• Gold Coast by 1-39

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Gold Coast by 40+

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 touches, 1 goal, 3 clearances, 3 tackles, 86%de in his first game. I agree, definitely not talented enough to be pumping games into. Seriously your username is footy smarts lol

No. Putting up some random numbers with no context to them doesn't convince me that he's a supreme talent we should be specifically concentrating on.

I generally don't think stats are a great judge of a player's performance and my main worry about Constable is I don't see what his elite ability is. Every good midfielder has an area of his game that stands out among the elite in the competition but with Constable I don't yet see an area like that. Of course it could come but he hasn't done anything yet to make me think he's got that elite level talent.

As for those stats you have to remember he was playing as our number 2 mid behind Kelly with Selwood, Danger, Duncan, etc spending a lot of time away from the centre. So being our 8th highest possession winner, equal 5th highest clearance winner and equal 6th highest tackler makes me say he played a solid role in his first ever game. But it doesn't make me think he's necessarily a star kid who's likely to become an AA type mid in future who we should pump games in to regardless of form.

Parsons in his 2nd game for 21 touches with 12 score involvements. That's a huge game for a forward pocket/flanker in anyone's book. But nobody thought we should keep picking him once his form didn't justify it. Not many were arguing for Narkle once his form dropped last year despite showing stacks in his first game. Many people here want Clark dropped based on form despite being an obvious talent. Almost nobody (except me) was wanting O'Connor picked despite being in good form late last year. It's just weird that a lot of the same people want an exception to be made for Constable as though he's too talented to leave out even when he's clearly struggling.

Constable played like he had the flu last week,the reason I'd have liked him retained for this week is no Dangerfield or Megarolla we are trying not to play Selwood inside at the moment,Duncans not inside that leaves Kelly Ablett and bits and pieces dragged from the forward half.We could have done without Parso.

and conversely surely they wouldnt take stanley on the plane if he wasnt right to play?
Hawkins in doubt?

I know the like to have emergencies available to cover both tall & smaller players - just not sure the benefit of a player having 2 weeks off or someone traveling who still has to pass a fitness test to play.

Rather with intestate games actually be more settled compared with questions over someone in the 22

If you're implying Guthrie WAS, who did he shut down?
If I recall correctly, he spent a fair bit of time running with Bontempelli who had 20 touches and two goals (one a very fortunate kick from the middle of the ground from memory).

For a player of Bontempelli's caliber, that's a fairly quiet game - flukey goal notwithstanding.

WE have named 8 backs in the 22 why the f--k would you have Zuthrie as an emergency?
Kolo Henry Stewart Blits Taylor MOC Tuohy Clark.

Clark has been playing on the wing the last 3 weeks, which would indicate he is currently part of the midfield group rather than the defensive group

No. Putting up some random numbers with no context to them doesn't convince me that he's a supreme talent we should be specifically concentrating on.

I generally don't think stats are a great judge of a player's performance and my main worry about Constable is I don't see what his elite ability is. Every good midfielder has an area of his game that stands out among the elite in the competition but with Constable I don't yet see an area like that. Of course it could come but he hasn't done anything yet to make me think he's got that elite level talent.

As for those stats you have to remember he was playing as our number 2 mid behind Kelly with Selwood, Danger, Duncan, etc spending a lot of time away from the centre. So being our 8th highest possession winner, equal 5th highest clearance winner and equal 6th highest tackler makes me say he played a solid role in his first ever game. But it doesn't make me think he's necessarily a star kid who's likely to become an AA type mid in future who we should pump games in to regardless of form.

Parsons in his 2nd game for 21 touches with 12 score involvements. That's a huge game for a forward pocket/flanker in anyone's book. But nobody thought we should keep picking him once his form didn't justify it. Not many were arguing for Narkle once his form dropped last year despite showing stacks in his first game. Many people here want Clark dropped based on form despite being an obvious talent. Almost nobody (except me) was wanting O'Connor picked despite being in good form late last year. It's just weird that a lot of the same people want an exception to be made for Constable as though he's too talented to leave out even when he's clearly struggling.

