Autopsy Rd 1, March 25, 2017 - Gold Coast v Brisbane @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes we lost to Brisbane by 2 points, but it's only the first round look how good we were going after the first couple of games last year then boom we hit a wall, I'm gonna wait a couple more games before writing us off, geelong lost to Essendon last year but still made finals, just gotta see a couple more games first before writing the season off

We really missed Harbrow and Mckenzie tonight. hope they are back next week.[/QUOTE]

Both looked very underdone in the reserves. McKenzies kicking was class though. How Fiorini didn't come for Swallow is beyond me. Fiorini was the best player on ground in the reserves.

If Swallow is right for next week then he could have played tonight
That and a couple of player selections sent a message to the player group that tonight wouyld be a gimme
They were all looking to GWS before the ball was bounced

What a weak-ass team we are. Had all off-season to get up for that game. Saying that first quarter was an aberration is unacceptable. The same thing happened in the opening game a couple of years back against demons when we were raging hot favs, we got ambushed. The club has learnt nothing.

Rocket needs to go, seriously. Watching the cringy post-match interview shows how clueless and out of touch he is. Expecting atonement of sorts next week, but so what? Had to win that game tonight if we were any chance of finals this year.

Last edited:
By the way
It's NOT a long season
When you think you might be in the mix for the 8(lel) there are games you must win(tonight) games you might win(teams like St Kilda maybe Melbourne Freo)and games you might jag one or 2 "upsets" and the rest you lose to better quality opponents(eg Perth Adelaide Geelong Sydney GWS at home)
So, it's not really 23 rounds- it's actually about 14 that you can realistically expect to win
So to make up for tonight we already have to do something crazy like beat Geelong at Skilled Stadium or GWS next week.Makes everything so much harder

On a positive note, how good did Witts look! His effort was top notch.
I really hope your joking!!

I was at the game and Witts was ****** useless. The guy is absolutely massive, but doesn't jump at the footy in the centre bounces, looks way too timid and will surely be in the seconds most of the season.

On some of the other pickups over the offseason:
Lyons struggled early but was pretty good after half time, will be a very good pickup once he finds full fitness.

Barlow did what he was supposed to do, got plenty of clearances and was good in the packs. His effectiveness will be better if some of the runners can get more of the footy.

Hanley was terrible all night, really hoping he was just nervous against his old team and that this will not be the normal output for the season.

Bowes looks like a classy player, I actually thought he was pretty good most of the night.

Ainsworth was defiantly a little nervous early on, but improved during the game and will be an absolute gun.

Overall the game was lost in the 1st quarter, the suns probably should have run over them in the last quarter but just missed too many opportunities, I wouldn't be writing them off just yet.

Can't believe what I'm reading about Sean Lemmens, it seems like he's the new whipping boy, he played a good game tonight played his role and put his body on the line, and for the people saying drop him for Harbrow give me a spell, Harbrow was the turn over King of 2016 and he played a stinker in the 2nds today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope your joking!!

I was at the game and Witts was ****** useless. The guy is absolutely massive, but doesn't jump at the footy in the centre bounces, looks way too timid and will surely be in the seconds most of the season.

On some of the other pickups over the offseason:
Lyons struggled early but was pretty good after half time, will be a very good pickup once he finds full fitness.

Barlow did what he was supposed to do, got plenty of clearances and was good in the packs. His effectiveness will be better if some of the runners can get more of the footy.

Hanley was terrible all night, really hoping he was just nervous against his old team and that this will not be the normal output for the season.

Bowes looks like a classy player, I actually thought he was pretty good most of the night.

Ainsworth was defiantly a little nervous early on, but improved during the game and will be an absolute gun.

Overall the game was lost in the 1st quarter, the suns probably should have run over them in the last quarter but just missed too many opportunities, I wouldn't be writing them off just yet.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Witts did not do anything around the ground but thought he broke even around the contest (especially away from the centre bounces where there are more bodies around). The Suns easily won the clearances overall and Witts was making tackles but no link play at all. Given our rucks, that is just our reality . Not sure we can expect anything else from TomNich or Currie.

On the TV Hanley looked distraught after the game. Reality of a stinker.
Expecting a bounce back when he plays a non-Lions game.

Barlow and Lyons pretty much as advertised. Got better as the game went on.

Thought that Bowes was one of the few early on that showed some composure but he was cooked in the 2nd half (which happens to most rookies in game 1). Suspect a week off coming up.

Ainsworth showed something for sure. The review will show a couple of handballs were on for easy goals to teammates but he is hard and fast and skillful so that puts him in front of plenty at the Suns.

Can't believe what I'm reading about Sean Lemmens, it seems like he's the new whipping boy, he played a good game tonight played his role and put his body on the line, and for the people saying drop him for Harbrow give me a spell, Harbrow was the turn over King of 2016 and he played a stinker in the 2nds today

I suggest you re-watch the first half
There was a reason he went forward in the second

Its ok were going to do a reverse of last season... lose the first 3 and then play the whole year full strength and make finals.

