Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t worry guys.

It wasn’t the game plan, the players or coach. It was me.

This was the 6th time I’ve come down from Qld to see blues v bombers and I’m 0-6..

So don’t blame Lang for missing 3 sitters in the first half the would have had us within a few points, or the Charlie for missing so many key uncontested marks, or the rest of the team for missing easy kicks or game day coaching for letting Dyson sit outside the contest all day collecting easy possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selfish. Delist. I'm 28 years old and have never witnessed a live win against *FC. Was overseas in 2011. At least I have the decency to stay home and refuse free tickets for the good of the club.

I jut hope bolts can one day forgive me. I feel horrible..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% we kicked it long to 3 on 5. Essendon knew what we were trying to do and were ready. Everyone knows what we try and do, kick it long to 3 talls. .

To be fair, we normally kick it long to 1 small.....Our talls are never in our F50

I’m right here, big fella...

I was too flat to post. I really thought we’d snatch this one. Funny, we’ve won about 5 from 50 games, and I still think we’re a chance EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
Don’t know if I’m optimistic or delusional. We just weren’t tough enough in tough conditions. Young, fragile bodies were our undoing, yet again.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I think that might spell the end for Bolts. I honestly think that would be a huge mistake by the club, however I’m not sure they can hold their nerve much longer.

As for Casboult, if you can be bothered to check, I called for him to play at CHB over two seasons ago. It’s always made sense to me. He doesn’t need to be a hard running, attacking backman, nor does he need to be pinpoint by foot. Just stand there and be a wall across half back. He’s one of the best contested marks in the game. Then he can just belt the footy 50-60 metres up the line. I think if he continues to play there, he could be very valuable, and extend his playing career.

Credit to Essendon, they were harder and tougher when it counted. Without 5 or 6 of their best players. We were disappointing to say the least.

Onward and upward. We have another game this weekend. I think we’re a huge chance... (sigh)

How would you line up the back 6 in 2020, out of curiosity, if everyone was fit.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking something like:

(Silvagni), Casboult, Jones
Docherty, Weitering, Williamson
With Stocker and Newman up the ground or off the bench.

Got Jack in there as I think his desperation would set a good tone, though I think structurally we might be in need of a true small defender with some real pace. Don't really want another year with Stocker in the backline, but happy for him to rotate through.

How would you line up the back 6 in 2020, out of curiosity, if everyone was fit.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking something like:

(Silvagni), Casboult, Jones
Docherty, Weitering, Williamson
With Stocker and Newman up the ground or off the bench.

Got Jack in there as I think his desperation would set a good tone, though I think structurally we might be in need of a true small defender with some real pace. Don't really want another year with Stocker in the backline, but happy for him to rotate through.

Williamson Jones Newman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank

That would be my ideal back six...

I’m not one of the Plowman bashers. I think he’s a fantastic player, a little down on form currently. But at this stage, I think he just gets squeezed out by the other six.

Thomas has been amazing, but who knows how long he has left.
Obviously Simpson has been incredible back there, but our reliance on him is unhealthy, and he should be given a “lesser” role.

I’d have Casboult as depth.

Williamson Jones Newman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank

That would be my ideal back six...

I’m not one of the Plowman bashers. I think he’s a fantastic player, a little down on form currently. But at this stage, I think he just gets squeezed out by the other six.

Thomas has been amazing, but who knows how long he has left.
Obviously Simpson has been incredible back there, but our reliance on him is unhealthy, and he should be given a “lesser” role.

I’d have Casboult as depth.

Interesting.

I'd be really curious to see what would happen if Jones was able to take the second tall forward. Suspect he could well go to another level if he had a big anchor like Casboult sitting on the key forward. Then Weiters on the third tall as more of a defensive outlet. Surround them with blokes who can tie down a small forward as well as create some drive, and it would make for a strong "unit".

My issue with Marchy and Plow is more in their attitudes. They seem much quicker to drop their heads than some of the others, and while I think they'd be better players in a winning team, I think when the pressure is really on they wilt rather than rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0 players over 25 possessions V 7.

Don't need to see the game to see where this was won and lost and where our problems lie.

Gotta get the leather thing!

We could do with a couple of ball pigs in our team at least.

So I did not see this match as I choose to be on a retreat for the weekend.
I think I cried as much as you who did watch the game.
However, each day I was there the sun came up and bathed the hills with majestic color, the birds sang their songs and life continued.

Hi All,

I was disappointed after the lost, but didn’t want to have a knee-jerk reaction.
I see CFC have done just that, knee-jerk reaction – Bolts gone.
Why? Because of another lost!

I’ll make a few points:

Expectations
Where did you expect the Blues to finish this year? (Mine: bottom 4 – hoping for higher)
It was simple: let’s do better and improved – we are young!
Which means we will have ups and down.

Young team
The Boys were bullied by North, GWS and now Essendon.
We have a bunch of great kids and I do see the green shots, so do other teams (they let me know it).
That’s why they are bulling the young kids, with the lack of a real ENFORCERS (Stocker is tough but young) this will continue, until this tactic is not effective

List Management
We can only get what is available at the time.
We can only get player who want to come over, a few years away.
Current Plan:
3 year ago CFC went down a path, have we given this a fair go?
It was to be a 5 year plan, have we reach the end of this plan?