Not sure anybody has suggested he's any of those, rather just a promising young kid who has a knack of finding the footy (21.43 disposals a game) and is very good in congested situations.

Why he (seems) to be on the outer with the MC is anyone's guess; also wouldn't say he's " clearly struggling" based on one game (in which he had sixty three percent game time) after a twenty seven disposal game the previous week, been very consistent so far actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's been playing well in the VFL and has been in the bests in the past 4 weeks, then I say he deserves a call up.

That’s what has me bemused. I’m not sure who does the VFL wrap every week. I’ve watched all but 2 of the vfl games this year and I don’t see how he keeps getting a mention, he’s playing as a wingman and a very uncontested style which is fine but he doesn’t use the ball well enough to do it at AFL level. I’d be giving a game to Sam Simpson or James Tsistas (of course not AFL listed) before him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s what has me bemused. I’m not sure who does the VFL wrap every week. I’ve watched all but 2 of the vfl games this year and I don’t see how he keeps getting a mention, he’s playing as a wingman and a very uncontested style which is fine but he doesn’t use the ball well enough to do it at AFL level. I’d be giving a game to Sam Simpson or James Tsistas (of course not AFL listed) before him.

Well you're one......I was wondering how many Parsons haters have actually seen him play this year.....

Pack mentality seems alive and well.....

No one can predict the future but to say Parsons has more chance of making it than Constable is outrageous! Unless ‘it’ is a coffee in a little Pako cafe in the coming years after he’s been delisted.
Constable is not only a much better prospect but is already a far better footballer than parsons!

He’s got no more or less chance. The variables are too great to make a decision now. Two variables I can think of are Injury (Cockatoo had a better chance than all of them, as did Menzel), and Competition (there are some talented players who would miss out because you have more talented players of the same type in the team).

Talent is just one part of the equation.

That's my point he can't even get a spot in his best position.

And who out of our defensive group would he replace - Kolo, Henry, Stewart, Blits, Taylor, MOC, or Tuohy, and realistically it's O'Connor & Tuohy he is fighting it out with for a spot in defensive and both of them are locks ahead of Clark. Then when Bews gets back to full fitness he may well push Clark down another rung in terms of locking in a spot as a defender in the hoops.

From early in the season I was saying that I'd like to see Clark move into the midfield in the long term - something about him with his speed & his kicking where I thought that he'd be a more valuable player in that position. As a pure defender he may well struggle to hold a spot in our defensive unit as players are returning - so the choice would be to throw him in the deep end & play him on the wing where we can use his pace & kicking as a weapon, or send him back to the VFL to either focus on defence or learn to play on the wing there.

Well you're one......I was wondering how many Parsons haters have actually seen him play this year.....

Pack mentality seems alive and well.....

I may come across as a Parsons hater but really I’m a very interested observer. I’m a huge believer trusting the people in the know at the club as if they keep picking someone it must be for a reason. So I judge Parson more harshly (through no fault of his own) purely on the fact that he has been someone who’s name continues to bob up at the selection table. I personally haven’t seen anything change in the last two years that suggests to me he’s becoming an AFL player.
I think VFL football is great for showing who is a cut above EG go down to KP and watch Fogarty, Selwood and Constable run around and they just look a cut above the rest. To me Parsons just looks like another player running around. Of course footy is open to perception hence the reason we all disagree and I’m happy to be proven wrong but I just don’t think Parsons is in the best 25 players at Geelong.
In saying that though we as a supporter base have to be happy that we are bringing Parsons into the top of the ladder team as opposed to trying different players because players aren’t performing. It’s a good time to be a cats supporter!

And who out of our defensive group would he replace - Kolo, Henry, Stewart, Blits, Taylor, MOC, or Tuohy, and realistically it's O'Connor & Tuohy he is fighting it out with for a spot in defensive and both of them are locks ahead of Clark. Then when Bews gets back to full fitness he may well push Clark down another rung in terms of locking in a spot as a defender in the hoops.

