Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Another hard game to watch and a hard loss to stomach, i have not been excited by our last two games and i honestly don't think Bolton can recover.
Ive been quite critical the last few weeks so i don't want to keep flogging a dead horse. I did however have a few points i wanted to share and to see if anyone thinks similar or disagrees.

In a few game this year, the last two especially, we have players who have barely touched the ball and have had little, to no impact. Yet it seems like Bolton lets the game continue in the hope that these players will just bounce in to gear and start playing well.

Cripps has been well down the last 2 games, which is a worry but it seemed today that nothing changed to help him get in to the game. Did anyone not if his role changed, what was done to get him through this.

We had Kennedy who barely fired a shot all day, what was done to get him in to the game.

The one that annoys me more, is Gov, i know he didn't play today but two of his games he has barely touched it, yet he played the same position all game. The guy can play defence, can play an extra defender, get him in to the game. If some of these guys are confidence players and they aren't touching it, move them around, get them in to the game.

We didn't adapt well today to playing in the wet and like my issues with the players not being changed around, it seems our game plan didn't change after the rain came.

Good to hear you found your feet.. I’m 2 weeks in and mentally scarred.. rejected a job last week as after a bit of research found out some stuff that spooked me off their culture as well. It’s the second time in 20 years I’ve had this type of experience at work and what I kick myself with is that I had another job offer the same time that would see me involved with the sporting industry but I rejected that as I thought this particular job would be better for me in the long run.
Hang in there JJ. It will turn around.

Cripps can go up gears in intensity. He just wills himself into contests and through traffic. He wasn't doing that today. He wasn't using his strength to shrug off. He was almost surrendering in some tackles by his standards. Clarke isn't the sort of player who would lower Cripps' colours. He's had enough and that makes things terminal.

Circuit breaker imminent.

I will be surprised if he isn't talking a trade with his management. Or at least discussed the option.

One thing that pissed me off today, Stocker gets the desperation smother, gathers the ball, delivers inside 50 to Harry. When a young player does stuff like that, get the * around him! But no, only one player gave him a high 5 and thats it. That to me is a sign of the players not invested in this game, the coach and the club.

In April 2017, we can all no doubt recall that under Bolts we beat the Bummers at the ‘G in seriously wet conditions. It was a heartwarming performance, in which we showed a better will to win and a far superior intensity than our opponent, and in which we adapted very well to the wet weather conditions. The contrast to today’s non-performance could hardly have been more stark. Ffs, we have just endured two goalless quarters and gifted * it’s lowest score against since 1989 (if I heard the commentators correctly - I may not have, because tbh I was pretty much catatonic by then).

Imo, with few exceptions (Weiters, Stocker, and Charlie spring to mind), today our players collectively showed no brains and little heart, and it certainly didn’t look to me like they were playing to keep hold of their embattled coach - quite the opposite, in fact. Apart from most looking bereft of talent (typically despite their high draft positions), our young players appeared confused, overwhelmed, and well down on belief, and over the past few weeks our more senior players and our only available co-captain have looked and acted like they are totally jaded and frustrated (Daisy’s undisciplined outburst against the ump, followed by his off-field brain explosion, is a case in point, as is Crippa’s recent downturn in form and his body language, which imo is morphing before our eyes from exasperated to defeatist).

To the extent that Bolts has ever been on top of his role and had buy-in from the players - which, personally, I think he has been and has had right up until the North debacle - 4 out of our last 5 performances suggest that he as a coach, and we as a club, have now badly lost our way. In short, our 2019 season and the whole rebuild appear completely off the rails, and getting them back on the rails without a new head coach is looking increasingly unlikely. The key issues for me are 1) whether Bolts is getting the most out of our list, and 2) whether our systems and structures are up to standard. Regrettably, on recent evidence, I would have to give him a big thumbs down on both of those scores - that is, we are underperforming badly, and we look clueless, especially around stoppages and when kicking inside 50. Of course, Bolts is definitely not the problem, but he’s now a big part of it imo, and the fact is that the head coach is always the part that can more easily be changed than many of the other contributing people and factors.

