Autopsy Rd 11, 2022 - Loss vs. Saints - Jack's 250th

Remove this Banner Ad

duck it'd be nice to see us kick 80 points in a game. Hell, I'd take that even if we lost 140-80. These scores of 50 or lower every week are absolutely brutal.
And that's the surprising bit to me. I knew we would be conceding a lot this year. Frankly, I expected a few 30 goal games against us. They key defenders are truly spudtastic.
But I thought against some sides we might be able to score 12-15 goals. That hasn't eventuated. We seem to have this odd mix of attacking game plan, or at least trying to go up the middle to allow options to be created, but players holding back in survival mode and not willing to risk a mistake.
Then making a lot of mistakes when trying to be risk-free, but absence of skills is another issue.

Lost by 10 goals or close enough.

Disposals: 384 -309

Inside 50s: 58 - 34 (large to them)

Clearances
: 31- 45 (large to us)

This "winning" the footy in effort is meaningless and has been happening far too long.

And that's the surprising bit to me. I knew we would be conceding a lot this year. Frankly, I expected a few 30 goal games against us. They key defenders are truly spudtastic.
But I thought against some sides we might be able to score 12-15 goals. That hasn't eventuated. We seem to have this odd mix of attacking game plan, or at least trying to go up the middle to allow options to be created, but players holding back in survival mode and not willing to risk a mistake.
Then making a lot of mistakes when trying to be risk-free, but absence of skills is another issue.
We are easy to play against.

That’s not the playing groups fault, that one sits with the coaching group.

I would rather them take the game on and make it uncomfortable for the opposition than meekly play a game of keeping’s off until the inevitable turnover comes.

Disposals: 384 -309

Inside 50s: 58 - 34 (large to them)

Clearances
: 31- 45 (large to us)

This "winning" the footy in effort is meaningless with our disposal and has been happening far too long.
You would think that our players know what’s coming when our midfield wins first possession? But it still amazes me that they are set up to only capitalise on a good entry, which is a unicorn with this midfield group.

Instead of looking for the better option these guys are more interested in getting on the boot and out of the area.

You would think that our players know what’s coming when our midfield wins first possession? But it still amazes me that they are set up to only capitalise on a good entry, which is a unicorn with this midfield group.

Instead of looking for the better option these guys are more interested in getting on the boot and out of the area.

It's a mystery mate as we work so hard to win the ball only to hack it like an under 13s team.

Problem is other teams deliberately set up against us knowing it's a hack kick and then it's like a training routine to destroy on outside.

Why we keep wanting to "win" the hard ball, with no outside gameplan, then ultimately lose badly everywhere else i'm very confused.

A lot of people have a soft spot for some of our battlers.
But we will be in a quagmire for years with players like Turner, Young and Hayden still on our list.

They’re just not up to the elite level
i reckon young could be ok, the other 2 not so much, and would be surprised if they get contract extensions. if froggy is the barometer they are surely goneski

I only just noticed my subscription went from $25 a month to $27.50. Only real sport I watch is North games (or half the games the way we are playing).
Yeah it went up last month but still freezes, won't let me log on unless I turn the TV off for 30 seconds or so and recommends sports i don't watch.

As I said, just like NM. Expensive and s**t.

$43 a month for NM membership knowing I can't go to a single game as I live in Cairns.

$27.50 for Kayo.

That's $70.50 the club costs me each month and they are a *ing rabble.

FMD.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to work on some Zone defence, this man on man is just killing us, we just end up chasing bums and being second to the ball after quarter time.

I will continue to stay positive but this comment is true.

I'm 41 and this is by far the worst North team i've ever watched play.

Laidley years were negative but at least had some backbone, this team doesn't.

