Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone with a knowledge of gameplans and how football is played please explain to me the following:

1) why we don’t have someone set up goal side of stoppages when in our defensive 50? How many times have opposition players just walked through a clearance and kicked a goal?

2) why we don’t tackle? I don’t mean miss tackles, I mean blatantly make no attempt to run at the person carrying the ball and tackle them?

3) why can’t we kick the ball into our forward line?

4) why does it always look like other team have more players in every part of the ground which is mathematically impossible?

5) why can other teams switch the play to space but when we do the defence is already set up?

Thanks
We have a very young inexperienced team. That's a fact. Kids can't do second and third efforts yet. Plenty to work with. Russell will need to work his magic.
"The night is darkest before the dawn".

Nope, and nope. Time to move the **** on from these two and Murphy. Should be the first three moved on from the list at seasons end. Does nothing for us having them rack up games any longer. As bad as we are.
So you want to get thrashed by 50+ each week for another 2 years until the kids we have just drafted become 100 game players? They will be beaten mentally by then.

You need experience out on the field to control momentum and make sure the gameplan and structures are being followed otherwise we will break the kids and they will start leaving and then we become GC.

Seeing the way Cripps has been playing the last few weeks, is just so heartbreaking. He doesn't care anymore, i don't blame him.

You don’t have to blame him, but you have to hold him accountable.

There’s a worrying and concessional school of thought emerging around Cripps. If we all quietly decide it’s ok for the captain to give up, then what are our expectations for the rest of the list?

4) why does it always look like other team have more players in every part of the ground which is mathematically imposible

Thanks

I have often wondered this as of late... Almost every match this year we're either second to the ball by a mile or look completely out numbered.

We have a very young inexperienced team. That's a fact. Kids can't do second and third efforts yet. Plenty to work with. Russell will need to work his magic.
"The night is darkest before the dawn".

While that is an acceptable answer for a lot of issues (skill errors when fatigued, poor decision making, missing tackles)

I’m a bit miffed that at the very least someone would realise we need to stand on the DEFENSIVE SIDE OF A STOPPAGE IN OUR BACKLINE BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN SCORED AGAINST BY PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH THE STOPPAGE ABOUT 4 TIMES A GAME THIS YEAR.

You might be young and inexperienced but that is just either pure stupidity or the coaching set up is wrong.

It’s the same as the tackling. So many times our players run past a guy with the ball trying to run back to a defensive position instead of approaching the ball carrier. They just continue to run the ball and bounce it until finally someone thinks ‘gee maybe I should put some pressure on the ball carrier’ and then they pass it. That forced disposal should be occurring in their half backline, instead it becomes an inside 50. It is a natural instinct of a footballer to attack the ball, these guys have dine it their whole lives. There is something making them run into a position like that and it’s doing my head in.

Who is the fool who bagged people like me for pointing out Kennedy is hopeless in transition? I will put it politely: that was not a good display of AfL football. He was regularly run off by elite athletes like....Heppell and Parish. To be clear I was being sarcastic when I called them elite athletes. Please stop calling him a bull. He can’t lay a tackle or break a tackle. He’s undeserving of the tag. He’s not an AFL standard player. And won’t ever be.

kennedy was getting a game in the GWS midfield in 2017 at their peak alongside ward, coniglio, whitfield, shiel, kelly. it's astonishing that he's not best 22 at our club who apparently have the worst midfield of all time
Gee I hope today was an aberration then, he was shocking today in ideal conditions for him

I thought Cas was good again in defence

When they moved him there I thought it was going to be the worst experiment in afl footy.

He played well but I put it down to Ben Reid being the perfect match up for him.

He's now backed it up with another two very good performances.

I don't know whether to eat my hat or prepare for the apocalypse. Either way, happy to say bravo to the big Boult.

Who is the fool who bagged people like me for pointing out Kennedy is hopeless in transition? I will put it politely: that was not a good display of AfL football. He was regularly run off by elite athletes like....Heppell and Parish. To be clear I was being sarcastic when I called them elite athletes. Please stop calling him a bull. He can’t lay a tackle or break a tackle. He’s undeserving of the tag. He’s not an AFL standard player. And won’t ever be.
My faith in him is definitely on the decline.

Port Adelaide / Primus comes to mind too.

No idea if getting a new coach / coaching group will fix anything .. maybe it is the players? But the club has been driven into a corner now by these performances. It simply has to act ... we have 2020 to worry about and there are three main groups we need to sell hope to:

1) Members
2) Existing players
3) Players we hope to lure through trade / free agency (unlikely)

Unfortunately there are only 2 ways to generate hope from where we are at. One would be winning/improvement but that isn't happening. The other is change.
Mark Neeld and Melbourne is more like what we are.

The cutting of the list, high draft picks, young kids, little to no midfield leadership or experience to protect them that's where we are at.

Bolton just has a friendlier face.

What we need to be careful of is scarring the youth in the list. Jack Watts talked about this in an interview after joining port.

Repeat losses will inhibit development. This is what the board needs to stop asap. We continue to foster a losing culture, it will be difficult to break and these highly rated kids will never reach their full potential

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

SOS has to be in the fun too. He’s turned a whole playing list over, brought in several lemons for costly picks whilst also benefit from several high draft picks. Getting in the likes of McKay and Walsh does not overshadow the picks that have been burnt on players that were not up to Afl standard. You’re a great of the game SOS, but your list manager skills resemble David McKay - I.e. you have no idea how the hell they got to 200 games

SOS's strike rate with traded in players has been pretty poor. But he's burnt next to nothing on them.

They've been clearance bin stuff. Not particularly surprising when he's brought them and they don't work properly. You get what you pay for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone with a knowledge of gameplans and how football is played please explain to me the following:

1) why we don’t have someone set up goal side of stoppages when in our defensive 50? How many times have opposition players just walked through a clearance and kicked a goal?

2) why we don’t tackle? I don’t mean miss tackles, I mean blatantly make no attempt to run at the person carrying the ball and tackle them?

4) why does it always look like other team have more players in every part of the ground which is mathematically impossible?

5) why can other teams switch the play to space but when we do the defence is already set up?

Thanks
These are all extremely good questions.

Answer: we have the worst coach in the AFL

Effort

Skill

Kennedy, SPS, Fish, Dow, Setters and Cripps can’t gut run

See answer to (4)

Thanks

I have often wondered this as of late... Almost every match this year we're either second to the ball by a mile or look completely out numbered.
We don’t have enough mids who can produce multiple efforts. Walsh. Gibbons. Ed. That’s it right now.

I just don't understand why Bolton has to be the one that takes the knife when all these people were a part of this process.

Judd is on the board overseeing the football and list management profile.

They all have a stake in where we are at right now.
Judd was one of the architects of the rebuild plan. He was part of selection committee that hired Bolton.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Ratts? Of all coaches since the turn of the millenium his recird is far superior to all others including "super coaches" Pagan and Malthouse. We are going backwards at the moment and Bolts willingness to change steategy mid game is sadly very absent.

Yep... but after what happened in 2012 we would have to beg Ratten to come back.

Back