Krozza

All Australian
Dec 11, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys!!
Thankfully we threw that s**t handball frenzy game plan out the coaches box window at half time. 3 JLT games with a lot more handballs to kicks.
First half last night handball, handball, handball until the Lions got plenty of players back then long bomb into the 50. 2nd half 30 more kicks to handballs and suddenly we were able to score.
All that handball in waves actually worked in the JLT. That was clearly Plan A last night. But Fagan also knew it!...we should've known that he knew it and had a get-out-of-this-mess-go-to Plan B. We actually owned the second qrt -75% of time in our own fwd 50. Result 1 goal, Lions sling shot out the back for 4!! Just totally disorganised and inefficient up fwd.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
I'm absolutely serious

Football isn't linear, multiple upsets happen literally every single week and yet somehow people are surprised by it every single time

Coaches know it, and that's why they don't make a big deal out of any results, because the gap between the winners and the losers is so small
In defence of your comment, we gave GWS a scare last season but 1 thing that has stood out is that we need to play 4 1/4's not 2 and 1/2.

I'm about to watch a replay, so no more comments until I do.

Bazza37

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coast Suns
Sloppy Slow indecisive indirect ball movement

Brisbane Lions
Skilful quick direct ball movement with purpose.

Suns giving silly free kicks away and dropping easy marks in front of goal also added to the pain.

After 7 years the Suns still don't have any forward line structure and players still clueless about kicking the ball to the forwards advantage.

It's appeared the Suns were a far more fitter and physically stronger team however less efficient.

The changes Eade made at half time seemed to work. However confused changes weren't made earlier.

It's only round 1 but there are already some worrying signs.

Looking for a better performance next week against the flag favourites

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ajsars

All Australian
Apr 7, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok so thoughts on the game (saw it live so probably missed some stuff).

Good:
Joyce - great shut down defender and uses it well
Ainsworth - something we have never had, a little angry man who goes hard and fast with some skill
Comeback - at least we didnt lie down and take it like a b**ch
Gaz - looked classy and not afraid of hurting his shoulder, will only get better
Barlow - did exactly what we recruited him for

Bad:
First half - wtf was going on!???
Lynch first half - yes he should have got some free's, but just wasnt working hard enough up the ground either. Just stood there with his hand in the air.
May first quarter - worst quarter of footy iv seen him play, made up for it in the end though
Manning up in the centre - no accountability at all. Even when we were on our comeback, Brissy just had loose men all around the ruck contest everytime
Ah Chee/KK - really poor game from both of them
Hall - yes he had good number by the end, but that first half was the epitome of why Hall got dropped last year. Laziest prick out there
FWD 50 entries - were woeful. to have 30+ more entries than Brisbane for only 1 more scoring shot indicates that we have big problems there.

I really hope we play well against GWS otherwise i cant see myself doing the 4 hour return trip the following week for the Hawks to see them get smashed.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So at 0-3 after the Hawks game will Rockets job be in jeopardy?

Watching the post match today and Rockets mannerisms were to matter of fact for me. Maybe just hiding his anger from the media but I think like many fans p wanted to see that it hurt.
No

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Watching the post match today and Rockets mannerisms were to matter of fact for me. Maybe just hiding his anger from the media but I think like many fans p wanted to see that it hurt.
Rocket seems quite good at hiding his angry or not getting over excited in press conferences. I'm pretty sure he would be hurting this morning. Often the pressure comes from the media first. If Buckley, Hardwick and Hinkley are going good after 4 rounds and we are not then the media go hard at him.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

No
We're not good enough to dump coaches mid season
If we win 4 games this year with a full list sure, he's under review
Don't think Port Adelaide, Hawthorn Richmond Freo Adelaide and the Lions lost any sleep over our "successful trade period"from that round at least

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I thought he looked furious and was trying to keep it together, particularly at the beginning

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have calmed down a bit.

Round 1 always throws up some red herrings as far as results go. I reckon we will be fine, GWS should get us, but Hawthorn looked pretty average and could be a chance to get by them, and then Carlton who we should get past, that would leave us 2-2.