Imo, the question is rapidly changing from if Bolts will go, to when and how he will be replaced. I’m genuinely disappointed that things look like turning out this way, but imo there’s an enormous difference between trust and “sticking to the plan” on the one hand, and blind faith and a blank cheque for the coach on the other. Unfortunately, I think that we’ve crossed from one scenario to the other over the past month or so, and something has to give as far as I’m concerned. As a club, we’re facing some serious **** in the days, weeks, and months ahead, and imo how we negotiate those major challenges will have repercussions for years to come.

A very large golf clap for you Sir. I think you have summarised the situation perfectly. In the first 6 weeks we were stiff not to win 2 or 3 more games, but the last month, except for an emotionally charged effort against Collingwood has shown me that the belief has gone, the will has gone. It appears to me the players have no confidence in the Coach or his methods.

I feel for Bolton though. Had we been on the luckier side of a few umpiring calls, we could now be at least 4-7 and building nicely. It is that fine a line.

The club as a whole is NOT broken.

There is no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

People like Andrew Russell, SOS, Agrestra, even Dale Amos are all part of the solution.

It is pretty obvious now that:

- Coach (Bolts) and most of the assistant (Barker, Teague, Stanton) are hopeless

- Midfield demographics are killing us at the moment

This is Bulldogs (McCartney) situation. It can be solved if we get a better conductor.

Not if the orchestra isn't good enough.

Did Bolton really say the effort was there today in the press conference? I can't bring myself to watch it in the fear I will lose my ****
I haven't watched a Bolton PC all year. Waste of time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that pissed me off today, Stocker gets the desperation smother, gathers the ball, delivers inside 50 to Harry. When a young player does stuff like that, get the **** around him! But no, only one player gave him a high 5 and thats it. That to me is a sign of the players not invested in this game, the coach and the club.
Has been a huge problem at the club for years. Most of our so-called senior players are incredibly uninspiring leaders.

Disappointed in Cripps’ sulking the past 3 weeks tbh. Know he’s frustrated but it’s not sitting well with me.

Hope he cuts it out.
I said it at the time, the Collingwood game broke something in him. He set himself all week to win that match, talked a huge game in the media, backed it up by playing as well as anyone possibly could, and still in the end we fell (comfortably) short.

Needs to reset mentally, hopefully a new coach can kickstart that process. Because we are proper ****ed if he leaves.

One thing that pissed me off today, Stocker gets the desperation smother, gathers the ball, delivers inside 50 to Harry. When a young player does stuff like that, get the **** around him! But no, only one player gave him a high 5 and thats it. That to me is a sign of the players not invested in this game, the coach and the club.
I know the player that tagged our best player today and he couldn’t believe how easy a ride he was given by the opposition.

What a genuine disgrace !!!

For anyone who thinks Bolton is still the man - please explain how Fasolo was the deepest forward 80% of the time when we kicked forward.

Let me remind you this isn’t the first time this year that this has happened !!!!!!!!!!

Like I said earlier, can't wait for the On The Couch boys to point this out....again... :(

A very large golf clap for you Sir. I think you have summarised the situation perfectly. In the first 6 weeks we were stiff not to win 2 or 3 more games, but the last month, except for an emotionally charged effort against Collingwood has shown me that the belief has gone, the will has gone. It appears to me the players have no confidence in the Coach or his methods.

I feel for Bolton though. Had we been on the luckier side of a few umpiring calls, we could now be at least 4-7 and building nicely. It is that fine a line.
I definitely feel for Bolts too BB, and I agree with you that things were broadly on track up until North, despite our disappointing solitary win. As you say, in those opening six rounds we were highly competitive and unlucky not to win 2 or 3 games, and imo we were developing a brand of footy that would enable us to attract and retain quality players.

It’s startling how quickly the wheels have fallen off, but unfortunately imo once the wheels have fallen off they can be damned hard - if not impossible - to put back on. Unfortunately, I fear that over the past month or so we’ve reached that point of no return - the belief and self-belief of all and sundry (supporters, players, and possibly administrators and coaches) seems to have evaporated.

It’s all very depressing really :cry:

Last edited:
It’s over. We are cooked, I’m just stunned that Bolts can keep a straight face in the presser. Perversely impressive in terms of the depth of his delusion. The bye will be when the axe is swung. I hate to say it but we are a rabble. It just makes me sad to see our great club dragged through this humiliation over and over. It is indefensible and a shameful. I will always be a blue boy ALWAYS, but this sh*t.must stop now.

Back