Autopsy Rd 11, 2022 - Loss vs. Saints - Jack's 250th

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the game.
The effort was there.
We just aren't any good.
But that is the issue. Regardless of effort and intent, if the game style and set up is majorly flawed, then that effort amounts to nothing.

You can see players slowly drop off as they realise that no matter what effort they present, it will break down because we are not being coached to play a sustainable brand. In fact it’s hard to see any type of brand.

This sits with Noble, you can have as many internal metrics and small gains as you want, but unless you can get the right structures and plan in place all it amounts to is trying to put your fingers in the dam wall and when a ******* truck has driven through it and left a gaping hole.

I can imagine how unenjoyable football is for the players, because as a supporter it’s horrible to watch.

I’m not sure you can call eating a plate of s**t sandwiches nourishment?

All teams do is turn up and take a s**t on our spud farm which leads to the production of more spuds or even spuddier existing spuds
Not an excuse, but I think confidence might be playing a part too. I get the feeling that at the moment most teams see us as an easy kill. But because of our poor conversion when we do have an opportunity, we continually * it up. As fans we can talk all we like about logistics, but we just need one thing to go our way. It's not going to make a hell of a difference in terms of ladder positions but it might get their spirits up, and alter a few things.

Probably a big straw-clutch, but the re-build was set as midfield-first operation, and in those areas we did better statistically than them today.

So we got the ball from stoppages, then messed things up. Things would have been different if there had been less error in our chains - and players had been accurate in front of goal.

I agree with everyone who was saying get Larkey on the ball or in defence as well. Why was a largely disposal-free tall wasted when we were getting butchered?

The most uninspiring ball movement you’ll see. I can completely understand why people aren’t going (I did and do so don’t start). What are we actually trying to do with the ball? I can’t see anything resembling a system or at least an attempt at a system.

Also, how the * were the saints able to switch the ball and run done the wing with an extra so easily, over and over again?

We should be playing Larkey at CHB.

A McKay Larkey Corr backline is a big improvement on what we have atm.

We need to start winning contests and controlling the ball between HB and Wing.

Let CCJ and Xerri and Cobden and CZ be our Forward options.

ATM, I am sick of seeing Larkey being double and triple teamed and not getting free kicks he deserves.

When we are in a stronger position list wise, we can return Larkey to the forward line, if we have the depth.
We are permanently down a KPF, you want to remove the one we do have to shore up the backline???!

Since round 1, we have made no moves to try to address the black hole that is our forward line.

Address this and you get:

• HBs, mids and wings with something to kick to
  • half a chance of getting a half-smdecent entry into f50.
  • the opposition score cut in half as they are no longer allowed to waltz from HB to HF without a care in the world.

Moving Larkey would mean we may not even kick a goal in a match. We need another good aerial threat to complement him and a tall, smart leading type that can average at least 5 marks a game. Zurhaar is not this.

Until we address the forward line, we will be stuck to the bottom of the ladder.

Not an excuse, but I think confidence might be playing a part too. I get the feeling that at the moment most teams see us as an easy kill. But because of our poor conversion when we do have an opportunity, we continually duck it up. As fans we can talk all we like about logistics, but we just need one thing to go our way. It's not going to make a hell of a difference in terms of ladder positions but it might get their spirits up, and alter a few things.
Totally....even on the teev the lack of confidence is obvious, must be tough staring down the barrel of yet another smashing but knowing you are expected to create/be a part of fast-moving, high-skilled forward chains

What I do sometimes is don’t update the scores on the phone for 3 or 4 minutes hoping in some bizarre twist we have had a run on and got a goal. Often disappointed when I refresh the scores and the other side has kicked 2 goals with 5 inside 50s

Last edited:
l came back from the game thinking of how some of our players are an enigma...
TT> 11 possessions till 3/4 time doesn't show enough with the amount of talent he has. l thought he would have been better than Wells but am having second thoughts. Maybe still having issues with his ribs. Seems to go unsighted for a lot of the game.
LDU > 8 possessions till 3/4 time. Goes unsighted for a long period of time during games..
Simpkin> gets lots of possessions but doesn't hurt the oppositon that much . Needs to work on his disposals..Currently not captain material..
Xerri> if he wants to leave let him..

McDonald> next captain by a mile. Epitomises what North Melbourne is ...never say die..
Goldy> always tries and did well today..
Larkey>needs to be moved away from FF and played as a CHF seeing he spends most of his time around that area. His marking is his problem and he needs to work on it..
Hayden> not a backman. wouldn't mind seeing as a Tagger..
Curtis, Taylor, Scott and Perez are the part of our future.
Our backline needs McKay back in a hurry.
Anderson> so glad he's back. Some players should look at his game and learn by it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I can be honest I only watched the first qtr because I was sitting with an absolute dilf and he got my attention the whole game.

I was too busy focusing on other things 😉
Wash your bloody hands

A lot of people have a soft spot for some of our battlers.
But we will be in a quagmire for years with players like Turner, Young and Hayden still on our list.

They’re just not up to the elite level
I’d also include Greenwood, Perez, Xerri, Mahony, Lazzaro in that list. All one paced plodders.

I think we have been a little unlucky with the draw, if Carlton and Port win, we will have played 9 of the top 10 inside the first 11 rounds (has a wooden spooner ever had such a hard start the season?) and we haven't had our best team on the park. This isn't an excuse but it feels like we have been pushing up hill since the start of the season and haven't been given the same chances as some of the other teams in our vicinity.

The feed at home froze on this image for about 3 minutes. Picture, a thousand words, etc
img_20220529_153204_hdr-jpg.1411735

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_153204_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220529_153204_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 479
I’d also include Greenwood, Perez, Xerri, Mahony, Lazzaro in that list. All one paced plodders.

I've said this around here a number of times before but I really don't think pace is the issue.

The ball moves quicker than players do. If a team executes their skills cleanly and moves the ball quickly, they look fast even if the players aren't. Things like being one-touch below your knees, making the correct decision quickly, not fumbling and just hitting targets by hand and foot take you a long long way.

I personally think skills and fitness are the two biggest issues, not the players natural athleticism necessarily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back