It's excruciatingly tough to watch.
Laidley was a good game day coach, knew what he was doing made moves and so on mid game.
Certainly had his limitations.
Noble just moves players out of positions even when they are producing.
strange stuff going on these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints were ok but not all that impressive, they don't have as much top end talent compared to Dees, Lions and Dockers so can't see them going too deep in finals but they all do their role and have nailed down a gameplan. It's taken them a good couple of years to get to that point under Ratten.

It's a frustrating watch right now but I think Noble needs time to sort the club out but judging by some reactions I'm not sure he's going to get that time. Pretty obvious all areas of the club were not of high performance and need time to be rectified but results would want to improve next year, need to be in more games and hopefully more wins. Need to fix recruiting and player development, but that won't pay dividends for a couple years.

The gameplan and structural issues are there for sure but it's hard to judge when we are carrying many non-afl standard players.
I don't think we have good football IQ players either who can direct each other or switch on instinctively, I mean not having someone on the line to touch the ball, guarding dangerous space in a defensive 50 stoppage and basic skill errors and poor decisions.
Some of it is lack of confidence and the dropping of the heads when things start going against them on the scoreboard but there's not enough players with good skills, speed/endurance, intensity and good footy IQ.

We need to work on some Zone defence, this man on man is just killing us, we just end up chasing bums and being second to the ball after quarter time.
Noble has said that we’re playing a zone defense

It’s a ******* rabble.

We need to rethink the entire rebuild. That’s pretty clear.

Simpkin is turning into Ziebell 2.0, a slow, defensive liability, plodder, that hack kicks it to the opposition every clearance. At least Jack was a half decent kick in play, Simpkin turns it over every second touch then handballs to his team mates feet from 5m. His left foot is a thing of nightmares atm. I can’t fathom how s**t he’s become. Horrendous footballer atm.

LDU probably is never carrying a midfield, he’s been far from our worst this year, but he just doesn’t stand up consistently and it’s well past excuses for getting 15-17 touches in a game.

Here’s another project to distract yourself with. It’s for my sisters 50th which was a couple of months ago now, some rebuilds take time I guess 😬View attachment 1411981
It's fine, just wait till it picks up a " 2 week " caster wheel problem and you keep it around for 5 years before finally listing it on gumtree for a packet of twisties or a 5th round pick ..............

I will continue to stay positive but this comment is true.

I'm 41 and this is by far the worst North team i've ever watched play.

Laidley years were negative but at least had some backbone, this team doesn't.

It's excruciatingly tough to watch.

Laidley wasn't perfect but look at the list that was constructed during that time and the fact that each year we either made finals or produced some noteworthy performances.

ie - 2003 drawing with the eventual premiers, 2004 smashing the eventual premiers etc.

The era lacked plenty of course but up against the last 3 years it was like a run of premierships.

Not sure where else to put this but I can't believe we made Jack Mahoney the medical sub again against the Saints. THe only week they completely dropped him the VFL had the bye. FFS if there was ever a case of a guy needing to drop a level and rebuild some confidence that he appeared to lose when he did his ankle in round 5. Appalling player management!!!

The worst thing about this game for me was the feeling that while we are supposedly rebuilding, and JHF aside, I thought St Kilda had the three better performed young players on the ground in Windhager, Owens, and Wanganeen. We are not just going into games without hope, our kids aren't developing in this losing environment. People can continue to buy into Noble's sales pitch, but the facts on the ground aren't great.

The worst thing about this game for me was the feeling that while we are supposedly rebuilding, and JHF aside, I thought St Kilda had the three better performed young players on the ground in Windhager, Owens, and Wanganeen. We are not just going into games without hope, our kids aren't developing in this losing environment. People can continue to buy into Noble's sales pitch, but the facts on the ground aren't great.
100%.
Most of our young players (and seniors. Ah hell, most of the team) are flipping useless. They can’t even set the world on fire in the magoos. Go alright in preseason match sim though.

I was a gun basketball player in my backyard, game day though, I couldn’t even hit a granny shot

Lots of games are like this, some new opposition guy I have never heard of ripping it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back