Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
For anyone who thinks Bolton is still the man - please explain how Fasolo was the deepest forward 80% of the time when we kicked forward.

Let me remind you this isn’t the first time this year that this has happened !!!!!!!!!!
yep, because bolton has no idea how to get the team to methodically move the ball up the ground. the only way he knows how to do it by kicking down the line to the big forwards in packs but this draws them up the ground, leaving fasolo/jsos/gibbons inside 50 outnumbered. rinse and repeat x 100.

LouderNowBlue

Senior List
Dec 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Can someone with a knowledge of gameplans and how football is played please explain to me the following:

1) why we don’t have someone set up goal side of stoppages when in our defensive 50? How many times have opposition players just walked through a clearance and kicked a goal?

2) why we don’t tackle? I don’t mean miss tackles, I mean blatantly make no attempt to run at the person carrying the ball and tackle them?

3) why can’t we kick the ball into our forward line?

4) why does it always look like other team have more players in every part of the ground which is mathematically impossible?

5) why can other teams switch the play to space but when we do the defence is already set up?

Thanks

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I definitely feel for Bolts too BB, and I agree with you that things were broadly on track up until North, despite our disappointing solitary win. As you say, in those opening six rounds, we were highly competitive and unlucky not to win 2 or 3 games, and imo we were developing a brand of footy that would enable us to attract and retain quality players.

It’s startling how quickly the wheels have fallen off, but unfortunately imo once the wheels have fallen off they can be damned hard - if not impossible - to put back on. Unfortunately, I fear that over the past month or so we’ve reached that point of no return - the belief and self-belief of all and sundry (supporters, players, and possibly administrators and coaches) seems to have evaporated.

It’s all very depressing really :cry:

Could not have said it better myself BT. Are You sure you aren't me?

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Can someone with a knowledge of gameplans and how football is played please explain to me the following:

1) why we don’t have someone set up goal side of stoppages when in our defensive 50? How many times have opposition players just walked through a clearance and kicked a goal?

2) why we don’t tackle? I don’t mean miss tackles, I mean blatantly make no attempt to run at the person carrying the ball and tackle them?

4) why does it always look like other team have more players in every part of the ground which is mathematically impossible?

5) why can other teams switch the play to space but when we do the defence is already set up?

Thanks
Your in the wrong place ...........;)

Jeffy38!

All Australian
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
yep, because bolton has no idea how to get the team to methodically move the ball up the ground. the only way he knows how to do it by kicking down the line to the big forwards in packs but this draws them up the ground, leaving fasolo/jsos/gibbons inside 50 outnumbered. rinse and repeat x 100.
Our young players lack of confidence comes from not having enough experience out there today. Skills suffered, decisions were poor. Bolts said he couldn't get his msg to the players effectively because of not having runners, consider the lack of experience on the field and you can understand why the young guys struggled.

LouderNowBlue

Senior List
Dec 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Your in the wrong place ...........;)

I know this is a joke. I tried to laugh but tears just came out with a prolonged kind of whaling type sound.

Everything is grey. Not even my apple pie and vanilla bean ice cream made me happy.

I’m just sitting outside in the rain but I don’t feel cold.

Aug 20, 2011
Keilor
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll report in and perhaps provide some pics from Waikiki when I get there.

It’s been looking good, I think next week with an earlier game I might be due for a surf instead, finding myself angry watching games. Not much enjoyment at the moment. I curbed my white line fever 2 years ago, don’t want it back and the awful game we are playing won’t help.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Our young players lack of confidence comes from not having enough experience out there today. Skills suffered, decisions were poor. Bolts said he couldn't get his msg to the players effectively because of not having runners, consider the lack of experience on the field and you can understand why the young guys struggled.
today they were extremely inexperienced no doubt. not sure which nobel prize winner decided suspending daisy was a good idea this week of all weeks.

but the ball movement issue has been pretty consistent every since docherty got injured. i thought our ball movement was pretty good in 16 and 17 but as time goes on the more i'm realizing that it was 100% docherty and 0% the coach

Jeffy38!

