Autopsy Rd 10 Comeback aborted - Blues go down by 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect summary.

I actually saw worrying signs for crippa today. 4 or 5 times where he was trying to be too Hollywood and cost us a goal or shot on goal (and has done at crucial times multiple times this year) Does beastly things, but was dreadful a few times today. Ball security is very important in the middle. Love this kid, but a few learning points this year.
I think lack of clear options ahead of him, at times, made him feel like he needed to take the game on rather than going backwards.

Hopefully he learns his limits and plays within them (or stretches them) in future.

He has only played 50 odd games. Still improving.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Three or four bits of quality added to that list and watch us rocket up the ladder.
Wouldn't these two additions round the 22 and under side off nicely?

Plowman Marchbank Williamson
Byrne Macreadie Pickett
Fisher Cripps Cuningham
Silvagni Curnow Polson
Jacksh Weitering C.Cameron

McKay Kelly Petrevski-Seton

If we didn't have a team stacked with youngsters we would have won, seeing as we ran out of legs in the 4th.
I don't think we've won a single last quarter this year...kids just can't quite sustain it yet unfortunately.

This game, Saints & Melbourne we were right in it 5-10 minutes into the last quarter, only to be overrun and cough up late goals. But all 3 teams are far more mature than ours and further along in their rebuilds.

In a few years or even next year, we'll win these kind of games. Or at least our fair share.

Shout out to Ed Curnow who has been massive after a slow start to the season. Doesn't get talked about a lot, but deserves some kudos. The guy has been dependable and key to having so many young kids playing due to his epic fitness.

His skill and decision making has gone up a few cogs this season.

Adding to his accountability and gut running which have always been there.

I think lack of clear options ahead of him, at times, made him feel like he needed to take the game on rather than going backwards.

Hopefully he learns his limits and plays within them (or stretches them) in future.

He has only played 50 odd games. Still improving.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
It wasn't only the lack of options..twice going inside 50 with 4 or 5 options turned out disastrous. Two no look handball directly to north in the last behind centre..also disastrous..

Don't get me wrong, Love him a ton. Doesn't mean he isn't free from working on his game. Poor decision making at crucial times( this has been highlighted in a few other high profile error this year and is now a trend) and footskills below AFL standard.

Needs to work on this.

Still, can't wait to watch his next 200 for us

If we didn't have a team stacked with youngsters we would have won, seeing as we ran out of legs in the 4th.
I don't think we've won a single last quarter this year...kids just can't quite sustain it yet unfortunately.

This game, Saints & Melbourne we were right in it 5-10 minutes into the last quarter, only to be overrun and cough up late goals. But all 3 teams are far more mature than ours and further along in their rebuilds.

In a few years or even next year, we'll win these kind of games. Or at least our fair share.

I know which rebuild I prefer...

Da dada da da

Cuningham was always ready made for AFL. Works hard both ways, is tough, has leg speed and his skills are very good. He's just young. When he gets the experience and a bit more confidence he will make a huge difference to the midfield. Gun
I've taken a lot of your positive thoughts with a grain of salt this year Soapy...but scarily, a lot of it's coming true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shout out to Ed Curnow who has been massive after a slow start to the season. Doesn't get talked about a lot, but deserves some kudos. The guy has been dependable and key to having so many young kids playing due to his epic fitness.
His running is particularly important when you've got kids . He's covering them.

I know which rebuild I prefer...

Da dada da da

Hell yeah.

Saints and Melbourne have been 'rebuilding' for about 5 years and are STILL shaky and very up and down.

Considering the turnaround we've seen in just 1 and a half years, very confident that when we enter our 5th year under Bolts, we'll be serious contenders and far ahead of those 2 teams at the same stage.

For a loss there were a lot of positives.

A lot of guys played their best games. Gibbs, Cuningham, Charlie Curnow all had their best games. Would be one of Kreuzer's best games and we had a lot of high possession winners which are all good signs. Cunningham looked like he belonged at the level, he's got nice break away pace, he just lacks a bit of size for the way he plays. Gibbs, you couldn't ask for a better game of football from anyone. Kreuzer's form is phenomenally good. Ed Curnow, Cripps, Murphy, Wright, Docherty all excellent.

Loved Charlie Curnow's game, good numbers, couple of goals and 5 tackles. Thought his intensity and defensive pressure was up. Sometimes his hands let him down and his defensive and pressure acts/nouse but he looked good. Looked quicker and more willing.

Some of the younger guys are looking like they are due for a spell in the reserves. Petrevski-Seton, Fisher and Williamson had a quieter game but he still looked alright. Like how Sumner plays but he just doesn't do a lot, really needs to build a tank and start playing some midfield to be more use, he's a long way off. Bit of a surprise selection for mine. I know his VFL form has been improving but I would not have thought it was there yet. Others doing better. Macreadie will make it but he's got years of development to go into that frame. Fisher just a bit light and struggling with the pace of it all at this stage but he'll get there. I think we missed that big defender this week and it was a real shame Jones couldn't play.

We played well, we were cleaner than last week, our pressure was good but we just let them get a jump on us that was too hard to come back from. Again they are an all-round bigger stronger outfit than us and that shows week in week out, when our guys fill in a bit we'll be better.

Things are going well at Carlton, this second half of the season might be a bit of a challenge, especially if we get injuries but things are looking good.

Keep forgetting we are on a return trip from a hard slog in Perth with two down for half a game in atrocious conditions. No real surprise we ran out of legs, happy we got in front, would have been a waste of effort to get close and not take that next step. Progress will be when we keep the lead, experience and match fitness will help with that.

How bloody good was Cuningham's second goal....skill composure...all bloody class young man

The kind of player we need in terms of being known as a good player around the stoppage but can burst away.

Just looks like he's a kid who needs confidence and to believe he belongs at this level.
Will really help our midfield rebuild if he comes on.

No doubt Carlton of old would have folded like a maid and wow the blues just turned on the pressure 2nd qtr. Looks like Carlton is finally on the right track in terms of their rebuild playing some competing footy this year.

But North have just started their rebuild. We are the second youngest team in the comp and it's easy to pin blowing our leads on this fact. We have choked up 5+ goal leads all year.

How do the two lists stack up early on? I know we have the better McKay :)

Take as much out of the comeback as it deserves, Carlton were great and there is a lot to positives.

Let's put to bed this notion that North is playing a really young team. Carlton have been accused of not rebuilding properly by working out average ages and letting the experience core of Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson drag our average age and games played up, so I acknowledge the need to have a senior core around the young players. However, let's look at the two sides today.

AveragesNorthCarlton.JPG

North have more of an age spread with their future core in the 21-25 age range, whereas Carlton's are in the 18-23 age range. North aren't introducing many younger players at this stage. We still have to see those guys for the most part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back