Autopsy Rd 10 Blues rally late to hold out the Hawks

Who played well for the Blues against the Hawks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like the way Stocker is building and developing down back.

Our lack of composure at the start of the last was a really big concern.

Our turnovers coming out of defence in the first half were really poor, resulting in several shots on goal from the Hawks.

The above two points should be able to be worked through and minimised going forward.

Loved that SOS got through unscathed.

Really liking Doc on the wing, a lot more presence and effort when the ball hit the ground.

It has been interesting listening to several ex players and commentators make comments in regards to our defenders, that they get caught ball watching and that it was evident against the Hawks, this is something that should be easy to tidy up and I hope we are aware of it.

Our inside 50s, come on, sort it out, so many entries, week in, week out and a very poor conversion rate and several times yesterday, we had blokes running in to each other.

Lastly, it’s great to see Owies taking his opportunities, plenty of AFL traits to work with and plenty to improve, very happy for him,
Martin should help with the inside 50s

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don’t know what it is about Liam Stocker that some of our supporters don’t like about him but this is getting ridiculous. He kicked his first AFL goal and “only” a few players went to him, we trailed the game to that point. The celebration from Liam’s teammates gets compared to Jarryd Brander’s after 10 or 11 of his 17 teammates (all in the forward half) went to him. Zac Williams kicks a goal yesterday to put a good buffer between us on the scoreboard and it was like WCE players going to Brander and the first thought for some of our posters was to immediately think “how sad is Stocker right now?“. Like we should take enjoyment out of Liam Stocker possibly being sad.

The people who have ridden Liam Stocker, who would likely claim that they have friends of friends of friends of Carlton players, think only Liam Jones is Liam Stocker’s friend, because only Jones reached out to Stocker after he left the hub last year (I mean, no one bloody knows if that was the case as the only connection we have to these players is on game day). IMO, we should all just think everything between Stocker and his teammates is rosy because it is ridiculous to think otherwise. It really is.
When he kicked his first, everyone possibly thought he had already kicked one in his first couple of games, even the morons in the commentary box took a couple of minutes to realise it was his first.

Cas is depth now only. TDK plays AFL for the rest of the season
TDK plays AFL for the rest of the season, but after the bye, and CAS has got over his knee complaint, do we bring him back in for Pittonet? Or so we leave him in the VFL to rot while we may struggle with having 2 ruckmen out there who may struggle to kick goals?

Do you get VFL footy over there at all?
Streaming on Kayo freebies and 7plus... notice how I’m only going for the freebies version of Kayo... I hate having to pay Murdoch money, so if I can get it for free off him, I will :D

TDK plays AFL for the rest of the season, but after the bye, and CAS has got over his knee complaint, do we bring him back in for Pittonet? Or so we leave him in the VFL to rot while we may struggle with having 2 ruckmen out there who may struggle to kick goals?
TDK had more impact as a second ruck forward than cas has had -- with his hit outs he had 14 disposals a goal and a couple of looks -- i would run as is -with Cas as insurance -- tdk doesn't seem to have the mass or endurance yet to be the main ruck just now --not a Pitto fan but best way develop tdk in my opinion

Agreed, Newman is a better option than Williamson, and the switch of positions of Williams for Docherty has worked wonders. There's still room for improvement but it looks better.
Willo was working hard as the rebounding defender today In the VFL... the only problem was we don’t seem to have any tall KPPs to help defend or kick goals. So, a lot of his work was just coming straight back over his head.

Current helmet design doesn't help much. Something closer to the NFL helmets would, though also create a lot more broken fingers.
There's real and ongoing debate that those nfl helmets haven't changed the cte and concussion rates. Tackling technique had gone through the floor as players now use their heads as battering rams and weapons.

His style of play is the most selfish I’ve ever seen in football. He just jobs down back and runs routes to get meaningless possessions. He provides zero drive. He’s not a team player. And I pot him because I can. And because he deserves it. He’s a pretender.
You obviously didn’t see Kevin Bartlett playing did you. Kicking points instead of handpassing it to a team mate in the goal square.

There's real and ongoing debate that those nfl helmets haven't changed the cte and concussion rates. Tackling technique had gone through the floor as players now use their heads as battering rams and weapons.
They are now trying to ban helmet to helmet contact exactly because of that. And while you have the helmet to prevent your head from being caved in, your brain is rattled around like the egg on the dolls head ads from a fair few years back.

Rod Ashman, Garry Wilson, Nathan Burke.
I’d prefer to go with a rugby Union style helmet... which is pretty much what those guys wore for most of their careers. Daniels one is also pretty good, and would allow the clubs to put more advertising on the players gear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the time Levis knee is okay I think that Pittonet will be ready for a rest as well and we'll see Levi back in the team then. I think the intention always was to use him this year to give the others a small break here and there. Circumstances meant any plans would have gone out the window.