All Australian
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks
I can explain, a lack of experience and a lack of onfield leadership. We had 4 players with more than 100 games. Simply we didn't have the leadership out there.

Jeffy38!

All Australian
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
today they were extremely inexperienced no doubt. not sure which nobel prize winner decided suspending daisy was a good idea this week of all weeks.

but the ball movement issue has been pretty consistent every since docherty got injured. i thought our ball movement was pretty good in 16 and 17 but as time goes on the more i'm realizing that it was 100% docherty and 0% the coach
So, he is an experienced and exceptional player. The players who've tried to replace him don't have his talent. Our team has little depth and little experience so whenever we lose an experienced player it hurts us greatly.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I know this is a joke. I tried to laugh but tears just came out with a prolonged kind of whaling type sound.

Everything is grey. Not even my apple pie and vanilla bean ice cream made me happy.

I’m just sitting outside in the rain but I don’t feel cold.
Its a game you know. There is much more to life even if we bleed navy.

Nov 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, Melbourne City, OKC
And why's that? The club off field is going the best it has.
Why? What did Judd do?

I just don't understand why Bolton has to be the one that takes the knife when all these people were a part of this process.

Judd is on the board overseeing the football and list management profile.

They all have a stake in where we are at right now.

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Glasgow Rangers
Could not have said it better myself BT. Are You sure you aren't me?

Tbh BB, I’m not too sure of anything after the trauma of watching our latest capitulation o_O

But seriously, I find this forum therapeutic, as it reassures me that at least some other supporters think and feel the same way that I do.

Tbh, a large part of me feels like I’m betraying Bolts, but an even larger part knows that there’s no value in living in denial, and apart from the Pies, pretty much all of the signs since the Hawks have been dire.

Imo, the winds of change are becoming irresistible.

Kruezing

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks
Ask Jimmae ...

Ash05

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Albury
AFL Club
Carlton
I used to enjoy footy. I used to look forward to the weekends and plan my weekend around when Carlton played. I loved the escape from reality for those 3 hours. Footy was my escape. It provided so many good times. Many friendships. Many weekends away with mates. Footy, especially the Carlton Football Club, has just about broken me. The last 20 odd years, football, has been tough. We as a club have been through a torrid period with only a few glimmers of hope. Very few sustained periods of hope. This season hurts most of all. To me it is worse than Pagan, even worse than Malthouse. I was excited for this year. This year was the year to enjoy footy again. To really enjoy those 3 hours of escape. I had expectations of improvement, of being competitive, of playing disciplined footy, attacking footy, I was expecting 6 to 8 wins, hoping for more. Footy has become stressful. Hard work. It has not helped with my mental health. I feel broken. I feel empty. I have tried to not care. I hate coming home and have my daughter laugh at me because Carlton lost again. I hate that we have lost a generation or more of supporters. I have tried giving up. But I love the Carlton Football Club. I can't not care. Things need to change. I want to enjoy my footy again. I need my escape. I need to feel good again.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
What a shocking weekend... got up at 4am to watch the champs league final only to have my heart ripped apart in the first minute... then waited all day to watch the rubbish our lot dished up against a very very undermanned Essendon side.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I just don't understand why Bolton has to be the one that takes the knife when all these people were a part of this process.

Judd is on the board overseeing the football and list management profile.

They all have a stake in where we are at right now.

I would say. You can follow the right process, have the right plan, make the right call at the time and be wrong. Thats how i feel the board or selection for the committee for the coach should feel. By all reports we did everything by the book and Bolts pitch was great, doesn't mean if it doesn't work out, that the concept was wrong.

The club off field is going great, the list management/drafting has been good with some poor mistakes in hindsight and perhaps cutting too deep, its also common knowledge that we have missed out on a lot of senior targets.

If the club decide that Bolts has lost the players or that we simply just shouldn't be as bad as we are then he is on the chopping block.

You can be the best coach but if the players your coaching lose faith or don't believe the plan that your pushing, it doesn't mean anything.

Back