablett I would suggest that he has lost none of his footy nous, nor his kicking skills. Long may he play.
Senior could well have played longer if allowed. Unfortunately he wasn't.
GAJ is fine when the season starts. He just can't keep it as the season progresses. Hence a 17 game season would be perfect for him and our other "seniors". But if reports of this virus being around for +/-6 months are accurate, I hope we have not just seen his last game.

GAJ is fine when the season starts. He just can't keep it as the season progresses. Hence a 17 game season would be perfect for him and our other "seniors". But if reports of this virus being around for +/-6 months are accurate, I hope we have not just seen his last game.
Agree which makes me wonder why the Coach did not rest him more last year. Remember the Coach who won the GF in 2011 in part because he rested players. So he knows the benefits.

Agree which makes me wonder why the Coach did not rest him more last year. Remember the Coach who won the GF in 2011 in part because he rested players. So he knows the benefits.
He several times said they had it planned, but that GAJ was insistent that he was right to go on each occasion.

Which begs the perennial question around CS-who actually makes the decisions. In 2011 he apparently had players rested with no problems. Why not in 2019.
GAJ himself; supposedly his wellness or whatever they use at Geelong to measure daily progress and his insistence.

GAJ himself; supposedly his wellness or whatever they use at Geelong to measure daily progress and his insistence.
So that could suggest that the players decide who is going to play and as a consequence their game plan and style. Problem now as we have not done well , but wasn't in 2011. Continuing that line of thought then the Players won the 2011 GF.

So that could suggest that the players decide who is going to play and as a consequence their game plan and style. Problem now as we have not done well , but wasn't in 2011. Continuing that line of thought then the Players won the 2011 GF.
And have failed ever since.

GAJ is a unique case in many ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back