Review Rd 10: Your saturday night shellacking vs the Saints and the legendary Bytel

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading the Saints board, I feel very sorry for them. They are really hurting, their list is in no mans land. They have topped up with recycled players too early. They needed another year or two of solid drafting first. There is a solid core young group coming thru but I can't see that they have sufficient top-end talent to seriously challenge. If absolutely everything clicks, they could conceivably sneak into a preliminary final next year but that would be their ceiling.

The other problem they have is that they have now delivered 3-4 of these piss weak efforts during the last 10 rounds. Tells me the players either aren't united or the coach is not up to it.
They will be fine when Frawley and Ryder mature

Fun fact: The saints had 6 players with the first name of Jack tonight and they collectively did Jack sh*t!

My wife is not a footy watcher. She happened to watch a quarter with me tonight, and noticed our many Baileys. She genuinely thought that Bailey was primarily a dog's name and loved that the Dogs had so many of them.

Reading the Saints board, I feel very sorry for them. They are really hurting, their list is in no mans land. They have topped up with recycled players too early. They needed another year or two of solid drafting first. There is a solid core young group coming thru but I can't see that they have sufficient top-end talent to seriously challenge. If absolutely everything clicks, they could conceivably sneak into a preliminary final next year but that would be their ceiling.

The other problem they have is that they have now delivered 3-4 of these piss weak efforts during the last 10 rounds. Tells me the players either aren't united or the coach is not up to it.

I thought their 2020 was quite good and my expectations were that they would kick on from it this season, but geez, they’ve been very disappointing.

Not just tonight - their losses against Essendon, Richmond and Port Adelaide were all very poor.

I don’t want to reignite the Bont vs Billings debate in saying this as it’s been done to death but I absolutely think Billings should be better than what he is, I rate his ability very highly and he just does not produce enough.

On tonight’s effort and the efforts of their other losses, they need to go back to the draft for 2-3 years.

• The evenness of performance. Everyone contributed - even a seemingly low possession performance from McNeil hid the fact that he made 7 tackles (eq 2nd most for the side) five of which were inside 50. The only other player to have more than one tackle inside 50 was JJ who had three.
  • The pressure - of which McNeil's effort was just a sampler - was relentless. St Kilda simply disintegrated under it. In broken play we seemed about 80% certain to come out with the ball. Any time St Kilda had it we seemed about 50% certain to force a fumble or a turnover
I know that this was only an aside for you. But I was intending to write my own post about how much I rated McNeil's game. He didn't accrue much glory, but every time he popped up on my TV he was performing some awesome sacrificial act for someone else. I'm loving the kind of player he is, and I'm loving that Bevo clearly rates it too.

Normally I hate people staging for frees/50s. But I have to say I really enjoyed when Weightman drew the 50 and popped back up immediately like he landed on a trampoline with a barely suppressed grin as the rest of his forward line team-mates got all stroppy on his behalf. If you're going to stage for frees, doing it as an explicit troll is definitely the best way.

I thought their 2020 was quite good and my expectations were that they would kick on from it this season, but geez, they’ve been very disappointing.

Not just tonight - their losses against Essendon, Richmond and Port Adelaide were all very poor.

I don’t want to reignite the Bont vs Billings debate in saying this as it’s been done to death but I absolutely think Billings should be better than what he is, I rate his ability very highly and he just does not produce enough.

On tonight’s effort and the efforts of their other losses, they need to go back to the draft for 2-3 years.

Agree with every word of this, was expecting them to kick on too. Some of their performances have been unexplainable. I actually think they did the right thing by trading hard two seasons ago but it will be time to hit the draft again.

Choosing McCartin over Petracca will be their biggest regret. Petracca was the consensus number one and is now playing AA level and McCartin is out of the league. In an alternate universe they have Bont, Petracca and Naughton

Normally I hate people staging for frees/50s. But I have to say I really enjoyed when Weightman drew the 50 and popped back up immediately like he landed on a trampoline with a barely suppressed grin as the rest of his forward line team-mates got all stroppy on his behalf. If you're going to stage for frees, doing it as an explicit troll is definitely the best way.
Hardly staged. He was hit off the ball.

Oh, and I should say, the injuries are starting to become concerning. Yes, we are obviously covering them well at the moment. Thank God for our incredible midfield depth! But being 2 prime midfielders down in our rotation could well cost us next week. And one more midfielder down could become a massive issue. Fingers crossed this is where the injuries end!

Hardly staged. He was hit off the ball.