As I say this Adelaide running over the top of GWS and walking it in. GWS with no defensive run.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
All that handball in waves actually worked in the JLT. That was clearly Plan A last night. But Fagan also knew it!...we should've know that he knew it and had a get-out-of-this-mess-go-to Plan B. We actually owned the second qrt -75% of time in our own fwd 50. Result 1 goal, Lions sling shot out the back for 4!! Just totally disorganised and inefficient up fwd.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Took Lynch half a game to start getting on his bike. The Suns need to have a plan B like have 2MP and Ainsworth stationed up forward and have Lynch hit up at the logos like Nick Riewolt in his prime and work back to the forward 50

Krozza

All Australian
Dec 11, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys!!
I have calmed down a bit.

Round 1 always throws up some red herrings as far as results go. I reckon we will be fine, GWS should get us, but Hawthorn looked pretty average and could be a chance to get by them, and then Carlton who we should get past, that would leave us 2-2.

As I say this Adelaide running over the top of GWS and walking it in. GWS with no defensive run.

Amazing RND 1 really....the upside for us, if there's any, is we will be 9th at the end of the round!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
No. Media pressure will come if we are 0-4 but he should be given this whole season. If we only win 4-5 games then under serious review.

No jeopardy at all - The Coch has signed off on his contract for 2017 in his blood. It's the first year Rocket has actually had a full squad and his system in place so should at least get a full year to be assessed.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
I have some old cigarettes I can give you if you'd prefer to stub a couple out in your butt instead- probably less painful
Gave up smoking 9 years ago, so you can pretty much do what ya like with those old butts.

Have a high pain threshold, really.. look @ who I support.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Watching the game now.. all comes down to our fwd 50 entries.
They are shocking it's just bombing in and hoping for he best every time.
This is what happened in jlt 3, we went from direct which was impossible to defend in the first half to just bombing in it in the second. It no different, we sure up our entries and it will be a different story come next week

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hall should not be allowed to kick into the fwd line either.. #butchersit
image.png

Delisted last year mate

You can say #hallsit now

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Amazing RND 1 really....the upside for us, if there's any, is we will be 9th at the end of the round!

Pretty hard to be 9th when there are nine winners who will have 4 points but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water (what ever that means) we were really good in the second half... I don't mind losing first up, lights a fire under us..
Bring Spitta back in, very tempted to bring in Scheer, i love that mongrel in him.. Harbrow for Lemmens... i reckon we will get GWS next week, losing Coniglio and the drug cheat hurts them a fair bit, they will struggle with our run and carry... I just hope its not windy..
Look we were woeful in that first quarter and then after that the umpires were on their side and every time they threw it on the boot it was going through..it was one of those games... expect a massive turn around at Spotless..

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just saying before the bye we play 5 finalists from 2017. The other 2 games are v Carlton and Port Adelaide (In China). After Round 18 we dont play another finalist but we do play the rising Essendon and Richmond.

Krozza

All Australian
Dec 11, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys!!
Pretty hard to be 9th when there are nine winners who will have 4 points but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water (what ever that means) we were really good in the second half... I don't mind losing first up, lights a fire under us..
Bring Spitta back in, very tempted to bring in Scheer, i love that mongrel in him.. Harbrow for Lemmens... i reckon we will get GWS next week, losing Coniglio and the drug cheat hurts them a fair bit, they will struggle with our run and carry... I just hope its not windy..
Look we were woeful in that first quarter and then after that the umpires were on their side and every time they threw it on the boot it was going through..it was one of those games... expect a massive turn around at Spotless..

Haha...yeah....make that 10th!

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Someone told me today we broke our record last night for inside 50 entries , yet lost to the spoon favs at Metricon . If you told me before the game we would have over 70 inside 50s and lose to brissy I would've said you'd have a screw lose . Lot has to fall at eade's feet here , we have the talent on the pitch now I believe but boys where not on to start with and where clueless going forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back