• Gold Coast by 1-39

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Gold Coast by 40+

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one consistent theme of Geelong selection for many many years is that players with leg speed are given more opportunities than players without it.

Clark and Parsons over Constable just latest in long line of examples.
He is getting the Jimmy Bartel treatment early in his career. I don’t mind it. Chook will work through it.

Apologies for the intrusion, but is there any way Hawkins is carrying a niggle/is in doubt? Was going to bring him into SuperCoach in anticipation of his 6+ tomorrow, but I’ve had my heart broken by Chris Scott’s late changes too many times before.
Good question. I don't think he will come out but we're not trustworthy. I'd leave him out.

I may come across as a Parsons hater but really I’m a very interested observer. I’m a huge believer trusting the people in the know at the club as if they keep picking someone it must be for a reason. So I judge Parson more harshly (through no fault of his own) purely on the fact that he has been someone who’s name continues to bob up at the selection table. I personally haven’t seen anything change in the last two years that suggests to me he’s becoming an AFL player.
I think VFL football is great for showing who is a cut above EG go down to KP and watch Fogarty, Selwood and Constable run around and they just look a cut above the rest. To me Parsons just looks like another player running around. Of course footy is open to perception hence the reason we all disagree and I’m happy to be proven wrong but I just don’t think Parsons is in the best 25 players at Geelong.
In saying that though we as a supporter base have to be happy that we are bringing Parsons into the top of the ladder team as opposed to trying different players because players aren’t performing. It’s a good time to be a cats supporter!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Getting picked to play AFL footy is a pretty good start, getting picked again certainly helps. I guess you know more than the selectors though.

WE have named 8 backs in the 22 why the f--k would you have Zuthrie as an emergency?
Kolo Henry Stewart Blits Taylor MOC Tuohy Clark.
Who the * cares? Pick 15 defenders for all I care.
Stop them scoring wins the game.

If we bring our defensive A game we'll need only 10 goals to win it.
It was either Zuthrie or Constable or Simpson. The other two could benefit from a run in the reserves, particularly Constable.

Are we playing in Auckland or something?
2 hours each way

And if Tom or any player isn't 100% and they are facing a fitness test on the morning of an interstate match, I question why they are on the plane in the first place.

I know that players will play sore during the season, but why have players (named in the 22) unnecessarily fly if they were never actually going to play. I understand the need for a couple of emergencies to fly in case something unexpected happens to a named player.

Not sure anybody has suggested he's any of those, rather just a promising young kid who has a knack of finding the footy (21.43 disposals a game) and is very good in congested situations.

Why he (seems) to be on the outer with the MC is anyone's guess; also wouldn't say he's " clearly struggling" based on one game (in which he had sixty three percent game time) after a twenty seven disposal game the previous week, been very consistent so far actually.

He's on the outer because he's playing poorly and has been for a while. He's playing as a midfielder whose main job is to win the ball and is attending a lot of centre bounces. Yet he hasn't had a centre clearance in his last 4 matches.

Let's be honest in his last 4 matches he's had 2 stinkers (GWS and WB), an ok game where he didn't have much impact (WCE) and a game where he was good in transition but couldn't get near it at the contests (NM). That's not to slam the guy. Going through a run of poor form is normal and nobody's saying he should be tossed aside. But it's strange that dropping a guy who is clearly struggling is seen as shocking in his case (and yes for an inside mid without a defensive role he's done very little in the last 4 games).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember people saying similar things about young James Bartel and erroneous forward Cameron Ling early on.

On ling I was one of them!! Saw his first game against Port........next time I remember him was that memorable game with Buck’s blood on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On ling I was one of them!! Saw his first game against Port........next time I remember him was that memorable game with Buck’s blood on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just remember him kicking it out on the full from the goal square vs Essendon in his second game. My exact thoughts were "he'll never make it"

these are always danger game for me, ever since Bennell :mad: definitely deeply scarred by that day. will never crow early about how we'll crush any team. start the game like a finals, crush their spirit and souls by quarter time.
so Parsons is in. what position/role will he play? one would hope similar to what's he has been playing.

these are always danger game for me, ever since Bennell :mad: definitely deeply scarred by that day. will never crow early about how we'll crush any team. start the game like a finals, crush their spirit and souls by quarter time.
so Parsons is in. what position/role will he play? one would hope similar to what's he has been playing.
Yeah, they'd have to play him wherever he's been playing in the VFL, surely!

(But...where has he been playing in the VFL?)

Gee if ever anyone did that .. that must have been really feeling it... I mean really feeling it.

I used to know a Carlton supporter like that .. a long time ago , in a universe far far away.. he was like that. I said to him about cart before horse , smug before the fall and all that ..and I can still remember the utensil eyed cackle about it wont happen as we kick A ..an even if its does who give a rats ..cause next week we will doing it to the next team. I sort of think that sort ego bloated reality only comes from living in a place that success is ingrained and arrogance is inbred. Where football game attendance comes with a sort of scarfed anaesthetic , where results nearly always go your way when you barrack for this club.. and losing .. thats for the others..

So even in our era of 2007 thru 2011.. I always felt an underlying pressure , why, who knows ..cause not as if I could affect results..but still it was there.. that finally we had a decent side.. and a thought stream of please, please ..this time..lets make the most of it. And we did. That final Pies win in 2011 was the capstone .that gave us some sort certification of our era ... and to some degree it was liberating , it was like letting the doves free or walking into the party and belonging ..

.. and even after all that , after having one of the best win loss stats in living history I still never felt like I could say any of the bolded above. Maybe you have to be suckled on the success we had , like the Carlton supporter had , maybe when you experience the depression ..its pretty normal to hide money under your mattress while you have ample in the bank.

crush their spirit and and souls.. man .. thats really feeling it.

So sure , I feel we should win.. .. but crush souls .. Im just sort of hoping for a 30 point win.. and move on to next week. ;)

Last edited:
Why is it ?

I can remember Bartel saying years later - that Thompson told him directly - that this is how he wanted him to play - and if he didnt do what was requested he would be playing in the 2nds ( which he was ) and he would remain in the 2nds if he didnt change . Bartel said that very good - because from then on he knew what was required

Corey Enright had to play a hell of alot of good games in the 2nds till he got promoted - and Geel wernt a powerhouse at the time
Scarlo mentions this in his autobiography as well I think. As I recall Jimmy was severely criticised for being a ball chaser and had to be told directly to smarten up.

Haha good onya mate

Regarding your other comment about not noticing him to be a cut above the rest in VFL. I’ve read (not seen any games) that he often is a cut above the rest and even O’Bree has said that Parsons was dominating.

Either way, let’s just hope he has a good game and plays his role.

(a) he will find love with a local girl who will convince him to stay
(b) Parsons is good mates with Cam Guthrie who will be convinced by his manager to invest in a cafe so naturally when Parsons is unemployed he would give him a job. Mates look after mates

Lets hope that he can make coffee better than he plays footy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back