Sorry - you're right. To be clear, I'm not suggesting he fresh air dived. I'm saying he made the most of the contact to make sure the ref saw it. I don't like players doing that generally. But Weightman makes everything fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry - you're right. To be clear, I'm not suggesting he fresh air dived. I'm saying he made the most of the contact to make sure the ref saw it. I don't like players doing that generally. But Weightman makes everything fun.
He would of got 50 anyways even if it was a light tap. You cant touch a player who got rewarded a free kick who is going to line up for goal.

Apologies again for the lateness in posting, and as always feel free to ask any specific questions...

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 134/144 (+10)
SK: 38/33 (-5)

Centre Bounce Attendance
25 - Sweet
24 - Macrae
20 - Bontempelli
19 - B. Smith
18 - Liberatore
5 - Treloar
4 - Hunter
3 - Bruce
2 - Young

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
68 - Sweet (16/6)
6 - Keath (2/2)
6 - Young (3/1)
3 - Bruce (0/0)
3 - Hannan (0/0)
1 - Bontempelli (0/0)
1 - Cordy (0/0)
1 - Macrae (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 9
SK: 17

First Possessions
WB: 37
SK: 44

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 44/40 (91%)
SK: 31/17 (55%)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 77%
SK: 50%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
SK: 3

Score Launches
7 - Liberatore
5 - Dale, Macrae, Sweet
3 - Hannan, B. Smith, Williams
2 - Crozier, Johannisen
1 - Daniel, R. Smith, Young

Shots At Goal
WB: 39 (54%)

SK: 13 (38%)

Targets Inside 50
13 - Naughton
10 - Bruce
7 - Weightman
5 - Hannan
4 - Bontempelli
3 - Scott
2 - Hunter, Sweet, Young
1 - Johannisen, McNeil

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 4
SK: 4

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 11
SK: 25

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 42
SK: 41

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 5
SK: 13

No Pressure Errors
WB: 0
SK: 6

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Bontempelli, Dale, Keath, B. Smith

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 199 (Above Average)
SK: 189 (Average)

Q2
WB: 209 (Elite)
SK: 188 (Average)

Q3
SK: 164 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 188 (Average)
SK: 184 (Average)

Match
WB: 198 (Above Average)
SK: 180 (Below Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1134745

Score Sources
View attachment 1134746

Do you post the expected score somewhere prematch?

Apologies again for the lateness in posting, and as always feel free to ask any specific questions...

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 134/144 (+10)
SK: 38/33 (-5)

Centre Bounce Attendance
25 - Sweet
24 - Macrae
20 - Bontempelli
19 - B. Smith
18 - Liberatore
5 - Treloar
4 - Hunter
3 - Bruce
2 - Young

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
68 - Sweet (16/6)
6 - Keath (2/2)
6 - Young (3/1)
3 - Bruce (0/0)
3 - Hannan (0/0)
1 - Bontempelli (0/0)
1 - Cordy (0/0)
1 - Macrae (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 9
SK: 17

First Possessions
WB: 37
SK: 44

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 44/40 (91%)
SK: 31/17 (55%)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 77%
SK: 50%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 6
SK: 3

Score Launches
7 - Liberatore
5 - Dale, Macrae, Sweet
3 - Hannan, B. Smith, Williams
2 - Crozier, Johannisen
1 - Daniel, R. Smith, Young

Shots At Goal
WB: 39 (54%)

SK: 13 (38%)

Targets Inside 50
13 - Naughton
10 - Bruce
7 - Weightman
5 - Hannan
4 - Bontempelli
3 - Scott
2 - Hunter, Sweet, Young
1 - Johannisen, McNeil

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 4
SK: 4

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 11
SK: 25

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 42
SK: 41

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 5
SK: 13

No Pressure Errors
WB: 0
SK: 6

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Bontempelli, Dale, Keath, B. Smith

Pressure Gauge
Q1

SK: 189 (Average)

Q2
WB: 209 (Elite)
SK: 188 (Average)

Q3
SK: 164 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 188 (Average)
SK: 184 (Average)

Match
WB: 198 (Above Average)
SK: 180 (Below Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1134745

Score Sources
View attachment 1134746

21 shots on goal from clearances is ridiculous

Max King is the best young key forward in the competition

Max King is being paid $750k per year
Long may it continue while the Saints keep overpaying they will amount too nothing. Very difficult to buy your way to a Premiership now. Cant help but bask in the the schadenfreude of their folly in trying to do so!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back