By the time Levis knee is okay I think that Pittonet will be ready for a rest as well and we'll see Levi back in the team then. I think the intention always was to use him this year to give the others a small break here and there. Circumstances meant any plans would have gone out the window.
I’d still like to see us nab Ottavi as a forward ruck as a backup/long term replacement for Casboult in the MSD. This would allow us to a ruck + forward/ruck combination with both Pitto and TDK rotating as first rucks, and CAS and Ottavi as the forward rucks. And having Ottavi as a forward ruck means we can also use CAS to rest Jones at times. Weiters doesn‘t needs a rest because he’s the freaking terminator!

My thoughts are that the AFL are between a rock and a hard place. But they are bookended by the need to be proactive in protecting the players from head injuries.
I really dont know what the answer is, because if the AFL respond to what the emerging societal demands are - to be protected from absolutely everything , then our game will be destroyed. All contact will be sanitised to the point where we may as well be watching lawn bowls.
Either societal demands start becoming more realistic* or the AFL and other sports will be left with no choice.

* We all on BF represent a particularly passionate subset of the football/sports following population. What we consider to be realistic, is not necessarily what Joe Blow average considers normal or acceptable. But somewhere a decision has to be made about what is "acceptable risk". If we demand that no risk is acceptable- like we have for example covid, then contact sports have zero future.
Or do we take the view that contact sports are "essential" , like we do for driving cars? You can mitigate to a reasonable level- eg strict drivers licencing laws, speed limits, .05 alcohol, seat belts, and accept the inevitable risks of driving and associated deaths/injuries when they happen, because you cannot make driving completely risk free, and it is deemed "essential". Or you can accept no level of risk and ban driving altogether.
Where we draw the line with contact sports like AFL, depends very much on what the general public, find acceptable risk.

I am staying with my sister ATM and she is a huge NRL fan so have been forced to, at least half watch, many more games than I normally would.

The NRL, apparently, have just cracked down on head high hits by sin binning anything that even remotely affects the head. Many were sin binned this weekend and it had , from my unbiased view, a significant impact on a lot of games.

Lucky we don't have the sin bin but I think it shows that the major contact sports are having real difficulty with the serious concussion issue.

I have believed for some time that our players should wear stack hats. I know it won't stop concussion injuries but I firmly believe it will lessen both the incidences and the severity of them. Also will assist in duty of care issues. Penalties, like traffic fines, won't stop it happening. Seat belts stop a lot more traffic injuries that speeding fines in my opinion.

I actually thought Pittonet wasn't too bad yesterday, has a real go at second efforts even if it looks a little awkward. Not sure that Cas is any better at those.

That's where the legislation about tackling legality comes into it.

They are now trying to ban helmet to helmet contact exactly because of that. And while you have the helmet to prevent your head from being caved in, your brain is rattled around like the egg on the dolls head ads from a fair few years back.
From an AFL perspective, I'd rather be wearing one when getting kneed in the back of the head whilst marking than not.

I'm really worried about our ability to run out games... every week we seem to be absolutely spent by the end.
Are the boys giving to much at training daily? is Russell not as good as he is made out to be? what's the go?

I don't think it's the training. IMO, it's the pace of the actual game and the way WE play it. Generally, not quite enough reward for the levels of running effort we put in. If we controlled our pace a little bit more and stopped burning the ball quite as much in our forward sorties we would probably have a little left in the tank at the end of quarters. That's how I see it but I'm no expert.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The way docherty played the wing just behind the contest suits his style as he is often unaccountable at half back - his body size and shape with Low centre of gravity is so suited to contested football-- before his first knee he probably would of moved into the midfield anyways..

Yep. It's a known fact that Doc was working into more midfield minutes before the first knee disaster.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lastly, it’s great to see Owies taking his opportunities, plenty of AFL traits to work with and plenty to improve, very happy for him,

He's been great. I just worry he may not have enough tricks to be our long-term permanent small forward.

Hope I'm wrong.

He doesn't strike me as lightning quick, but reading up on his basketball background it sounds like his speed and agility are his two biggest strengths.

Love his set shots, should be the poster boy for young kids learning. Technique and routine is flawless.

Absolutely loved our last quarter v hawks low scoring thats fine but a test they came at us hard we toughed it out kept them to 1 scoring shot and got physical more of that please .
Our tackling was a big improvement not brushed aside and some real physicality was good to see .

Yeah we can question our game plan and skill execution but can't fault the boys for their effort...it was a tough, physical game and we really cracked in. Commentators mentioned it a few times during the game as well.

I think overall our team's toughness and mental application have been pretty good this year except the Collingwood game and the last quarter vs Port (when the game was over although we actually won the quarter). Our team is showing resilience...which is shown by the fact we haven't been thrashed in a game since 2019...whereas even top teams like Brisbane, West Coast, Port & Richmond have been.

We just need to tidy up parts of our game plan and skill execution to make the jump. We're in a much better place than St Kilda for example who seem more mentally fragile.

Back