Autopsy Rd 1 Geelong lose to GWS by 32 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem tonight was that the giants got kissed on the dick with their efficiency in goal kicking and going forward in general.

Also, the following footballers are VFL standard at best.

Atkins
Menegola
Zuthrie

Drop those 3 potatoes and Bring in

Parfitt
Cockatoo
Steven

And we’ll be infinitely better
Well to be fair we got Menegola and Atkins out of the VFL/WAFL cause they weren't good enough for AFL.
So that is their standard.
Got Zuthrie as a rookie and no other club wanted him, so ditto.
It's the way it goes. That is their standard, and we pump games into them anyway.

Hawkins showed way, way more at an earlier stage. He kicked 3 on debut and 4 the week after.
Hawkins was also very good at the basic football skills.
I like Baudolino's idea about chucking him in the ruck. Because it doesn't matter how many years we play him forward he'll never be able to kick at the required standard

Sav needs to get dropped after that performance but you can gaurantee hell play another 10 in a row and do near enough to * all, Jenkins can at least hold a mark and is just as competitive aa a relief ruck.. Easy decision for mine.

Sav needs to get dropped after that performance but you can gaurantee hell play another 10 in a row and do near enough to fu** all, Jenkins can at least hold a mark and is just as competitive aa a relief ruck.. Easy decision for mine.
To be fair Jenkins is just another player who another team didn't want.
It's not a proper season anyway, should use this year to play kids who we had to draft cause other teams wanted them too.
Try and protect Gaz so he can play another year.
Who cares if we finish last in a Corona year?

Sav needs to get dropped after that performance but you can gaurantee hell play another 10 in a row and do near enough to fu** all, Jenkins can at least hold a mark and is just as competitive aa a relief ruck.. Easy decision for mine.

He shouldn't get dropped after one game. If he provides that same result for a couple more games then yes bring in Jenkins.

With all the craziness going on, was great to watch our side go around.

Was actually a good game to watch, Geelong was actually a lot more competitive than I thought we would be with hampered preparations. GWS are a supremely talented team - yep 17.3 is exceptional but their precision was no fluke.

Stand outs -

- Duncan- great game given no preparation. Ablett also good.
- I thought Fort was actually okay - competed well and had good patches in ruck and ground work
- Hawk much better when leading up to 50 than wrestling in forward 30. Should play CFH.
- MOC and Clark are going to be very good players
- Tuohy better than many others credit.
Always thought Hawkins was better at CHF.

Geelong is battle weary it's an older side the thing Geelong lack is speed athleticism on the outside
Geelong has far more outside speed now then it did between 2007-11.

quick players now at the club.

clark
dangerfield
stevens
rohan
duncan
bews
stanley
Wont count parsons as he is too awful And cocky is too injured.

quick players in 2007-11
wojo
ablett
mackie
s. Byrnes
varcoe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to be bold at the selection table. Players on the chopping block include:-
Guthrie, Guthrie, Atkins, Rata, Menegola, Rohan.
Tackling just didn't stick.

I really can't get behind dropping Rohan, he's a forward that can both create and seize attacking opportunities.

Not hugely consistent I'll grant you, but forwards by their nature struggle with consistency.

Geelong has far more outside speed now then it did between 2007-11.

quick players now at the club.

clark
dangerfield
stevens
rohan
duncan
bews
stanley
Wont count parsons as he is too awful And cocky is too injured.

quick players in 2007-11
wojo
ablett
mackie
s. Byrnes
varcoe

The best time to delete this was before you posted it, the second best time is now.

Throw in Stevens, Jenkins and Parfitt and remove both Guthries and Sav and we win that. I thought Fort played a pretty decent game, better than what Stanley would have dished up? Maybe, but is Jacobs going at 50% of his best these days, who knows.

To be fair Jenkins is just another player who another team didn't want.
It's not a proper season anyway, should use this year to play kids who we had to draft cause other teams wanted them too.
Try and protect Gaz so he can play another year.
Who cares if we finish last in a Corona year?
Everyone should. Once the expectation is set that losing is any context is acceptable the cancer takes a long time to go into remission.

Everyone should. Once the expectation is set that losing is any context is acceptable the cancer takes a long time to go into remission.
Dunno. We've accepted losing in pre-season games for years now and it's meant absolutely nothing when it comes to the real stuff.
Because they don't matter, don't want injuries, save it for when it counts.
How are these games different?
Hopefully fulfilling the bare minimum for a contract and that's it.
Would rather see Ablett go around for another proper year than win a couple of these games with short qrs and no fans at the ground.

If Narkle doeent have the tank they need to pick someone who does, cant have a starting mid hit the wall by half time he did literally nothing in that second half...

He wasn't alone. I have got to say I saw him around the packs a lot in the second half. Whether he got his hands on it, is another matter.

I'd be more concerned by yet again the match selection 'committee' picking guys like Zuthrie over Constable or Parfitt, considering his starting position was the wing.

He's not a wingman. Laughable to even consider him there.

That said, the coaching staff and match committee still think Blitz in the ruck works. It's worked once and been an absolute failure in many more games than I can count.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I find games like tonight to be a very interesting study in the wants and opinions of various posters with a clear - and partially earned - bias against the coach and match committee.

it hasn’t gone unnoticed that many are calling for ratugolea to be dropped.

it also hasn’t gone unnoticed that many of those vehement decrying his presence in the team are the same types who have spent 4 years voicing the opinion that we should rrebuild and be happy to lose, and pump games into young players with potential.

Now while I am all for rewarding and punishing form, surely given out general hand at the draft - a poor one - when we do happen upon a young player who at the very least has the physical attributes to develop into a gun, he is exactly the sort of player these types of fans think we should persist with? Tom Hawkins wowed everyone on debut in 2007. It literally wasn’t until the end of 2011 that he actually matured into a player who should theoretically go down as one of the 5 best key forwards the second-oldest club in the sport has ever had.

I’m not saying Sav has a ceiling that high but this ‘he should never be picked again’ style overreaction is ridiculous.

there are physical elements about him that mean he has the capacity to be a brilliant player. There are skill aspects in particular that let him down.

but those things can develop and be learned. Having the natural gifts he does cannot.
i have no dramas with him being spelled from time to time but make up your minds.

do you want to try and develop the next crop or not?
Fully agree on your underlying point PhatBoy - that if you are going to do a partial rebuild then you need to persist with new talent.
Should definitely persevere with Sav - the talent is there. And he was providing contests and physical presence.
Even though not young I’d also say that Fort has potential and competed well and should continue.
With Zuthrie it is different - he just doesn’t have the attributes to constitute a ‘talent’ (he does appear to be a very cool, calm play reader but this alone isn’t enough). Also did not appear to be able to have any presence in the game, aside from one nice side step and short pass late in the game. My only pause on this view was that I had similar thoughts about MOC and concede I was totally wrong. Will go out for Stevens if fit.
Funny but Geelong does the reverse sometimes and not give some games to some they should. Although this will be hotly disputed I think Simpson does have midfield talents and probably deserved some games towards the end of last year. Will be very disappointed if not given some games this year, particularly if Zuthrie shows more games like last night.

I really can't get behind dropping Rohan, he's a forward that can both create and seize attacking opportunities.

Not hugely consistent I'll grant you, but forwards by their nature struggle with consistency.

He is actually. You get 8 touches a game. And a soft goal or two if things fall his way. Zero tackles last night too.

It’s remarkable how he’s made a career of doing hardly anything and actually gets praised for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back