In all seriousness, that first quarter was the most disappointing quarter of footy I have watched the Suns play.

Hanley - Was terrible i thought. didnt get out of 2nd gear. Didnt see him run at pace once ? has been devastating in 12 Clashes but not this one!!!!
Sexton - These sort of games is why i have never rated him, has these 8 - 10 possession games with no impact. Needs to get some consistency.
Schoenfield - just didnt look afl standard at all.

Wright played well i thought, if he kicked straight we win by 3 goals. usually is a great set shot.
Ainsworth - Looks a real player. great game, good pressure, 6 tackles, couple of goals and looks crafty.

I think Rocket went with too much inexperience for round 1.
We really missed Harbrow and Mckenzie tonight. hope they are back next week.
Agree with most of this except Sexton.
I think he was tagging Zorko - definitely after half time he was .
Zorko burned in first quarter 2 goals 10 disposals with tackles etc. He faded as game went on .
Think part of that was Sextons work - saw them scuffling together several times after half time...

Not a bad effort to get back in it. Think we just got a bit of first round shock. I thought we should have better prepared than that. Oh well, a lot more games to go.

That was hard to watch. First b/c we were so useless, then b/c we got so close.

Young Bowes = 1/2 a tick on potential. Did nothing after 1/2 time (cooked) but at this level he still has time with the ball in hand. Just like he did in the juniors and the NEAFL. Can't teach that.
Young Ainsworth = tick. Kid can play.

Young Ah Chee = stinker. Kicked an important goal, one nice handball, but looked cooked early and wasted 2 goals with clangers. 2nd year player so he is allowed a stinker, but still.
Youngish KK = close to a stinker. Not doing enough when he gets uncontested possession to make up for the lack of defensive pressure.

Youngish Touk = a better kick away from being a Gun right now. Does everything else so well.
Young Joyce = Gun in the making. Started from a long way back as a back end Rookie but making a Winx like run past quite a few higher rated players.

Awards for the Most Disappointing.
The midfield group in the 1st 20 minutes. Do something well, please. Hit a target, run hard to space, run hard to defend. Something. Anything? Bueller? Bueller?

The 2 dropped marks by Maysie in the 1st quarter that became goals. Turned it around but those hurt badly at the time. Someone had to stop the bleeding.

Sexton and Hanley (and Rosa to a lesser extant) along the flanks. Where was the run and spread? The line breaking run? The quality long kicks? Left it all in the stinking JLT.

We really missed Harbrow and Mckenzie tonight. hope they are back next week.

Both looked very underdone in the reserves. McKenzies kicking was class though. How Fiorini didn't come for Swallow is beyond me. Fiorini was the best player on ground in the reserves.[/QUOTE]

Agree can't pick Harbrow next week on reserves performance disposal was terrible at times. Mackenzie mabe - not because of form - more for matchup purposes against GWS talls.
Use of Fiorini baffles me - played half back the whole game - didn't play wing or forward or attend a centre bounce.
Its like they are training him to defend. Thought he was only average in that role.

Positives were Ainsworth, Bowes and Joyce all looked good and not out of place at AFL standard. Gaz's return looked good although he will never be the Gaz of 2014 again, Saad came back and really took the game on after his head knock, Tom Lynch and Steven May worked their way into the game after being beaten in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not here to talk any s**t.

Ainsworth looks like he will be a great player for GC. While I'm happy with McCluggage I had hoped Ainsworth would end up at the Lions. Also loved the Lynch-Andrews dual.

On another note, wtf was going on with the surface near the interchange. Looked pretty dangerous and if I was the suns players I'd be pretty worried of doing an ankle on that crap.

You know, we've learnt nothing. Melbourne did the same thing to us two season ago...totally ambused!! Hopeless mental prep. Utterly hopeless.

How can you walk out R1 and not want to go out and just rip it up!!!!! All out 100%%%%%??? How does that NOT happen....you haven't played a game that counts for 180 days; There's blokes in twos breathing down your neck, competition for a senior game has never been stronger....how??

And how does THAT affect 100% of the team? I'll tell you ...collectively they were led to believe something...that this game was a lay down! Seriously! Who is our sport psych???

Furthermore, the one strength, the one major improvement we had shown over the JLT was our running in waves out of the back half - tore the Dogs a new one doing that in that last game (first half, anyway). FAGAN saw it and duly prepared the Lions - massive fwd pressure delivered, we cough it up and boom, 7 big ones slotted before we could blink! Someone had to take charge in the middle after those first couple. Stem the momentum. No leadership.

I'm in a foul mood this morning and could go on and on. I'll use the one and only benefit from last nights game to get back on good terms...2 hours killing zombies for free at Time Zone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not here to talk any s**t.

Ainsworth looks like he will be a great player for GC. While I'm happy with McCluggage I had hoped Ainsworth would end up at the Lions. Also loved the Lynch-Andrews dual..

I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch puts in a rape case, Andrews had his hands all over him all game...gets away with murder except a couple frees in the last

Couldn't agree more. If Harbs is our saviour then we're in a world of pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back