Review Rd 1 Review - !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (Freo Beat Adelaide by a Point - Praise be to ChapGod)

Remove this Banner Ad

The only positive i see after that is we wont be ruing that result for the next 21 weeks if we got beat.

How we won will be forgotten in 3 weeks.

Next 3 weeks at home are all winnable and with troops hopefully coming back there should be no excuses we should be able to set up the season with 4-0 start.

Still a lot of work to be done though i saw nothing today that stood out as any sort of improvement from what has been dished up previously.

How can we be 9th - 8 teams will lose, we WON!!!!!
9 teams win. 9 lose.
The winner with the lowest percentage will be sitting in 9th. ;)

• In the first two quarters I thought Clark, Acres and Henry were giving us some really accurate drive into our 50m, despite probably being equal or beaten in the centre as Taylor mentioned. The third quarter they clearly locked down on Clark, Acres and Henry spent a bit of time off the ground and Henry also only played as a forward in that quarter. Some of that came back in the fourth when it really opened up, and Young also came to the party in the fourth quarter as well with his disposal. Tucker got some disposal but I wonder how close he was to being the sub?
  • Switkowski run and efforts in the last were a huge part of us getting back in the game. The efforts of Banfield, Treacy and Shultz to keep harassing and tackling were also important in us coming back to win.
  • Banfield, Lobb, Frederick and Treacy missing sitters at key moments really hurt the team and the efforts of the wings and flanks felt wasted; I somewhat question some of the ones Lobb chose to take from outside of 50; perhaps he should have just focused on getting it in sooner? Frederick felt like he disappeared after quarter time as well.
  • Chapman was spanked a bit by Rachelle but that was perhaps not the best match up in hindsight - I thought Chapman did do some good defensive things and was okay on the rebound as well.
  • The floodgates opened up from the middle of the ground in the third; Crouch and Sloane got on top and were very effective against Serong, Brayshaw and Brodie; Meek was okay but I think Darcy coming back will make us less susceptible to this. Longmuir talked at half time about it opening up and it did, just not in our direction.

Just a bad game. Pretty much every defender this round has had a bad game. Seems to be the theme for round 1 with how fast the games have been played.
The problem is we usually have him as an interceptor. I couldn't work out who our interceptor was...

Just watched the last 2 minutes again. Shout out to Gerard Healy for calling out the umpires. Said the play on call on Brayshaw wasn’t a fair one with a fair bit of insinuation in his tone.
Hopefully he calls out the umpiring in general On the Couch this week, he was clearly not impressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should all chip in and get Kelli Underwood a couch. She’s obsessed with couches going on her commentary today!

I'll chip in for a ball gag so I don't have to listen to her again.

Banfield was okay. He tries. But HF is not his position. Should rotate inside the midfield.
Walters. I don’t know with him. Just play him close to goal near the talls. He’s too good to leave out but not up to it.
Henry needs to play a month at least for Peel. Get the ball on a string and work up the possession count
Banfield was NOT OK. He is not AFL standard and must be dropped to Peel to be saved only for back up. This nonsense of coaches picking him in R1 each year is ridiculous. I guarantee if Erasmus was playing instead of him we would not have had that momentum killer in Q2. That was the moment that almost cost us the game.

Just watched the last 2 minutes again. Shout out to Gerard Healy for calling out the umpires. Said the play on call on Brayshaw wasn’t a fair one with a fair bit of insinuation in his tone.
Hopefully he calls out the umpiring in general On the Couch this week, he was clearly not impressed.
I reckon Gerard has always been fair with us despite what some people have said.

I am going to do a weekly award of who missed the worst sitter when kicking for goal and see who comes out on top.

Today's Winner is Bailey Banfield for a shank 15m out right in front.

Honourable mention to Josh Treacy for his 4th quarter miss.

But Bailey gets the honours today.

The problem is we usually have him as an interceptor. I couldn't work out who our interceptor was...
I think he had the job manning up on a small forward. Clark and Young were running off half-back and intercepting so Ryan doesn't need to do that as much anymore.

Gerard doesn't do on the couch anymore.

Garry Lyon is the new host.

Ok so we are we good or not?

Don’t think so, we looked good when the Crows let us do what we wanted but still turned to water as soon as the pressure ramped up, same as last year against good sides.
But we showed heart at the end so that’s a good sign..
We really need to improve our bottom 6 though, not sure how Banfield is getting games at this stage, Acres is still soft, and unfortunately we are carrying Walters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back