Autopsy Rd 11 Blues create a contest but fade in the last

Which players were in your bests against the Eagles today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Played with a bloke like Geoff Hayward.
Big strapping bloke with heaps of natural ability and kicked like a mule.
Not sure the game was the be all and end all to him at the time though as he once enjoyed a cup of coffee while resting in the goal square.
Knew his footy though and a great, fun guy ...

Noice.

the footage they use in the movie is Percys first game as coach, 1980.

WoW Jones goes all Bruce Lee on Peter Moore at the centre bounces.

....and the legless sister of course.

Right up there with Dons Party.

You know very well it is also the decisions they don’t pay that influence the result.

We had dozens of tackles where the Eagles player had more opportunity than SPS to dispose of the ball, or they outright dropped it, which should have been paid as free kicks if the umpiring was consistent.

Care to guess why Shuey pointing, and screaming, at the umpire was considered less of an offence than SPS asking the umpire if he was serious? Only one cost a 50 metre penalty and goal.
Absolutely, happened in another game last week And 50m was paid. You cannot point at an umpire unless you are a west coast player. Joke!

Umpire 22 is a good umpire, has been for a while. Was far too hot on that SPS holding the ball decision but the AFL will come out and say it was the right call, because SPS didn’t try and get rid of it. Personal attacks on umpires are too far, try to be better.

Umpires are in the hub, away from their families and trying to adapt to these ridiculous new interpretations. I thought the umpiring was poor today but I think the AFL has a huge problem with the rules and their interpretations. If the umpires can’t be clear on their decisions, what hope do supporters have?

Thought big moment was Kennedy getting dumped to the ground on tackle after 3rd quarter siren went. No player got in there and stood up for him.

On HTC 2PZF1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree. This has been the case for years. We have been focussed on recruiting nice guys and haven’t put out a team which can intimidate the opposition with a ferocious attack on the ball let alone defending our own, since our halcyon days back in the 90’s. For years other teams have pushed us around and we don’t seem to react or defend our own. Look at the teams who have built premiership dynasties, Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and now Bitchmond, they have all been tough no nonsense teams which were bigger and stronger that the rest of the league and no one pushed them over without repercussions.
Would be great to recruit some bruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree, thought Cottrell played well for his first outing. Showed some composure and deserves another run.
I wonder if Cottrell could play HB. Gives us some much needed speed out of defence. And free's up SPS to move up the ground

Yes what is it with our exits always sideways first short then opposition set on our half forward for the turnover-- not just SPS either -- only weitering looks to drive the ball on exit

Did you notice Weitering's two awesome long kicks tody ? - one a 50 meter bullet into the guts for a mark and the second a running 70-meter punt into the forward fifty which should have been marked? Weitering is growing with each game- Kennedy couldn't shift him - the only strategy the opposition have is to lead him away from the contest area...

Dont know, i was watching sps get caught holding the ball (twice of which resulted in wce goals) and kicking these useless short 15-20m kicks, while our mids get out, causing the opposition to catch up to our mids. What were you watching?

haha alright mate...fair enough, it wasn’t a typo, you just have little understanding of the game...been accepted both HTB (at least one) were likely umpire error...most of those “15-20 m kicks” turned a contest situation into a clear possession for us, And took excellent vision, rather than others who bombed down the line to an outnumber contest...you can pick on a few today, but most played good games...we played 10 minutes of poor footy where our engine room couldn’t get their hands on the ball and the defence had little chance on those entries...but if you want to scapegoat players, go right ahead...

Probably not the right thread to say this but ill admit when im wrong. Herecomesjuddy said melbourne are gonna finish higher than us on the ladder this year and he was spot on about that. I think thats cause of their age bracket being closer to their primes though. I still believe only gold coast match our young talent

I wonder if Cottrell could play HB. Gives us some much needed speed out of defence. And free's up SPS to move up the ground
I wouldn’t mind seeing this, couldn’t be any worse a one on one defender.