From early in the season I was saying that I'd like to see Clark move into the midfield in the long term - something about him with his speed & his kicking where I thought that he'd be a more valuable player in that position. As a pure defender he may well struggle to hold a spot in our defensive unit as players are returning - so the choice would be to throw him in the deep end & play him on the wing where we can use his pace & kicking as a weapon, or send him back to the VFL to either focus on defence or learn to play on the wing there.
The initial question was why would you go with another backman Zuthrie as emergency when you already have all bases there well and truly covered this week,nothing more nothing less.
"WE have named 8 backs in the 22 why the f--k would you have Zuthrie as an emergency?
Kolo Henry Stewart Blits Taylor MOC Tuohy Clark."

I'm thinking that indicates Sav is a good chance of playing - surely he wouldn't be traveling to Queensland and have 2 weeks without playing any football

Could be. Or a good way to give him a strategic break (looked like he was in need of after Bombers game) but have him on hand if anything goes wrong late with Stanley (who's coming back from injury himself) or Fort.

Last edited:
Turns out that no one on the forum can do any better than a guess when it comes to predicting who will make it and who won’t... what a surprise.

Well yeah, but if we acknowledged that we were only guessing we'd have to stop infusing our posts with the pretentious, condescending and ultimately unmerited tone of absolute certainty that internet opinions are known for. And I would never be willing to abandon that. I refuse to live in a world in which I can't delude myself into believing all my uninformed hot takes are correct.

Could be. Or a good way to give him a strategic break (looked like he was in need of after Bombers game) but have him on hand if anything goes wrong late with Stanley (who's coming back from injury himself) or Fort.
Apologies for the intrusion, but is there any way Hawkins is carrying a niggle/is in doubt? Was going to bring him into SuperCoach in anticipation of his 6+ tomorrow, but I’ve had my heart broken by Chris Scott’s late changes too many times before.

The initial question was why would you go with another backman Zuthrie as emergency when you already have all bases there well and truly covered this week,nothing more nothing less.
"WE have named 8 backs in the 22 why the f--k would you have Zuthrie as an emergency?
Kolo Henry Stewart Blits Taylor MOC Tuohy Clark."

Maybe because the club is looking at it as being only 7 defenders - Kolo, Henry, Stewart, Blicavs, Taylor, O'Connor & Tuohy, and that Zuthrie is seen as coverage for the small/medium defensive options which would mean minimal change to the team structure.

Need to forget about the idea of Clark being part of the defensive group because that's not where he's playing . He has spent the last 3 weeks playing on the wing and would curently considered part of the midfield group - that is most likely the group who he would be training with and having meetings with etc.

The club has been very open about how players have been more specific in their roles and place in the side over the off-season and throughout the start of the season - Ablett is training with the forwards, his meets are with the forwards & he is absent from anything midfield related; Taylor's focus is on defence and nothing to do with the forward group etc. So the decision to move Clark from defence to the wing would have been one of serious consideration & not something made on match-day, and chances are it would have seen him also shift which group he is working with for trainings, meetings etc.

That being the case, on match day I'd suggest the club would be very reluctant to restructure the side & shift him from a spot & area he has been training & preparing for and move him into a unit he hasn't been working with. Hence why Zuthrie is traveling as an emergency & would be considered the 8th defender on the plane.

When also looking at the other emergencies who haven't traveled - Constable & Simpson, they have probably decided that both of them would benefit more form VFL match time compared with sitting on the plane & most likely not playing, because I'm taking a bet that Zuthrie won't be called upon to play & the apparent number of defenders on the plane really won't matter either then.

Apologies for the intrusion, but is there any way Hawkins is carrying a niggle/is in doubt? Was going to bring him into SuperCoach in anticipation of his 6+ tomorrow, but I’ve had my heart broken by Chris Scott’s late changes too many times before.
I'm hoping his fine because it would be annoying if your 198cm FF is spending 4hours on a plane totally unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back