Autopsy Rd 1 Wrap up and discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, the umps screwed us over. But that isn't why we lost. We lost the game in the middle. The telling thing for me is that we still had run in our legs at the end. Truth be told, Richmond wanted it more, and busted a gut trying.

Our mids need to be dropped down to the VFL. With guys like Ellard, Bell and Curnow, we have the depth to give the guys a spell to regain form. Apart from that, it's round 1. We'll beat the Pies next week.

Absolutely respect the opinion j but I think you're underselling the difficulty of the shot vs spotting up the free man.

I am a strong believer that a fluid team pplayis much more uplifting than someone doing something flashy.

Yaz had a serviceable game but missed one sitter which is bad luck but I think not doing the team thing re the brock centering kick is the inexcusable issue.

He was 45 out and ten in from the boundary. That's not a sitter for anyone mate. I hope he hurts for it and only improves as a player but he needs to learn.

quote="Jeremias, post: 27550462, member: 12453"]I have been critical of Yarran in the past for laziness and selfishness which both creep into his game at times but on this occasion I can't be critical of his decision to go for goal.

He had every right to take that shot and if the same situation were to arise in another game I'd encourage him to do the same.

Did you see his team mates encouraging him to run with the ball and take the shot himself rather than pass to McLean?

Unfortunately he missed, it happens. That wasn't an overly difficult shot for a player of his skill and I would back him to kick it through the big sticks from that position 9 times out of 10. Your argument may have a few more legs if he was 55 metres out on the boundary line, but he wasn't.

Had he kicked the goal this would not even rate a mention and we'd be celebrating how good he is rather than how selfish he is that he didn't pass it off. Sometimes this game is a game of inches and that is clearly the case here.

Why is it hardly mentioned that Yarran was one of the players that got us back in the game in the fourth quarter before his miss? He fired in the 4th and almost helped us get over the line in a game we had no right to get close to winning. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have even been in a position where a shot at goal could have won the game for us that late in the game.

The suggestion from some that he cost us the game is equally as ridiculous and not even close to being the case.

If he's dropped because he decided to back himself in and win the game for his club then I'll be sick.

You are already losing your own battle. Don't try fight someone else's as well, I can guarantee it won't hold you in good stead.[/quote]

Long time no read; long time no post…

Disappointing loss, but they all are. I half expected it after seeing preseason form.

• Hampson played well, but his best will never be great. He is also not a true forward, because forwards kick goals and relish the chance.

• Casboult doesn’t have the ‘yips’. He just cannot kick straight and hasn’t improved on this during his time at Carlton. Rowe should be played

• Gibbs finally looks comfortable in midfield. BOG for us

• Jamison back to his best

• Bootsma, Tuohy, Duigan and Joseph are all weak links. Laidler must replace Bootsma/Joseph to reverse a huge selection mistake.

• ^ those four plus no Laidler, no Scotland and Yarran up forward caused poor line-breaking run and sweeping from defence. Walker ran hard but he needed support

• 49 tackles is a s**t effort

Found the courage to watch the last qrt again.... Yarran 4 misses in the last was piss poor effort... Done nothing all game then weakened off again in the last.... Definitely got to hot for him... All those goals he would kick 99 out of 100 times at training but when the heat was on he melted. Wasn't there mentally all game.... Sort him out MM

One other thing I picked up last night, when we kicked a point, reckon the Tigers went coast to coast at least a half dozen times, they didn't goal everytime but got it into their 50 with ridiculous ease.

this happened to us a bit last year as well. We get opened up to wide on the spread if the other team comes back quickly

Understanding that not much was going our way throughout the 2nd quarter, particularly center clearances, our fwd structure seemed non-existant and with the fwd press I think it made it even harder to manufacture goal - 1 from 1 1/2 quarters.

Much better in the second half where we actually had targets to kick to & rove from (like Maric - lol)

Stick with Bootsma, if anyone can nurture talent it's Mick.

Sorry i disagree. (It may have been soft) but in front of the umpire? Did people see the pics of the umpire watching the whole thing? Hell, my wedding pics didn't turn out that good.....
How can it not be looked at?
Was a love tap. If Houli did the same to Yarran I'd be fuming if he got rubbed out.

Duigan hate makes little sense to me. I advocate the following: Get Tuohy out of our defensive half - just like Armfield, he should not be allowed back there until he has proven himself consistently.