Midfield needs a change up. Consistently getting killed on the spread. Too slow, get Walsh in there. You have a bonafide star midfielder and you are playing him on the wing. I know it’s because he offers more on the wing than any other options but the midfield isn’t cutting it. Teague is getting a bit frustrating with the same old slow setups.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Said it alot..Dow ...we need him 2 develop..hes quick and can get it in tight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like last week. Gave up a winning position and caved in .
No leadership, Murph, Cripps, Curnow, Docherty, and to a lesser extent Simpson.
How about trading Cripps while he has some value to the Dockers, two first rounders, or a first round and a decent player. Get a couple of experienced mids who have played finals.
Season is now shot, play Dow, McCreadie, B. Silvagni, Honey, Philp, L. O'Brien, Ramsay.
Rest, Murphy, Cripps, Curnow, Simpson, Docherty, Newnes.
Very disappointed with the club. 20 years of failure and still a losing culture that runs very, very deep . The club does not stand up for itself to the AFL, poor president, never hear from him.
Years behind St.Kilda and Brisbane in re build and culture.
Yes, we have lots of injuries, but are they injury prone when recruited? C. Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Cunningham. Russell isn't doing any better than his predecessors in keeping players on the park.
Teague? I dont know, get Hodge. At least he would tuffen them up.
Sorry for the rant, but I have had just about enough of this crap from the club I love.
I get your frustration, take a breath though. Cripps isn't going anywhere, Russell is only 12 month in, it will take much longer than that to right the ship.

Teague is still learning, I'm equally frustrated by his inability to stem a flow of goals.

Plowman didn't do alot wrong today.
I used to worry about his kicking, but he's one of few who seems to be able to open the game through the corridor with a tight kick.

Jones on the other hand... Does an amazing defensive job, but as soon as he looks inside for a kick I have to admit my hoop loosens.

Was this really the week?

We lost by 3 goals and change to the premiership favourites, at their home ground, with 5 of our best 6 forwards missing for the bulk of the match, when our boys haven't slept in their own beds in 6 weeks. Even in those circumstances, we controlled the game for large periods of time, had to contend with some contenious umpiring that went the other team's way, and still walk away ruing our missed opportunities...

Last week was the one that got away. Expecting us to chase one back against West Coast in Perth was setting yourself up for disappointment, to be honest.

Unfortunately, we're still in a transition period. Murphy, Simpson, Curnow - they still have to step aside. But if you were watching today, you would have seen De Koning, Cottrell, Fisher, Kennedy, Setterfield, Walsh - all adding something to the mix.

At least lets save the flagellation for the really bad losses?
I expected a fight. Not another 7 goal roll over. If they had fought the game out and gone down by a kick, then fair enough. There is no one who will stand up and lead the club?. Yes, I was pleased with TDK, but why wasn't he rucking in the third? Maybe I missed him. Cotterell was better than Moore, Fisher good to see him back, willl be better with the run.

And our forward line falls even further apart. Pitto is a brave throwback ruck. Can't do much other than ruck. For the rest of the season, or close to it, play TDK as ruck and let him learn Tim English style. At least we will know where the boy sits in the plans at best, he wins ruck contests, clunks marks and grows his tank.

A bit off the tangent you commented on, I know. Maybe shows a bit about Teague's slow response time too.

The game was lost in a couple of crucial coaching errors

Ed starting on Shuey rather than Kelly, at least he made that change and played a part to swing the game our way. Why that was relaxed after half time is perplexing

Stated before the game, give TDK back half of each qtr as a minimum. When Pitto went down, TDK held his own and was another reason for us kicking away in the 2nd. 3rd qtr, not one single ruck involvement for TDK

Tempo footy in the first half, made us more balanced, allowed us to set defensively and win the territory battle, as well as the scoreboard. Non existent in the 2nd half

Martin going down hurt

No imagination in adding speed, run and carry through the backline, no imagination in releasing Doc from being nuffified. You just can't sit on the fence as a coach

Back