These player are our future, I have pick a 18 players I like:

Backline: (Avg age: 22.3)
Caleb Marchbank (23)
Jacob Weitering (22)
Jack Silvagni (22)
Tom Williamson (21)
Lochie O'Brien (20)
Sam Docherty (26)

Mid: (Avg age: 20.5)
Paddy Dow (20)
Patrick Cripps (24)
Liam Stocker (19)
Zac Fisher (21)
Sam Walsh (19)

Ruck
Tom De Koning (20)

Forwards (22.1)
Harry McKay (22)
Mitch McGovern (25)
David Cuningham (22)
Charlie Curnow (22)
Sam Petrevski-Seton (21)
Will Setterfield (21)

Ave age is 21.6 – so realistic we are about 5 years away (that’s my expectation)

We have one of the youngest team at the moment. We are building for a future, not for NOW! So why are we reacting with this poor lost so badly?
We have the talent and we will lose some of these player and we will gain others, the nature of football. We require a little patients with these kids and the club. Remember GWS started in 2012 it’s has a great list, this has been a 7 years building. They have lost a lot of good player, but are very competitive (and we didn’t have the amount of free picks) so we have done OK, but we can still improve.

Past
We can look at our mistakes and look at what we could or should done, it’s the pass (move on)
But saying that, the only time I felt really disappointed, is when we replaced Ratts, our biggest mistake, this set us back 10 years. My only concern now is we don’t end up with another Malthouse. I hope Ratts can forgive and come back, this would be a really good story and he is the man for the job.

Media
Negative news = sells
Remember the line “Bolts need to have 6+ wins to hold his job”
This was set-up early, and was waiting for a moment for him/CFC to fail.

Hi All,

I was disappointed after the lost, but didn’t want to have a knee-jerk reaction.
I see CFC have done just that, knee-jerk reaction – Bolts gone.
Why? Because of another lost!

I’ll make a few points:

Expectations
Where did you expect the Blues to finish this year? (Mine: bottom 4 – hoping for higher)
It was simple: let’s do better and improved – we are young!
Which means we will have ups and down.

Young team
The Boys were bullied by North, GWS and now Essendon.
We have a bunch of great kids and I do see the green shots, so do other teams (they let me know it).
That’s why they are bulling the young kids, with the lack of a real ENFORCERS (Stocker is tough but young) this will continue, until this tactic is not effective

List Management
We can only get what is available at the time.
We can only get player who want to come over, a few years away.
Current Plan:
3 year ago CFC went down a path, have we given this a fair go?
It was to be a 5 year plan, have we reach the end of this plan?

These player are our future, I have pick a 18 players I like:

Backline: (Avg age: 22.3)
Caleb Marchbank (23)
Jacob Weitering (22)
Jack Silvagni (22)
Tom Williamson (21)
Lochie O'Brien (20)
Sam Docherty (26)

Mid: (Avg age: 20.5)
Paddy Dow (20)
Patrick Cripps (24)
Liam Stocker (19)
Zac Fisher (21)
Sam Walsh (19)

Ruck
Tom De Koning (20)

Forwards (22.1)
Harry McKay (22)
Mitch McGovern (25)
David Cuningham (22)
Charlie Curnow (22)
Sam Petrevski-Seton (21)
Will Setterfield (21)

Ave age is 21.6 – so realistic we are about 5 years away (that’s my expectation)

We have one of the youngest team at the moment. We are building for a future, not for NOW! So why are we reacting with this poor lost so badly?
We have the talent and we will lose some of these player and we will gain others, the nature of football. We require a little patients with these kids and the club. Remember GWS started in 2012 it’s has a great list, this has been a 7 years building. They have lost a lot of good player, but are very competitive (and we didn’t have the amount of free picks) so we have done OK, but we can still improve.

Past
We can look at our mistakes and look at what we could or should done, it’s the pass (move on)
But saying that, the only time I felt really disappointed, is when we replaced Ratts, our biggest mistake, this set us back 10 years. My only concern now is we don’t end up with another Malthouse. I hope Ratts can forgive and come back, this would be a really good story and he is the man for the job.

Media
Negative news = sells
Remember the line “Bolts need to have 6+ wins to hold his job”
This was set-up early, and was waiting for a moment for him/CFC to fail.
Excellent post. Really good points and I agree with much of it.
The only thing I will say is why set the guy up to fail if you really believe he is the one to take you all the way. Well you just don't. So there must already have been question marks over the coach before the season even began. Stuff we don't see or know about. That is the only possible conclusion.

This is why we have to take almost everything in this forum as nothing more than uninformed opinions. With very few exceptions we simply do not know the ins and outs behind the Princes Park doors.

We are too young.
We were robbed by the umpires.
Too many injuries.

You can always find excuses if you want them.

This age thing is starting to give me the shits. Sure a footy player may peak in their mid 20's and it is "ideal" to have as many in this age bracket as possible, but that doesn't make an 18 year old, or a 35 year old, useless. Too many accepting youth as an excuse.
We should be embracing it, the positivity of youth rather than focusing on the perceived negatives.
Embrace the exuberance of youth, the daring, the fearlessness, the devil may care attitude.

Back