Laidler in for Tuohy, Scotland frees up Walker to go forward again by replacing Joseph.

Leave Boots in the team! Enormous upside.

Best part is - our best 7-10 players last night did NOT include Murphy, Carrazzo, Simpson, Henderson. Nor did they include (for obvious reasons) Laidler, Waite, Scotland. That's a whole metric shedload of proven probable improvement - PPI. These are known knowns that WILL add a lot to the team at some point soon. (Please let Donald Rumsfeld know he's free to use my freshly coined, barely comprehensible, yet surprisingly apt phrase.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry i disagree. (It may have been soft) but in front of the umpire? Did people see the pics of the umpire watching the whole thing? Hell, my wedding pics didn't turn out that good.....

Each to their own but sorry the pics I generally look up on the internet do not normally involve umpires!! :p

Duigan hate makes little sense to me. I advocate the following: Get Tuohy out of our defensive half - just like Armfield, he should not be allowed back there until he has proven himself consistently.

Laidler in for Tuohy, Scotland frees up Walker to go forward again by replacing Joseph.

Best part is - our best 7-10 players last night did NOT include Murphy, Carrazzo, Simpson, Henderson. Nor did they include (for obvious reasons) Laidler, Waite, Scotland. That's a whole metric shedload of proven probable improvement - PPI. These are known knowns that WILL add a lot to the team at some point soon. (Please let Donald Rumsfeld know he's free to use my freshly coined, barely comprehensible, yet surprisingly apt phrase.)
Too much sense - and piss funny. :thumbsu:

I honestly can't believe the Hampson and Yarran hate on here. Was at the game, Hampson was the only one posing a threat in the forward line. He played extremely well but was let down by his kicking, hardly worth the roast he is getting on here...

And from my view at the game, Yarran was a bit of a catalyst for our late resurgence, providing excellent run and picking the ball up off his shoelaces sublimely.

If we had of won the game, these two would have been lauded for their efforts. The fact that we lost has made many of you turn to the faults in their games and settled on them being the reason we got done...

I swear this board borders on being as inane and illogical as the Facebook page after a loss. :eek:

Must've been one hell of a wedding if your pics weren't even as good as ones of a bloke punching another bloke.......

My take on it all... We had a few blokes in there short on experience. We have a new coach trying to stamp his style on a side that's used to playing running attractive football.

The guys short on experience will get it and get better...

Mick needs to work out some way of either marrying his style of play with our fast paced game style or work on a way for us to transition from our style to his.

He also needs to get our mids defending properly as well and some boys getting in and blocking for Judd, murphy and co.

THIS!!! too much sense here.

There's no way that Carrazzo, Simpson and other senior players will play at level week in week out - well at least we really really hope not.

I think the fact Judd was so impressive will help Murph in the future. Those who thought the days of tagging Judd were over are way off the mark. You can't tag Judd, Murph and now Gibbs - 2 of them will probably not get enough attention each week.

There were obviously too many senior players who are capable of so much more than they provided on Thursday night. To think that these players will not improve is just wrong.

Yep
Pagan
Ratten
99% of recycled players recruited by above
99% of early draft picks bar the number ones
President
Who are you after this now that Ratts has been given the arse?

While Pagan is guilty of recruiting Martyn... the rest of the guys selected were picked by the recruiters.

But you don't give a s**t about that so long as you can have your bash at the people working at the club...

Get over it... Elliot is never coming back to the club in any form of authority.

If you don't like how the club is being run... there are 17 other clubs so I'm sure you will find one that suits your requirements.

Tigers avoid an opening disaster:Jake Niall
The edge-of-seat outcome on Thursday night, while irritating for the Blues, wasn't a case of paradise lost for Carlton.

Carlton's loss was merely an opportunity lost, not a disaster. The Blues had more players with conditioning issues - in particular Chris Judd and Marc Murphy, who as Mick Malthouse observed, barely trained before Christmas.

In the short-term, Carlton can - and should - improve greatly on its first outing under Malthouse, whose game style and defensive mechanisms are far from instinctive to the Carlton players.

Collectively the Blues lacked the cohesion of a settled unit.
Tigers avoid an opening disaster:Jake Niall

No mention of our need to win clearances and harden up? :p :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back