Autopsy Rd 11, 2022 - Loss vs. Saints - Jack's 250th

Remove this Banner Ad

58 vs 34 inside 50s

That's the game right there.
Can't fault the effort but simply not good enough yet.

It isn't just the number, it is how it goes in and under how much pressure vs the opposition, it would be far starker if you compared quality inside 50s, as in inside 50s that where the ball carrier wasn't under pressure.

Is it worth trying Larkey in the backline for few weeks? He needs to learn how to contest packs and hit space on leads. Maybe he could learn from some opposition forwards. We sent Carey to CHB early on in his career for this very thing. too often he and Zurhaar are running to the same spots and getting in each others way.
Careful - he's not allowed to be criticized apparently.

Only the Head Coach. No one else.

So a guy with 5 disposals in the VFL will solve this?
I’m not disagreeing with this isn’t exactly what we need but he isn’t the answer next week, he needs time to get some form

I would say the issues Comben has at VFL are exactly the same as Larkey has at AFL level.

No support, double teamed etc.

Play them together and let them help each other out.

Last edited:
I would say the issues Comben has at VFL are exactly the same as Larkey has at AFL level.

No support, double teamed etc.

Play the together and let them help each other out.
Talked about it in the GD thread but McKay forward just to trial it for a game isn’t the silliest idea… rather have him down back but up forward is getting critical
GC17 in Darwin awaits and we could do with a smaller forward line

Comben just took a ripper contested mark in the VFL and converted. That's enough. Get him in. We aren't hawthorn of the 80s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jed Anderson absolutely fantastic.

Ball use not perfect sure (never has been), but he is a 100% committed warrior for our club and I absolutely love him.

12 tackles. 28 Disposals.

Would have been a far higher margin if he doesn't play today.

ps; Can't be bothered with all the negatives for now.....
The fact that we actually notice and like players who actually give 100% (which should be a non negotiable) is an indictment of the low standards that we have set as a club for too many years. It's honestly deplorable. I mean, isn't this the primary reason that Turner is in the leadership group? Because he tries hard and that's apparently good enough to be considered a leader at our club?

We just can't turn clearances or controlled ball in the back half into inside 50's. Half the time we do pull it off it's a ******* shocker of an entry. Our structures are rooted. Yeah the complete and utter lack of a second tall target down there is a big part of that, but it's not the only issue. Nowhere near enough leads, which I'm guessing is at least partially a symptom of not enough running in general. So much pointless jogging. Some blokes would be better off having a nap on the turf than jogging back in transition while the ball leapfrogs them.

As to the players... Corr was bipolar once again. Some excellent some dogshit. Young wasn't as good as recent weeks but Kyron was better. Scott seemed to carry on with what has become a pretty solid season. Arguably should have tried to use him to destroy Hill like last time around but w/e. Paul Curtis looked fatigued, hopefully the Bye recharges him. JHF is such a brutal player when he's switched on, but unfortunately he is prone to just giving up. Bit hard to blame him half the time. Jed was really good, very happy with his game. Jy needs his kicking license revoked, he'd be better off handballing into the turf most of the time. I feel sorry for Larky, he does some bad/silly things sometimes but he has so so so little good chances to actually impact the game that I'm not going to judge him until he has a genuine partner down there.

Overall I'm just disappointed we couldn't get ourselves up and about for an extended period today. I genuinely checked out halfway through the third and barely paid attention after that. Deflating.

EDIT: Goldy looked switched on the whole day, good intensity for the captains 250th 👍

Negative: That is the first time since I can remember that I actually turned off the game before 3qtr time.

Positive: Got a little bit gardening done, played some pool. Stayed off the beers.

More positives than negatives so I'll take that.
I left at half time went to spray blackberries ..

Not good enough from our experienced players again.

Dropped marks from Turner.
Greenwood finishing with 7 disposals.

Larkey triple teamed all game. Needs support desperately.

Need more from LDU and TT...both resting on their laurels.

Jed and JHF can hold their head up high. Both kept trying until the end.

I thought Corr and Walker didn't do too bad again given how under the pump they were.

Sack the development coaches. Youth players aren't kicking on.
Gavin Brown seemingly has tenure given how long he's been there and how poor our development in general has been over the years

In the d50
Take a mark. Walk back 3 steps. Kick sideways. Mark. 3 steps back. Kick sideways.
Mark. 3 steps back. Kick direct to opponent

I'd be okay with an offensive play style if it was actually offensive, there is a lack of running, overlap and players getting into space when we have the ball. We are okay at stoppages, get enough of the first possession but we just hand the ball over and make WAY too many mistakes.
Perhaps when the team were told to play offensive football they mistook the meaning...

Because they are offending most football supporters the way they are playing.

Every game justifies the departure of the recruiting team.

Farck even Mason Wood looked like a gun Today.
That's more an indictment of the development group. Wood always looked a million bucks, but could never piece it together properly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back