Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t have to blame him, but you have to hold him accountable.

There’s a worrying and concessional school of thought emerging around Cripps. If we all quietly decide it’s ok for the captain to give up, then what are our expectations for the rest of the list?
He has been carrying the team for years due to youth and now also has to carry the team due to abysmal coaching.

There are only so many Herculean performances you can ask of a player before it becomes a bad joke.

He also gets little to no support from his team mates now that he is getting a tag every week.

We witness star juniors coming in, showing immediate promise and self belief. Then, after being in our system for a while, we see them unable to execute simple bread and butter tasks, eg Dow.

Getting beaten weak after week must sap confidence like a disease that spreads and impacts their shots at goal, passes, etc... Stuff they could previously do in their sleep becomes fifty fifty.

When we start climbing out of this ****** up spot we’re in now (when not if), it might take a long time for the players to build up resilient self confidence. Teams that have risen quickly haven’t had the magnitude and length of underperformance that we’ve had. We’ve been right down the bottom and down there for ages. The boys are going to have it in the back of their minds at key moments. I just hope that echo effect won’t linger too long.

It’s another reason why too much patience can also be dangerous.

Sad to admit it because the truth hurts... But man oh man, I am still crying from the hysterical laughter caused by your avatar pic.

Hands down the funniest image I've seen in years.

And thou shalt mercilessly apply Roundup upon thy greenest of shoots.

Let's just hope it's not permanent damage.

Where's TheCoach16 ?

I said it wouldn't work 2 years ago; here's me eating my words.
I’m right here, big fella...

I was too flat to post. I really thought we’d snatch this one. Funny, we’ve won about 5 from 50 games, and I still think we’re a chance EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
Don’t know if I’m optimistic or delusional. We just weren’t tough enough in tough conditions. Young, fragile bodies were our undoing, yet again.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I think that might spell the end for Bolts. I honestly think that would be a huge mistake by the club, however I’m not sure they can hold their nerve much longer.

As for Casboult, if you can be bothered to check, I called for him to play at CHB over two seasons ago. It’s always made sense to me. He doesn’t need to be a hard running, attacking backman, nor does he need to be pinpoint by foot. Just stand there and be a wall across half back. He’s one of the best contested marks in the game. Then he can just belt the footy 50-60 metres up the line. I think if he continues to play there, he could be very valuable, and extend his playing career.

Credit to Essendon, they were harder and tougher when it counted. Without 5 or 6 of their best players. We were disappointing to say the least.

Onward and upward. We have another game this weekend. I think we’re a huge chance... (sigh)

The only solace I have is that my baby boy is only 3 and half months old. At least Carlton might be watchable and competitive by the time he starts to understand footy. Me? Despondent and just no care factor anymore. What does a win feel like again?

The only solace I have is that my baby boy is only 3 and half months old. At least Carlton might be watchable and competitive by the time he starts to understand footy. Me? Despondent and just no care factor anymore. What does a win feel like again?
I really think that it should be more a case of a young baby gives a better perespective about what is most important in life. It ain't a game I can tell you.

We witness star juniors coming in, showing immediate promise and self belief. Then, after being in our system for a while, we see them unable to execute simple bread and butter tasks, eg Dow.

Getting beaten weak after week must sap confidence like a disease that spreads and impacts their shots at goal, passes, etc... Stuff they could previously do in their sleep becomes fifty fifty.

When we start climbing out of this ****** up spot we’re in now (when not if), it might take a long time for the players to build up resilient self confidence. Teams that have risen quickly haven’t had the magnitude and length of underperformance that we’ve had. We’ve been right down the bottom and down there for ages. The boys are going to have it in the back of their minds at key moments. I just hope that echo effect won’t linger too long.

It’s another reason why too much patience can also be dangerous.

Imagine how s**t Walsh will be in 2 years time. Will be an average player once we have carltonised him. I am already seeing it.

My kids turn 8 and 6 this year! It’s a hard sell let me tell ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids (7 & 8) laugh when they see the scores and the say 'Carltons losing again,......hahaha' - they have no interest in following Carlton. We will lose a generation of supporters at this rate.

3 years I have been telling them 'we will be better this year' - all 3 years I have lied to them (unknowingly)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70% of the time we went inside 50 we didn’t get a shot. Wow

90% we kicked it long to 3 on 5. Essendon knew what we were trying to do and were ready. Everyone knows what we try and do, kick it long to 3 talls. Opposition know to spoil as we have no crumbers. Then waltz the ball out and hit any of 10 free players on the rebound as our mids are jogging. Then hit a fwd on the lead as they have zero pressure on the ball carrier, then we all blame Plowman and Marchy for getting beaten........

90% we kicked it long to 3 on 5. Essendon knew what we were trying to do and were ready. Everyone knows what we try and do, kick it long to 3 talls.
At least my figures are accurate and not just a guesstimate :D but I was expecting “40% of the time to a small with two defenders”

then we all blame Plowman and Marchy for getting beaten........
Mainly plow tbh

At least my figures are accurate and not hurt a guesstimate :D but I was expecting “40% of the time to a small with two defenders”

Mainly plow tbh

Yeah I forgot about SOS and Gibbons as our key forwards, 60% (talls)-30% (smalls) and 10% ok forward delivery.

I actually thought Plowman did an ok job on Tippa in the first half and let im off the leash a bit in the 2nd half but had a tough job, especially with them dominating the play after half time.

Disappointed in Cripps’ sulking the past 3 weeks tbh. Know he’s frustrated but it’s not sitting well with me.

Hope he cuts it out.
Nah he always has a sulk. So does Rance and Franklin. It doesn't bother me personally, Id sulk too if after one year of playing Judd took a whole team of his sholders and put them on mine.

I really wish they'd play him, for a complete match, in the middle.

He is too smart to be a pure forward, and too desperate to be a backman. He's a midfielder, he's just lacked the tank to do it in a modern context.
You thinking he could be a Dunkley type of midfielder?

Don’t worry guys.

It wasn’t the game plan, the players or coach. It was me.

This was the 6th time I’ve come down from Qld to see blues v bombers and I’m 0-6..

So don’t blame Lang for missing 3 sitters in the first half the would have had us within a few points, or the Charlie for missing so many key uncontested marks, or the rest of the team for missing easy kicks or game day coaching for letting Dyson sit outside the contest all day collecting easy possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back